Law School Discussion

The GW thread

Re: So what will GW do this week?
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2007, 02:42:29 PM »
I got the call on 12/27 and I also have not recieved anything in the mail. 

Was the number listed as restricted?

I also got the phone call- and it was NOT restricted...

Sorry I don't know -- I wasn't in the office that day and they left a voicemail

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2007, 02:48:30 PM »
I just had a meeting in Foggy Bottom and walked back past the GW campus to get on the Metro.

When passing by the GW Law Admissions Office, I couldn't help but notice the 5 large US mail bins overflowing with manilla, padded (or just thick?), letter-sized envelopes sitting on the sidewalk. The packages were clearly outgoing, having a big GW logo on the upper left and white address labels.

Caveats:
1) I didn't stop or look more closely because god knows I didn't want them to think I was snooping, plus it'd be unethical.
2) Despite the fact that these were on a public sidewalk in plain view (heck, actually in the way of people walking) I felt weird/creepy about knowing this. I could just see some admissions officer reading this and going "They watch for our mail??" It wasn't the case - totally circumstantial - but I chose to post anonymously anyway. Sorry, I know it lacks credibility.
3) There's no way I could say for certain that they're admissions decisions... with the volume of applications GW gets, they may as well have been viewbooks.

Just thought it might make people's days.

Jets

• At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2007, 03:00:18 PM »
I bet they are the follow ups to the phone calls, but you never know.
Yea, because emails probably would've gone out then already, right (if they were new)? Though maybe that's another thing new this year. Phone calls for the dream team and snail mail for the rest?

I've maintained for a while that this is what they'd do as it seems to be quite common (BU did this too, although they ended up calling a good deal of people AFTER sending them acceptance packages). I bet plenty of people who didn't get acceptance calls will receive snail mail letters at some point soon.

skip

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2007, 03:24:47 PM »
Has anyone gotten any $$? i haven't It's hard to fathom being ridiculously in debt from GW, when I am close to full-ride at a top 25

Jets

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2007, 03:44:52 PM »
Has anyone gotten any $$? i haven't It's hard to fathom being ridiculously in debt from GW, when I am close to full-ride at a top 25

Presumably they'd come with the acceptance package; did you receive this already? So far as your logic is concerned, I guess it would come down to which Top 25 school vs. where you wanted to live/practice law.

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2007, 03:49:36 PM »
Isn't GW notoriously stingy with money.  I would like money but I'm not expecting any.

Captain

• View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2007, 04:25:26 PM »
Who knows. All I know is if I don't have something by end of the month I will be distressed. They are a rolling admission school and they do promise on their website to get you a decision around 8 weeks, so...

Next week is about week 8 for me, I think. Of course, if they don't start counting until they start reviewing apps, then I guess it isn't...

God I just want a decision...

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2007, 06:03:45 PM »
It's 8 weeks from completion date, which is date of submission for them.

thats what I thought ... but if there were LORs coming (not included in your first report) do you think they would push back your complete date?

Imelda Marcos

• If the "Choo" fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2007, 06:40:14 PM »
Hey quick question...you know the chart thing on GW's webpage that shows last years applicants and then how many they took out of those that had those numbers..well I'm curious what do you think it was that helped the people that would otherwise by auto denies (like myself) to get in?  Does that make sense?  Eh, any thoughts would be welcomed, as I am religiously checking my mail box daily knowing full well that I have 7 weeks to go..(sigh)

Jets

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2007, 06:47:48 PM »
Hey quick question...you know the chart thing on GW's webpage that shows last years applicants and then how many they took out of those that had those numbers..well I'm curious what do you think it was that helped the people that would otherwise by auto denies (like myself) to get in?  Does that make sense?  Eh, any thoughts would be welcomed, as I am religiously checking my mail box daily knowing full well that I have 7 weeks to go..(sigh)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/search_schools.php?action=search&school_code=5246&lsat1=160&lsat2=160&fee_waiver=0&status=0&gpa_lsdas1=3.4&gpa_lsdas2=&attending=0&cycle=3&gpa_degree1=&gpa_degree2=&withdrawn=0&program=1&index1=&index2=&state=0&application_type=0&scholarship1=&scholarship2=&sex=0&multiple_lsat=0&urm=0&x=44&y=6&international=0

There was only one such person accepted, and that was a URM. There were a few waitlists, though.

PT was a different story, although the stats aren't so revealing due to the fact that the sample is so small:

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/search_schools.php?action=search&school_code=5246&lsat1=160&lsat2=160&fee_waiver=0&status=0&gpa_lsdas1=3.4&gpa_lsdas2=&attending=0&cycle=3&gpa_degree1=&gpa_degree2=&withdrawn=0&program=2&index1=&index2=&state=0&application_type=0&scholarship1=&scholarship2=&sex=0&multiple_lsat=0&urm=0&x=19&y=5&international=0

You're certainly not an "auto-deny" for PT; that's for sure.