Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wide range in LSAT Scores  (Read 1688 times)

BGOM

• View Profile
Wide range in LSAT Scores
« on: September 05, 2004, 05:11:00 PM »
     I took the LSAT in June and scored 170. However, I had a couple "horror story" experiences and scored only 153 and 149 the first two times taking the test. I realize now that I should have cancelled the first two scores, but after taking all of the Next Ten LSATs under actual testing conditions I never scored below 167. I just did not think that the things that happened would have such a great effect. Anyway, it's too late to do anything about those scores now other than write an addendum.
     When looking at my chances of admission, must I limit myself to schools whose LSAT numbers are around my average LSAT score 157? Conversely, is there a realistic chance that schools will take the large disparity between the scores into account and use the most recent score or something close when making an admission decision? I would appreciate any input you have!

BlueGirl

• I miss the squirrel...
    • View Profile
Re: Wide range in LSAT Scores
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004, 08:04:27 PM »
How long ago were your first two scores?

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004, 09:06:54 PM »
All depends on the school.  Some will just look at the highest score and ignore the rest.  IMO a dramatic rise shows you cracked down and worked at it - never a bad thing.

BGOM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 02:02:16 AM »
How long ago were your first two scores?
   Thanks for the reply. The two bad scores occurred about 2 years ago. I am a NC resident and would probably go to UNC-Chapel Hill if accepted... unless I were to receive an outstanding financial aid package somewhere else. Their median LSAT of 162 is quite a bit above my average of 157 but well below the 170 I received on the most recent test. Thus, how they are likely to assess my lsat scores is important in making a decision about whether or not to apply. Since I will apply to more than just one school, it would also be helpful to know whether to focus on schools in the 157 range or 170 range. Perhaps somewhere in the middle like UNC? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If it makes any difference, my undergraduate gpa was 3.65.

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2004, 10:01:31 AM »
http://www.deloggio.com/homepage/faq/academic/twolsat.htm

According to Deloggio, as of 2000, UNC always takes the highest score.

EDIT:  From UNC Law's website:

"If the LSAT is taken more than once, the highest of the scores earned may be used."

http://www.law.unc.edu/PAStudents/PAStudentsPage.aspx?ID=41&Q=1

I'd call them and get some clarification on that "may be used" part.