Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: new approach  (Read 1162 times)

kulesh1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
new approach
« on: January 03, 2007, 12:12:55 AM »
after changing my test taking demeanor i have found that the athletic competition mentality does not transition the best, or even well, to taking the lsat.   i am now doing much better with a logical and methodical approach where i just break down each section in key parts.  so no more watching rudy or listening to pre games speeches to get hyped up..... calm and logical demeanor=165+..for those of you who remember: the lsat is no longer a malicious entity whose only aspiration is to dispose of my dreams,  just a logic test
preppers, 165(right track), 159(pathetic), 168(sweet), 170!(who is da man) 159:(..(terrible) 170, 172, (needs no articulation)

FutureAmbulanceChaser

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: new approach
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 01:46:14 AM »
Hey Kulesh u have any advice on how to combat the games section? I have been reading your posts and notice that u are strong in the LG section but a bit weak in the RC section. I am the exact opposite. RC poses no problem for me while i usually at best get 10 right in the LG section. I am surprised that RC gives you problems because i too am a philosophy major and the texts in philosophy is way harder and boring than anything the LSAT can throw at you

kulesh1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 02:40:21 AM »
hey ambulance chaser(funny name)  i have been doing much better on the rc, i was naive and negligent to beleive that i could read the passages in the same way i study for a philosophy test, as in philosohpy, knowledge of the key concepts is sufficent if you can argue your positions, however the lsat will ask things that are insignicant just to see if you can absorb 100% of the material.  as soon as i realized my mistake i began missing 4-5 out of 27/28(the current ones) which isnt great but wont hurt me in pursuit of my 165+.   now to your question,   my advice is to first build a strong foundation with regard to rules and concepts, the games bible is the easiest and quickest way to accomplish this.   after you have achieved this get your handz on every prep test ever released, my secret is to study the inferences as if they were individual formulas that you were going to be tested on.   for example, an easy inference might be that A is always with B/ and B is never with C. obviously A is never with c.   go over this like 15 times until it gets stuck in your brain.    this wont help much with inferences that easy, but if you have the general idea of the difficult inferences memorized then when you see the same idea again it just clicks and you dont really have to do much, as obviously the types of inferences repeat themselves.  so basically dissect each game after you have done it,  study it instead of doing it.   secondly, and this is again just to impress the cruxial ideas on your brain,  go through every games at least twice, i am mid way through my second round and i have found that i remember everthing that i have studied, so my only problem is making errors in the setup(which can be a real killer). last, never give up on a game, there is always a chance, no matter how wierd it is, that you will see something similar on your test, if you have to, spend a 20 min trying to figure it out, if you absolutely cant, someone on this board will help you. so essentially my advice is to study the games and not merely do them, and practice until until the inferences are second nature, for me this took going through every games twice(ball park).  good luck and i am happy to answer more specific questions is you have any. later
preppers, 165(right track), 159(pathetic), 168(sweet), 170!(who is da man) 159:(..(terrible) 170, 172, (needs no articulation)

kulesh1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 03:04:33 AM »
as a testiment to the soundness of my approach, i just had the best lr section i have ever had(-1) by taking each question individually and not worrying about time AT ALL until the five minute warning.  awesome feeling to know that you can improve your scores greatly just by changing your perspective.

bubDread

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 09:31:12 AM »
after changing my test taking demeanor i have found that the athletic competition mentality does not transition the best, or even well, to taking the lsat.   i am now doing much better with a logical and methodical approach where i just break down each section in key parts.  so no more watching rudy or listening to pre games speeches to get hyped up..... calm and logical demeanor=165+..for those of you who remember: the lsat is no longer a malicious entity whose only aspiration is to dispose of my dreams,  just a logic test

i told you dood

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • tea baggers, unite! screw u.s.a.!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 10:33:12 AM »
after changing my test taking demeanor i have found that the athletic competition mentality does not transition the best, or even well, to taking the lsat. i am now doing much better with a logical and methodical approach where i just break down each section in key parts. so no more watching rudy or listening to pre games speeches to get hyped up..... calm and logical demeanor=165+..for those of you who remember: the lsat is no longer a malicious entity whose only aspiration is to dispose of my dreams, just a logic test

duh.

kulesh1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 03:17:45 PM »
yeah pat, i forgot to give you credit, lol.  the only place that the old mentality is beneficail is for perservering when you are burnt out. not for the actual questions. late

RITTANDOCHO FORGOT HIS PW

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 03:20:56 PM »
hey ambulance chaser(funny name)  i have been doing much better on the rc, i was naive and negligent to beleive that i could read the passages in the same way i study for a philosophy test, as in philosohpy, knowledge of the key concepts is sufficent if you can argue your positions, however the lsat will ask things that are insignicant just to see if you can absorb 100% of the material.  as soon as i realized my mistake i began missing 4-5 out of 27/28(the current ones) which isnt great but wont hurt me in pursuit of my 165+.   now to your question,   my advice is to first build a strong foundation with regard to rules and concepts, the games bible is the easiest and quickest way to accomplish this.   after you have achieved this get your handz on every prep test ever released, my secret is to study the inferences as if they were individual formulas that you were going to be tested on.   for example, an easy inference might be that A is always with B/ and B is never with C. obviously A is never with c.   go over this like 15 times until it gets stuck in your brain.    this wont help much with inferences that easy, but if you have the general idea of the difficult inferences memorized then when you see the same idea again it just clicks and you dont really have to do much, as obviously the types of inferences repeat themselves.  so basically dissect each game after you have done it,  study it instead of doing it.   secondly, and this is again just to impress the cruxial ideas on your brain,  go through every games at least twice, i am mid way through my second round and i have found that i remember everthing that i have studied, so my only problem is making errors in the setup(which can be a real killer). last, never give up on a game, there is always a chance, no matter how wierd it is, that you will see something similar on your test, if you have to, spend a 20 min trying to figure it out, if you absolutely cant, someone on this board will help you. so essentially my advice is to study the games and not merely do them, and practice until until the inferences are second nature, for me this took going through every games twice(ball park).  good luck and i am happy to answer more specific questions is you have any. later
duuude...paragraphs.
lsat 171, 179
gpa 3.5

kulesh1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 03:23:10 PM »
lol, my bad, i always write like im a moron on this site despite having decent ability in that area.

Poops

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 03:55:51 PM »

kulesh, you are the man!
thanks for great explanation!