Law School Discussion

What's the deal with law school and religion?

sk

• Not as scary as it looks!
    • View Profile
    • Email
What's the deal with law school and religion?
« on: January 01, 2007, 09:14:50 PM »
So what's the deal with Jesuit law schools, such as Notre Dame, Fordham, and Boston College? Is the religious affiliation noticeable? If so, in what way?

Basically, will I feel comfortable attending one of the above mentioned law schools as a non-Christian??

Thanks!

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: What's the deal with law school and religion?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 09:21:57 PM »
So what's the deal with Jesuit law schools, such as Notre Dame, Fordham, and Boston College? Is the religious affiliation noticeable? If so, in what way?

Basically, will I feel comfortable attending one of the above mentioned law schools as a non-Christian??

Thanks!

1st, Notre Dame is not jesuit.
2nd from the people I have talked to that go to ND and BC it seems to make very little difference.  I don't think BC can tout their jewish profs and students enough in their material.  There might be a few religion-related courses and these schools seem to have a  big focus on human rights stuff which may or may not be related to their religious affil but other than that it seems the influence is negligible.

RUMike

• I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 09:51:21 PM »
Fordham has Jewish and Muslim law student associations and courses in the laws in each of those religions. It has an OUTlaw, a students "for choice" group. I heard they serve kosher food and I know some Jewish people who went there without issue. I really don't see it being a problem at all there.

Notre Dame has a Jewish law student association, but I'm kind of curious to know how religion mingles in there. I'm less familiar with ND, but very curious. I hope someone else can offer some insight on this.

sk

• Not as scary as it looks!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 07:05:16 PM »
Thanks for the help guys... Any other thoughts?

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 07:33:09 PM »

I go to ND and while there are a few overzealous gunners who come out of the woodwork semi-regularly, they don't really meet with their classmates' or professors' approval. Within 1L, aside from the occasional prayer you may hear at the beginning of class and occasional ethics/morality discussions that don't seem to have any religious basis, I don't feel like you'll have a much different experience than you'd have at a secular school. During 2L-3L, there are a variety of courses with a religious theme, but they're all optional.

RUMike

• I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 08:26:31 PM »

I go to ND and while there are a few overzealous gunners who come out of the woodwork semi-regularly, they don't really meet with their classmates' or professors' approval. Within 1L, aside from the occasional prayer you may hear at the beginning of class and occasional ethics/morality discussions that don't seem to have any religious basis, I don't feel like you'll have a much different experience than you'd have at a secular school. During 2L-3L, there are a variety of courses with a religious theme, but they're all optional.

Is there class prayer or this is done by individuals privately?

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 08:37:26 PM »
you'd be amazed at all the "atheist" kids who asked me to bless them before finals.   :D

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 09:04:02 PM »

Is there class prayer or this is done by individuals privately?

I had only one prof last semester who did the same class prayer each time- just a general "Please help me learn and interpret the material" sort of thing.

Sweetpri

• I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 12:13:07 PM »
I applied to Notre Dame and under "Religion" I put something that is not Christian.  Anyone think that could that hurt my chances?

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 12:25:49 PM »
no.  maybe a small plus, even.