Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What's the deal with law school and religion?  (Read 803 times)

sk

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not as scary as it looks!
    • View Profile
    • Email
What's the deal with law school and religion?
« on: January 01, 2007, 11:14:50 PM »
So what's the deal with Jesuit law schools, such as Notre Dame, Fordham, and Boston College? Is the religious affiliation noticeable? If so, in what way?

Basically, will I feel comfortable attending one of the above mentioned law schools as a non-Christian??

Thanks!
"buffoons don't clerk for federal judges!"

--LSN--

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: What's the deal with law school and religion?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 11:21:57 PM »
So what's the deal with Jesuit law schools, such as Notre Dame, Fordham, and Boston College? Is the religious affiliation noticeable? If so, in what way?

Basically, will I feel comfortable attending one of the above mentioned law schools as a non-Christian??

Thanks!

1st, Notre Dame is not jesuit.
2nd from the people I have talked to that go to ND and BC it seems to make very little difference.  I don't think BC can tout their jewish profs and students enough in their material.  There might be a few religion-related courses and these schools seem to have a  big focus on human rights stuff which may or may not be related to their religious affil but other than that it seems the influence is negligible.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

RUMike

• Sr. Citizen
  • I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 11:51:21 PM »
Fordham has Jewish and Muslim law student associations and courses in the laws in each of those religions. It has an OUTlaw, a students "for choice" group. I heard they serve kosher food and I know some Jewish people who went there without issue. I really don't see it being a problem at all there.

Notre Dame has a Jewish law student association, but I'm kind of curious to know how religion mingles in there. I'm less familiar with ND, but very curious. I hope someone else can offer some insight on this.

sk

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not as scary as it looks!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 09:05:16 PM »
Thanks for the help guys... Any other thoughts?
"buffoons don't clerk for federal judges!"

--LSN--

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 09:33:09 PM »

I go to ND and while there are a few overzealous gunners who come out of the woodwork semi-regularly, they don't really meet with their classmates' or professors' approval. Within 1L, aside from the occasional prayer you may hear at the beginning of class and occasional ethics/morality discussions that don't seem to have any religious basis, I don't feel like you'll have a much different experience than you'd have at a secular school. During 2L-3L, there are a variety of courses with a religious theme, but they're all optional.

RUMike

• Sr. Citizen
  • I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 10:26:31 PM »

I go to ND and while there are a few overzealous gunners who come out of the woodwork semi-regularly, they don't really meet with their classmates' or professors' approval. Within 1L, aside from the occasional prayer you may hear at the beginning of class and occasional ethics/morality discussions that don't seem to have any religious basis, I don't feel like you'll have a much different experience than you'd have at a secular school. During 2L-3L, there are a variety of courses with a religious theme, but they're all optional.

Is there class prayer or this is done by individuals privately?

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 10:37:26 PM »
you'd be amazed at all the "atheist" kids who asked me to bless them before finals.   :D

non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 11:04:02 PM »

Is there class prayer or this is done by individuals privately?

I had only one prof last semester who did the same class prayer each time- just a general "Please help me learn and interpret the material" sort of thing.

Sweetpri

• Sr. Citizen
  • I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 02:13:07 PM »
I applied to Notre Dame and under "Religion" I put something that is not Christian.  Anyone think that could that hurt my chances?
University of Toledo 0L

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 02:25:49 PM »
no.  maybe a small plus, even.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...