Law School Discussion

Feed Lily's music obsession

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
Re: Feed Lily's music obsession
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2007, 10:38:33 PM »
What if I hijack the feminist reading thread though?

Or, you know, you could read things from the feminist reading thread, hank.

JSIA.

Yeah I suppose that could happen. 

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2007, 10:54:01 PM »
Breadboy:

Why classical?

In a word: complexity.

No no, I get all of that. In a word, though: obvious.

I don't dislike classical. But I also think much of the music I and others have listed is uniquely complicated, original, and intelligent.

Bingo.  Which is why breadboy's a f-ing retard.

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2007, 11:01:27 PM »
I don't dislike classical. But I also think much of the music I and others have listed is uniquely complicated, original, and intelligent.

It only sounds original, complicated and intelligent because you haven't trained your ear to distinguish the difference. Essentially, you're comparing Judy Bloom to Goethe because you don't have a proper frame of reference from which to draw. Just read through that thread.  ;)

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2007, 11:15:25 PM »
Right now listening to Olivia Tremor Control's "Dusk at Cubist Castle."  Someone on here recommended it to me; excellent choice!

And Breadboy, perhaps you could elaborate on why you think complexity is desirable?  Is complex music inherently better than simple music?  What does "complex music" even mean?

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2007, 11:17:18 PM »
And Breadboy, perhaps you could elaborate on why you think complexity is desirable?

I can.

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2007, 11:18:13 PM »

It only sounds original, complicated and intelligent because you haven't trained your ear to distinguish the difference. Essentially, you're comparing Judy Bloom to Goethe because you don't have a proper frame of reference from which to draw. Just read through that thread.  ;)

No, its quite more than that. It's experimenting with different sounds, tones, approaches to music, timing signatures, vocal melodies, emotional and intellectual expressions, etc.

It's more like comparing Pynchon or Eggers or Carver or Munro to Goethe. Only not.

Music is so tied to era, and music is currently so very vast that this argument is ridiculous.

Proper frame of reference. I know you say that tongue in cheek. Nice try, though.

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2007, 11:24:32 PM »
No, its quite more than that. It's experimenting with different sounds, tones, approaches to music, timing signatures, vocal melodies, emotional and intellectual expressions, etc.

I promise that you'll figure this out if you just read through a few of those pages.

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2007, 11:31:00 PM »

I promise that you'll figure this out if you just read through a few of those pages.

I would have no problem writing a 250 page analysis of Judy Blume.

What are you trying to point out, besides the obvious?

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2007, 11:34:28 PM »
I would have no problem writing a 250 page analysis of Judy Blume.

What are you trying to point out, besides the obvious?

Place your hand on the mouse and move your cursor over the following link. Depress the left mouse button and tell me when you've finished.

http://www.good-music-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,3734.0.html

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2007, 11:45:03 PM »
Yawn. Done. Nothing I haven't heard before.

Make your point.