Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The GW thread  (Read 85641 times)

Imelda Marcos

• Sr. Citizen
  • If the "Choo" fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The GW thread
« Reply #1510 on: March 13, 2007, 02:49:30 PM »
Thanks DrP!

Yeah I am 23, I will be 24 in September, so I know what you mean about taking some time.  If I retake it will actually be my third score.  I only improved 2 points between 1 and 2, but to be honest and fair I hardly studied at all.  I didn't feel confident either time coming out of the test, I knew I missed a fair amount. 

I did get private tutoring for only about 4 hours because it was so expensive before the first time I took it, and my instructor said that my reasoning was there, and if I could only improve on games, and get the few really subtle LR questions right I would be a low 170s for sure.  Of course I know I can't rely on her words alone, but it was nice to hear someone with so much experience (Dorothy Newman/Moneymaker, she started Testmasters with Robin himself) tell me I could do it.  I think the problem was that I took on too much with school and all and didn't allow enough study time.  If I had it to do all over again I would take a year off, and devote it purely to studying, while working an internship or volunteering to add to the application packet.

That said, my soft factors are ok.  Vice Chair Judicial Board on student gov for 2 years, Pre Law Society, Phi Alpha Delta pre law fraternity, internship with DC Attorney General, internship with Orange County Pubic Defenders Office, but I feel like that's all very standard and I could benefit from something that will set me apart.

Sorry this got ridiculously long.  I will definitely visit both schools.  I just need to see Catholic.  Loyola is really teeny tiny, and not overly impressive, but it's ranked quite a bit higher.  I'm also wondering if it will be harder to transfer from a tier 3 then a tier 2?
It's Official Loyola class of 2010!!

WL still pending, fingers crossed it would make for a much easier decision!

r85

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #1511 on: March 13, 2007, 02:50:04 PM »
The admissions rep told me that all the scholarship money is gone for this year.
Wow, really? I can't believe that's the case. They won't even know who is coming to accept their scholarship money until after April 15th, and more likely June 15th. And they've said to 2L's who didn't get 1L money but were hoping for some this year that they won't know about financial aid for them until the fall, because that's how long it will take them to finish 1L's.

Maybe she meant it's all been allocated at this point, and what isn't accepted will be re-allocated to those actually attending? There are a whole lot of people who turned down the full tuition/housing option on LSN and that translates to millions of dollars in unclaimed financial aid. That pool will only grow larger. Seems like a bizarre thing to do to not re-allocate it. But, maybe they were only willing to extend themselves that far for the really high-ranked numbers; this was the first year of this experiment after all.

Sorry, should have said gone for the moment.  I asked her about what happens when people withdraw from the school, and she said that in that case, then yes, the money is redistributed, but there's just no way of knowing how many people will withdraw and to whom it will be given later.  So... I'm hoping that the people going to T-14s withdraw soon and thus the money can be trickled down to us :)

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: March 13, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
cmon G-dub, open those wallets and let's see how bad you really want us!

dcforlife

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: March 13, 2007, 03:06:09 PM »
Sorry, should have said gone for the moment.  I asked her about what happens when people withdraw from the school, and she said that in that case, then yes, the money is redistributed, but there's just no way of knowing how many people will withdraw and to whom it will be given later.  So... I'm hoping that the people going to T-14s withdraw soon and thus the money can be trickled down to us :)
Ah gotcha, that makes sense. I hope so too! :D

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #1514 on: March 13, 2007, 03:06:50 PM »
Alright this one is going out to all my regulars...latenite, villa, DrP, DCB etc.

Argument for waiting a year:
If you chose to wait a year, not only will you be able to re-take your LSAT and potentially score higher, but you will also put potentially impressive work experience on your resume. You should consider volunteering for a year, or doing Teach for America. Other options to boost your resume include doing a Master's degree (it seems to have helped Data immensely -- Yale.. wow). Worst-case scenario, you will end up back where you started, potentially with a little more money in your pocket, and a better-looking resume.

Argument against waiting a year:
If you take a year off and do not improve your situation, via LSAT scores, or work experience/additional education, you WILL end up exactly where you are now. You will be accepted at the same schools, and ultimately you will have only delayed the inevitable for a year.

Argument for going to a school and transferring:
Usually good/excellent grades as a 1L negate a lower LSAT score. A lot of schools are transfer-friendly, and you'd get a year of law school out of the way. You would still be able to do law-review, most likely, but you'd have to do a write-on, and I'm sure the competition is fierce.

