Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The GW thread  (Read 84944 times)

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
Re: The GW thread
« Reply #1500 on: March 13, 2007, 11:18:38 AM »
They have a seeming cutoff for merit based aid, and it's slightly odd because they'll give a TON of money to people who meet that cutoff but nothing to people who don't. It's like an all or nothing deal, and it's kinda silly IMO. FWIW, I think their cutoff is 167/~3.8 for 20k and 168/3.8+ for the full ride.

Not to sound bratty, but I think I got screwed. It seems like I missed it b/c I have a 3.7. Sorry about my B-minus in environmental geology freshman year. Yargh I'm bitter.

You have no right to be bitter -- it's your own fault you couldn't pull that up to a B! I'm totally kidding, by the way. I completely agree with you that you got screwed. As I said before, the way they are handling merit aid makes no sense to me. It's literally either 20k or a full ride. Nothing in between, and nothing less than that. And you're right -- a few more A's here and there, and you get the 120k deal. Your close enough anyway; if 3.7/168 is not "good" enough for the 120k, why not at least give out 60 or 40 or ANYTHING!?! Makes no sense. Do they think you're going to take GW w/ no $$$ over GULC?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: March 13, 2007, 11:26:08 AM »
The only reason I haven't withdrawn from GW is because I want to go to the admitted students functions :-p.

I don't think I'll even send the card. I'll just ignore them and hope they get the point. No merit aid? Bite my balls.

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: March 13, 2007, 11:42:44 AM »
Honestly, I think they're going to offer more $$ later on, after they figure out how much they have left over. You might still be too angry at that point to care, but I do think it'll change.

That would make sense, but it's getting really late by now...

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #1503 on: March 13, 2007, 11:43:36 AM »
I got my lowest grade in college in a geology class, too!  Rocks for jocks my ass

I got mine in Calculus.

I actually did better in my second semester of Calc, when I wasn't taking "Calculus for retarded business majors."
VIP.

dcforlife

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: March 13, 2007, 01:31:08 PM »
The admissions rep told me that all the scholarship money is gone for this year.
Wow, really? I can't believe that's the case. They won't even know who is coming to accept their scholarship money until after April 15th, and more likely June 15th. And they've said to 2L's who didn't get 1L money but were hoping for some this year that they won't know about financial aid for them until the fall, because that's how long it will take them to finish 1L's.

Maybe she meant it's all been allocated at this point, and what isn't accepted will be re-allocated to those actually attending? There are a whole lot of people who turned down the full tuition/housing option on LSN and that translates to millions of dollars in unclaimed financial aid. That pool will only grow larger. Seems like a bizarre thing to do to not re-allocate it. But, maybe they were only willing to extend themselves that far for the really high-ranked numbers; this was the first year of this experiment after all.

does one HAVE to complete needaccess to get a financial aid package, or does complating needaccess just mean you have a chance at getting a better offer?
NA isn't required for GW, just the CSS profile.

latenitesession

• Sr. Citizen
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: March 13, 2007, 01:36:03 PM »

does one HAVE to complete needaccess to get a financial aid package, or does complating needaccess just mean you have a chance at getting a better offer?
NA isn't required for GW, just the CSS profile.
[/quote]\

And am I correct in remembering that they don't want you to fill out the CSS profile until accepted? Maybe I just made that up to give myself a reason not to have to do it...
Fordham (PT)

dcforlife

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: March 13, 2007, 01:48:24 PM »
And am I correct in remembering that they don't want you to fill out the CSS profile until accepted? Maybe I just made that up to give myself a reason not to have to do it...
Ooooh, fill it out ASAP! It needed to be in by 3/1 -- the GW Supplement is what doesn't need to be done until you've decided to go to GW.

