Law School Discussion

3.0 and 152 worth trying?

b15

3.0 and 152 worth trying?
« on: January 02, 2007, 12:33:25 PM »
Could someone list some possible schools for me and if it is worth testing the application process with these numbers?

Thanks

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: 3.0 and 152 worth trying?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 12:36:41 PM »
http://www.ilrg.com/rankings.html

manipulate the data there to find some schools.  It is worth it if law is what you really want to do.  Good luck.

ptown

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 01:12:51 PM »
depends on where you want to proactice

If small-medium city in Midwest - yes

If east coast or other metropolis with high COL and several t20 schools in immediate area such as New York - No

Unless you just really want to be a lawyer and dont care much about job prospect risk, etc, then yes.

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 01:24:26 PM »
Could someone list some possible schools for me and if it is worth testing the application process with these numbers?

Thanks

It's worth it. There are plenty of reputable regional schools where you'd have a decent shot of getting in, but you may have to try for PT. Stetson in Tampa/Gulfport is a good choice for PT, as is IU-Indy (although slightly less likely there). Job prospects from both of those schools are quite good. The key is looking for areas that are not otherwise saturated with higher ranked schools.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 06:07:19 PM »
Hi,

I've scored the exact same on my practice LSAT's, but my UGPA is a bit higher.  Considering most schools weigh the LSAT more, you might find some of my strong schools useful to you.  You could consider these your safe schools.

Barry
Western State
Oklahoma City
Appalaichan
St Thomas FL
Cooley
Ave Maria
John Marshall - ATL
Detroit Mercy
Texas Southern
Touro
Widener

You might want to consider some regional T3s in your area, they might be a bit of a reach, but they're worth a shot.  Duquesne (pittsburgh) is about 58% for me.  Note that Barry had its provisional accreditation yanked at one point, and that John Marshall ATL and Western State are provisionally accredited.

andyroberts

• Amy?
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 06:26:37 PM »
Someone above implied that having a 3.0 undergrad and 152 bars you from ever working on the east coast.

That person was not very smart.

I tend to agree. Although you (like me) are not going to a T1 or T2 with those numbers, barring some seriously impressive softies, there are plenty of good schools with strong local reputations and some that could market you effectively wherever you want to go.  The caveat is, you will have to be a top performer at a lower-ranked school in order to make yourself marketable in biglaw.  Check out (hope this link works)http://www.infirmation.com/shared/insider/payscale.tcl
to see national and international biglaw firms and check out the attorney bios on their respective websites.  You may be surprised at the placement of certain schools' alumni into these firms that, by the way, pay pretty damned well for a kid just out of school.  You can also search most firms' professionals by their alma matters.  Good luck to you.

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 06:26:52 PM »
Yes definitely. This board is full of overachieving people that wouldn't dream of going to a T3 or T4 but imagine if people decided not to go to college because they couldn't get into a top school. You would think they were ridiculous. My boss the COO of a huge corporation (with over 1000) employees went to a T4 and is probably one of the smartest and most respected people of anyone i have ever met. She is the reason that I am still applying to law school though previously  i wouldn't go unless it was a tier 1 or 2.  People on this board are wannabe lawyers NOT lawyers. What do they know? There are lots of lawers who go to "bad" schools and do very well professionally just as there are lots of lawyers that go to good schools and just can't cut it. We all have a friend who is brilliant, got straight A's and can't make an argument to save their life and we all know the person who barely passed school, but yet we believe every word that comes out of their mouth.

andyroberts

• Amy?
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 06:31:20 PM »
Sorry that link didn't take.  You can find it on findlaw.com. 
Also, Nead, you are absolutely correct.  Besides not being able to make a good argument, some (assumably so--although I know none personally) who attend top schools are fooled into thinking just because they go to XYZ University their previous merit is enough to carry them through to future success.  The bottom line is, these firms will look at you first if you are from a T14 or whatever reputable school.  They will HIRE you if you impress them with impressive grades, professional writing and reasoning ability, and overall integrity.  In the end, they want a manageable and profitable asset, not a guy who comes in on a Casual Friday wearing a Yale Law T-Shirt.  Word, homeys.

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 09:58:57 PM »
i absolutely agree. this cannot be said enough, but your lsat score has no correlation whatsoever with your law school success. apply anywhere you want bc the whole app process is an unwieldly beast and you never know what will happen.

Yes definitely. This board is full of overachieving people that wouldn't dream of going to a T3 or T4 but imagine if people decided not to go to college because they couldn't get into a top school. You would think they were ridiculous. My boss the COO of a huge corporation (with over 1000) employees went to a T4 and is probably one of the smartest and most respected people of anyone i have ever met. She is the reason that I am still applying to law school though previously  i wouldn't go unless it was a tier 1 or 2.  People on this board are wannabe lawyers NOT lawyers. What do they know? There are lots of lawers who go to "bad" schools and do very well professionally just as there are lots of lawyers that go to good schools and just can't cut it. We all have a friend who is brilliant, got straight A's and can't make an argument to save their life and we all know the person who barely passed school, but yet we believe every word that comes out of their mouth.

S2X

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 02:50:30 AM »
To OP:

Go for it.  Look into applying at a bunch of T3s and T4s...maybe a few T2s and such.