Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SMU Early Acceptances?  (Read 1888 times)

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
SMU Early Acceptances?
« on: January 02, 2007, 01:46:45 PM »
I know they had one batch of acceptances go out (by phone, I believe) on Dec. 20th, has anybody gotten anything since then?

I did some searches and looked at lawschoolnumbers.com for previous years and it seems pretty unusual for them to do this early acceptance.  Also it says in the email telling me my app was complete that they would contact us by mail, that no acceptances would go out by phone or email - yet everyone says they got a phone call.

Any other info about what SMU is doing this year would be appreciated.  I'm sweating this.  :)

kirkcameronsgf

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ever since I can remember, I been poppin' my colla
    • View Profile
Re: SMU Early Acceptances?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 01:53:35 PM »
*tag* cause I wanna know too.

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 02:13:00 PM »
from lsn,
it looks like the latest someone applied for ed and got news of acceptance already was 11/17

my ed app package went in 2 wks later.
i'm hoping that's why i haven't heard anything.

okayplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 02:19:34 PM »
I don't have much insight as to what they are doing this year, but they took their sweet old Texas time last year.  I received my acceptance *AFTER* they said they would send out the final acceptances.  It was a relief to get it (as I am now attending) but the wait was interminable.  Good luck to you guys!!!!

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 02:31:50 PM »
ut is such a reach that i'm really banking on smu coming through

kirkcameronsgf

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 02:46:25 PM »
I don't have much insight as to what they are doing this year, but they took their sweet old Texas time last year.  I received my acceptance *AFTER* they said they would send out the final acceptances.  It was a relief to get it (as I am now attending) but the wait was interminable.  Good luck to you guys!!!!

okayplayer, I live in Dallas, so I know about the campus and buildings and all of that..  but how do you like the law school itself?  Is it what you hoped it would be?

I sent mine in on October 20 and still nothing!  Boo!!

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 03:24:06 PM »
I got mine in before the EA deadline, but not by a ton.  I think I sent it November 20th or something.  Wasn't complete until Dec 9th?  Stupid LSAC takes so long with LOR's.

I wonder if they are trying to get acceptances out earlier this year.  God I hope so.. my wife is sick of me sweating this all the time.  :)

kirkcameronsgf

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 03:26:42 PM »
I got mine in before the EA deadline, but not by a ton.  I think I sent it November 20th or something.  Wasn't complete until Dec 9th?  Stupid LSAC takes so long with LOR's.

I wonder if they are trying to get acceptances out earlier this year.  God I hope so.. my wife is sick of me sweating this all the time.  :)

I heard last year they took FOREVER to send out decisions.

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 03:30:13 PM »
either george mason or wm & mary said they didn't do rolling admissions and would send out acceptances around april

how insane is that?

okayplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 04:37:24 PM »

okayplayer, I live in Dallas, so I know about the campus and buildings and all of that..  but how do you like the law school itself?  Is it what you hoped it would be?

I sent mine in on October 20 and still nothing!  Boo!!

I'm really liking it so far, the final for the legal writing class was pretty intense the first semester, and I have some issues with how that class was handled, but the rest of the classes were solid.  I especially like my contracts professor (Crespi), if you are in the full-time program then I think you will have a 50/50 shot to get him next year.  Everyone that had him in the passed, loves him and takes all of his upper level stuff (as I hope to do too!!!).  He gives out all of his old exams going back 15 years (but he expects the most out of you during the exam).  The dean seems pretty down to earth, but I have not had any significant contact with him at all.  The school has a confident, not cocky, attitude of itself, which I like, plus the career services department seems on the ball as well.  If there is anything else you want to know, let me know.

I'm not too sure about any extracurricular activities (Moot/Mock/Review, as I will be getting more into that aspect next year, but there seems to be ALOT of opportunity for those kind of pursuits.