Accepted applicants whose PROFILE data reach the Law Financial Aid Office after March 1 cannot be guaranteed a decision by April 15 (when the first admissions deposit is due), and available need-based funds may then be limited.
http://www.law.gwu.edu/Resources/Hidden+Content/Financial+Aid/Information+for+New+Students/New+J.D.+Students.htm

latenitesession

• Sr. Citizen
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: March 13, 2007, 02:12:55 PM »
Ooooh, fill it out ASAP! It needed to be in by 3/1 -- the GW Supplement is what doesn't need to be done until you've decided to go to GW.

Accepted applicants whose PROFILE data reach the Law Financial Aid Office after March 1 cannot be guaranteed a decision by April 15 (when the first admissions deposit is due), and available need-based funds may then be limited.
http://www.law.gwu.edu/Resources/Hidden+Content/Financial+Aid/Information+for+New+Students/New+J.D.+Students.htm

Thanks for the link and info.... I will reluctantly get on it.
Fordham (PT)

Imelda Marcos

• Sr. Citizen
  • If the "Choo" fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1508 on: March 13, 2007, 02:15:54 PM »
Alright this one is going out to all my regulars...latenite, villa, DrP, DCB etc.

Heres what I'm thinking give me your advice/opinions:

1.  I withdraw from everywhere, get privste tutoring, study my butt of take the LSAT in September (I'm graduating in June) and join the masses of retakers in hopefully upping my score.  Reapply next cycle, with hopefully much stronger numbers and try and get in to a upper tier 1.

2.  Go to CUA, or LMU with the (highly improbable) hope of transferring to my dream school?

What I'm worried about:

1.  My score doesn't improve, I've now wasted a year, and any hope of attending the schools I already got into is dashed because I withdrew.

2.  I can't claw my way to the top of the class, becuase law school is unpredictable and so are grades.  If I do manage to get myself in a position to transfer, I lose law review etc, and I didn't get to bond with my 1L class?

HELP!!!!!!!!

PS. Sorry for the seemingly temporary hijak but in fact this does relate to GW as it is my heart and soul and I got the big fat ol WL from them.
It's Official Loyola class of 2010!!

WL still pending, fingers crossed it would make for a much easier decision!

whateverlady5555

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: March 13, 2007, 02:36:19 PM »
Alright this one is going out to all my regulars...latenite, villa, DrP, DCB etc.

Heres what I'm thinking give me your advice/opinions:

1.  I withdraw from everywhere, get privste tutoring, study my butt of take the LSAT in September (I'm graduating in June) and join the masses of retakers in hopefully upping my score.  Reapply next cycle, with hopefully much stronger numbers and try and get in to a upper tier 1.

2.  Go to CUA, or LMU with the (highly improbable) hope of transferring to my dream school?

What I'm worried about:

1.  My score doesn't improve, I've now wasted a year, and any hope of attending the schools I already got into is dashed because I withdrew.

2.  I can't claw my way to the top of the class, becuase law school is unpredictable and so are grades.  If I do manage to get myself in a position to transfer, I lose law review etc, and I didn't get to bond with my 1L class?

HELP!!!!!!!!

PS. Sorry for the seemingly temporary hijak but in fact this does relate to GW as it is my heart and soul and I got the big fat ol WL from them.

Hmmmmmmm. This is tough!

If you are truly unhappy with your options, then work hard and retake the LSAT. Have you just taken it once? It appears that the majority of retakers get at least a couple of points on a retake. If you don't feel that you will be happy at CUA or LMU, then it might be worth it. School isn't cheap, so why throw money at a place that you won't be proud of if you do graduate there. Could you wait a year? For me, I will be 30 when I graduate if I start this Fall. I wouldn't want to put off school any longer, since I will need to start a family some time in my early 30s. My eggs will dry up!

I don't know much about transferring. I DO know that you have to make really awesome grades to do it. It does happen though.

Just think about it, and give it some time. You have some waitlists to hear from, and you never know what can happen! Trust your instincts! Before you withdraw, maybe visit the places you are in, and see if that helps you. Good luck!