Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thought Exercise on Ethnicity Categories  (Read 733 times)

lawyer_wannabe

• View Profile
Thought Exercise on Ethnicity Categories
« on: January 02, 2007, 05:51:40 AM »
Okay, this does not apply to me or anyone I know, but I was wondering what would be the appropriate way to fill out the Ethnicity portion of law school applications in the following hypothetical scenarios:

#1. Some law schools have the category "Latino" while others specify "Latino/Other Spanish-American". To what extent should this include Latin and South American countries that do not speak Spanish? I know there have been previous discussions about whether Brazil should be considered part of Latin America (with inconclusive results). But what about French possessions (Martinique, Guadeloupe, French Guinea)? Or Guyana? Or Dutch-speaking Suriname and the Netherlands Antilles? Why or why not?

#2. It is my impression that most Russians and Middle Easterners end up marking White/Caucasian or Other. I'm curious if any of them have tried claiming Asian status instead. Should they be allowed to? (True, in many cases being considered Asian will be detrimental for admissions but for this purpose, let's assume a Southern law school that is actively recruiting "Asians").

#3. To what extent (if any) should Egyptians be considered African? Should Egyptian-American be considered a subset of African-American for the purpose of ethnicity?

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
Re: Thought Exercise on Ethnicity Categories
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 07:09:45 AM »
To what extent (if any) should Egyptians be considered African?

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: Thought Exercise on Ethnicity Categories
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 09:46:54 AM »
To what extent (if any) should Egyptians be considered African?

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

I had the same  ??? thought in my head.  Egypt is in Africa and despite what they may think, they are African. SMH
Columbia 3L