Law School Discussion

The GW thread

Re: The GW thread
« Reply #1540 on: March 14, 2007, 10:30:02 AM »
I think the strategy GW is using will ultimately harm the school in the sense that not giving the big $$$ (ir anything) to many people with solid #'s who are in at T14's, but instead giving it to overqualified candidates who will inevitably turn it down.

Maybe I'm wrong, who knows.

I agree -- I think GW aimed fractionally too high with its money offers.  I think it should be people with 167 getting a 3/4 to full ride and the 165-166 crowd getting a 1/3 to 1/2 ride.  Given the new LSAT policy I see 168 and 169 LSATs as a sort of grey area.  Money might lure them but they probably will be getting into T-14s and possibly getting some money there.

Giving a lot of money to people with 170+ scores doesn't make sense.  Maybe giving money to specific people with ties to the region but other than that I bet they don't get many bites on the offer

latenitesession

• My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: March 14, 2007, 10:30:37 AM »
I think the strategy GW is using will ultimately harm the school in the sense that not giving the big $$$ (ir anything) to many people with solid #'s who are in at T14's, but instead giving it to overqualified candidates who will inevitably turn it down.

I think if they score 10% of those overqualified candidates, it would be a small victory for them. I agree though, that financially slighting those who really want to go to GW could bite them in the ass.

I guess we'll all have to wait and see and reconvene at the 1,675 page GW thread in 5-10 years.

• View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: March 14, 2007, 10:30:51 AM »
Does anyone else think that GW might fall a few spots when the rankings come out in a few weeks?  Maybe their abnormal and huge scholarship offers are the result of low numbers from the Fall 2006 incoming class, which are what determine this year's rankings.

The opposite. I think they're making a power play, using their rankings momentum from the past few years and giving a big final push to get their numbers into T14 territory.

While I agree that GW is making an effort to move into a more attractive position, and that emphasizing higher LSAT scores may help them do that, I don't sense that they have the ability (over the short term, at least) to move "into T14 territory." This has been discussed elsewhere (no time to search for the thread now), but a consensus seemed to develop that with a little effort GW could break its tie for 19th and or even lay claim to 18th on its own by surpassing USC. Vanderbilt, UCLA, and Texas, however, seem to have their positions well entrenched and I don't think there's much of an opportunity for GW to pass them -- at least as long as the rankings are calculated by USNWR the way they are right now.  One of LeiTTTer's suggested rankings models (emphasizing the # of firms that do OCI) would give GW a big boost, though, as only a small handful of schools have more firms come for interviews (in part due to GW's massive student body size).

I said "to get their NUMBERS into T14 territory". Read better. They can conceivably push their medians up to a point comparable with Cornell and Northwestern and such. That doesn't mean they'd move into the T14 rankings-wise, but it would give them a good shot at closing in on UT.

As far as your (only tangentially related) capture-the-flag analysis does, I doubt that Vanderbilt is as well entrenched as UT or UCLA. GW has a very realistic shot at surpassing them.

« Reply #1543 on: March 14, 2007, 10:32:34 AM »

I agree -- I think GW aimed fractionally too high with its money offers.  I think it should be people with 167 getting a 3/4 to full ride and the 165-166 crowd getting a 1/3 to 1/2 ride.  Given the new LSAT policy I see 168 and 169 LSATs as a sort of grey area.  Money might lure them but they probably will be getting into T-14s and possibly getting some money there.

Giving a lot of money to people with 170+ scores doesn't make sense.  Maybe giving money to specific people with ties to the region but other than that I bet they don't get many bites on the offer

This member of the 165 crowd would be overjoyed just to get *in* at this point!  :D  Sent them a transcript update, an update on some awards I've been nominated for this semester, and a nice letter of continued interest. We shall see...

« Reply #1544 on: March 14, 2007, 10:34:27 AM »
Humor from the admitted students forum:

Q: Iím interested in knowing how students in the Part-time Evening Program with full-time jobs find/handle the workload. Is there any time left for sleep?
A: I honestly have no idea how people manage both a full-time job and part-time law school. I personally do not know any of these people, but they do exist and somehow get by.

Oh boy. This should be interesting...

-dcforlife, looking forward go somehow getting by...  :D

• View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: March 14, 2007, 10:39:46 AM »
Does anyone else think that GW might fall a few spots when the rankings come out in a few weeks?  Maybe their abnormal and huge scholarship offers are the result of low numbers from the Fall 2006 incoming class, which are what determine this year's rankings.

The opposite. I think they're making a power play, using their rankings momentum from the past few years and giving a big final push to get their numbers into T14 territory.

While I agree that GW is making an effort to move into a more attractive position, and that emphasizing higher LSAT scores may help them do that, I don't sense that they have the ability (over the short term, at least) to move "into T14 territory." This has been discussed elsewhere (no time to search for the thread now), but a consensus seemed to develop that with a little effort GW could break its tie for 19th and or even lay claim to 18th on its own by surpassing USC. Vanderbilt, UCLA, and Texas, however, seem to have their positions well entrenched and I don't think there's much of an opportunity for GW to pass them -- at least as long as the rankings are calculated by USNWR the way they are right now.  One of LeiTTTer's suggested rankings models (emphasizing the # of firms that do OCI) would give GW a big boost, though, as only a small handful of schools have more firms come for interviews (in part due to GW's massive student body size).

GW's full-time student-body isn't particularly massive. UT's is slightly larger. Georgetown is massive.

latenitesession

• My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: March 14, 2007, 10:39:52 AM »
Humor from the admitted students forum:

Q: Iím interested in knowing how students in the Part-time Evening Program with full-time jobs find/handle the workload. Is there any time left for sleep?
A: I honestly have no idea how people manage both a full-time job and part-time law school. I personally do not know any of these people, but they do exist and somehow get by.

Oh boy. This should be interesting...

-dcforlife, looking forward go somehow getting by...  :D

Ha- that doesn't discourage me in the least. I've met and spoke to many lawyers who've done it and students currently doing it (not necessarily at GW). All say it is tough, but can clearly be done. I think there is more of a PT culture, and that the profs, other students, employers (esp. law firms) are more understanding and helpful.

« Reply #1547 on: March 14, 2007, 10:51:00 AM »
Ha- that doesn't discourage me in the least. I've met and spoke to many lawyers who've done it and students currently doing it (not necessarily at GW). All say it is tough, but can clearly be done. I think there is more of a PT culture, and that the profs, other students, employers (esp. law firms) are more understanding and helpful.
I hope you're/they're right -- I am excited beyond belief but admittedly a little scared too, heh. I am in the process of moving my office so I'll be just a stone's throw from the law school, and the office is bigger than my old one. "What will I do with the new space?", I asked myself... maybe this IKEA combo chair/bed ;p

Imelda Marcos

• If the "Choo" fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1548 on: March 14, 2007, 12:41:53 PM »
Lol dcforlife, that would be perfect, you can get in your pj's and G-Dub slippers, climb into bed, chat with us on LSD, and when it's time for class, just roll out and walk to school.  Oh to be you guys that are not in WL hell. Ahhhhhhhh

Captain

• View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #1549 on: March 14, 2007, 01:38:13 PM »
I hope you're/they're right -- I am excited beyond belief but admittedly a little scared too, heh. I am in the process of moving my office so I'll be just a stone's throw from the law school, and the office is bigger than my old one. "What will I do with the new space?", I asked myself... maybe this IKEA combo chair/bed ;p

I have that chair-bed. VERY comfortable. :-D