Argument against transferring:
Transferring is only for the top students in any class. There is no guarantee that you can work hard enough to finish in the top-10% and transfer upward. You'd have to meet new people and get involved in new activities. There would be an adjustment period, and you wouldn't have any grades to report at OCI (which may or may not matter).

You need to decide which argument is the strongest. PM me if I can provide any real help.
VIP.

Imelda Marcos

• Sr. Citizen
  • If the "Choo" fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1515 on: March 13, 2007, 03:10:11 PM »
Thank you Villa/Cap'n..so much too think about!!

katrines

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: March 13, 2007, 03:10:28 PM »
And am I correct in remembering that they don't want you to fill out the CSS profile until accepted? Maybe I just made that up to give myself a reason not to have to do it...
Ooooh, fill it out ASAP! It needed to be in by 3/1 -- the GW Supplement is what doesn't need to be done until you've decided to go to GW.

I paid like $23 to fill out that mess by the deadline, and they waitlisted me a few days later. Meanies!  >:(

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: March 13, 2007, 03:16:11 PM »
That's why I didn't bother
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

latenitesession

• Sr. Citizen
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: March 13, 2007, 03:20:19 PM »
Alright this one is going out to all my regulars...latenite, villa, DrP, DCB etc.

Heres what I'm thinking give me your advice/opinions:

1.  I withdraw from everywhere, get privste tutoring, study my butt of take the LSAT in September (I'm graduating in June) and join the masses of retakers in hopefully upping my score.  Reapply next cycle, with hopefully much stronger numbers and try and get in to a upper tier 1.

2.  Go to CUA, or LMU with the (highly improbable) hope of transferring to my dream school?

What I'm worried about:

1.  My score doesn't improve, I've now wasted a year, and any hope of attending the schools I already got into is dashed because I withdrew.

2.  I can't claw my way to the top of the class, becuase law school is unpredictable and so are grades.  If I do manage to get myself in a position to transfer, I lose law review etc, and I didn't get to bond with my 1L class?

HELP!!!!!!!!

PS. Sorry for the seemingly temporary hijak but in fact this does relate to GW as it is my heart and soul and I got the big fat ol WL from them.

Hmmmmmmm. This is tough!

If you are truly unhappy with your options, then work hard and retake the LSAT. Have you just taken it once? It appears that the majority of retakers get at least a couple of points on a retake. If you don't feel that you will be happy at CUA or LMU, then it might be worth it. School isn't cheap, so why throw money at a place that you won't be proud of if you do graduate there. Could you wait a year? For me, I will be 30 when I graduate if I start this Fall. I wouldn't want to put off school any longer, since I will need to start a family some time in my early 30s. My eggs will dry up!

I don't know much about transferring. I DO know that you have to make really awesome grades to do it. It does happen though.

Just think about it, and give it some time. You have some waitlists to hear from, and you never know what can happen! Trust your instincts! Before you withdraw, maybe visit the places you are in, and see if that helps you. Good luck!

Miss Imelda...

Well, it seems to me that you wouldn't be completely happy at any of your current options, and I think that if that's the case, you should strongly consider taking a year off and pursuing option 1. This is especially the case given that, like you said, there are no guarantees in getting a significant score jump or ending up tops in you class after 1L (although I'm sure you can do both ;)): Even if you up your score just a little, you'll still have the opportunity to get a little more seasoning: some WE, some volunteering somewhere, etc. which will certainly help your cause some more. If you think your softs are too standard, maybe do americorps, teach for America, or something of the like. Look for Summer-long volunteer gigs with places like American Cancer Society and organizations like that which could start after the June LSAT... Those experiences can be life-changing and would definitely reflect well on you

If you're worried how a w/d would affect your chances next cycle at the schools you are into already into- I'd just call them and ask. I doubt it's hurt you too much. Also, if your heart isn't in them now, it likely won't be next year either, and I'm sure with a new cycle you will find other schools to apply to that are just as good/better.

All that said, I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. Check out Catholic and talk to some students there about job opps, etc. You might end up loving it there. Also, like DrPep said, you are still on the WL which is by no means a rejection. Definitely get GW that LOCI (if you haven't already) telling them how great they are and how going there will impact your life in ways they couldn't imagine.

I hope this helps and I'll be pulling for you!!!
Fordham (PT)

Imelda Marcos

• Sr. Citizen
  • If the "Choo" fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1519 on: March 13, 2007, 03:46:13 PM »
Thanks latenite, I knew I could count on my reggies for support!  ;)