Law School Discussion

The GW thread

Jets

• At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
Re: The GW thread
« Reply #1520 on: March 13, 2007, 01:05:21 PM »
Thanks latenite, I knew I could count on my reggies for support!  ;)

Why is it that you wouldn't be happy? What makes you feel this way? If you answer this for me, I'll be better equipped to take my shot at answering your question.

Imelda Marcos

• If the "Choo" fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1521 on: March 13, 2007, 01:52:34 PM »

Why is it that you wouldn't be happy? What makes you feel this way? If you answer this for me, I'll be better equipped to take my shot at answering your question.

Sorry I'm at work now so moving a bit slower.  Well, I guess lots of things are making me anxious.  I have always been an overachiever (which I understand is not a reason for sympathy or to hate on the schools I have been accepted into), but still making me crazy nonetheles.  I can't for the life of me figure out why I can't conquer this flippen test. 

Also, I worry about prestige of school and job placement.  Let's face it the concensus seems to be that employers care about where you go to law school, and I too worry about the tremendous amount of debt I am about to take on, and how my future job will be impacted by the degree I receive.

I love love love DC and really want to go there for LS, but the fact of the matter is that CUA is the bottom of the barrel there, and I'm not sure if I can reason going to a lower ranked school in DC as opposed to a higher ranked in CA (as far as the LA/OC area).  Also out of the two choices I am currently deciding between, Loyola was seriously unimpressive for me when I went.  There is really nothing wrong with it, but it's like living in a compound in the middle of the lower downtown LA, the Staple Center is two miles away.  I guess I wonder if I could see myself studying there everyday for three years (I'm leaning towards a big fat huge no).  As for CUA I haven't had a chance to visit there yet. 

This is getting really long, but to sum up I guess I could say..
 I left my heart in DC, and really want to go back, but only 30% that I can sacrifice the prestige to do so, and I'd like to go to a top tier 1 like everyone else, and I'm just wondering if one more shot is worth it, or if I should just face the music.  I know no one can say for sure, but opinions about what people would/might do in my situtaion might help ease the constant worry I'm feeling.

At this point I can't hang my hat on a WL

« Reply #1522 on: March 13, 2007, 03:30:39 PM »
Can I ask about GW financial aid for a minute?!

Is anyone else confused? I am a MORON when it comes to taxes, seriously. I did my FAFSA, but I am just now doing PROFILE. Am I screwed?

Also, my marital status is changing between now and when I enroll (if I enroll). I am so confused on how to handle it. I emailed them. I am just daunted by the task of compiling my info, my parents info, and my future spouse's info.

Bleh. I don't know what a 1040 is. I am screwed. Maybe this is a sign that I have no business taking out GW size loans.

« Reply #1523 on: March 13, 2007, 04:12:33 PM »
I feel your financial aid pain. I just now sent the stupid Profile, and I am so behind on everything!  I'm trying to go to the ASW, but my mom is really sick, so now I don't even know if I should leave her.  Even if it's only for three days... :(

« Reply #1524 on: March 13, 2007, 04:28:36 PM »
I feel your financial aid pain. I just now sent the stupid Profile, and I am so behind on everything!  I'm trying to go to the ASW, but my mom is really sick, so now I don't even know if I should leave her.  Even if it's only for three days... :(

Oh! I am sorry about your mom. I hope she gets well soon! Best of luck!

Jets

• At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: March 13, 2007, 04:37:49 PM »

Sorry I'm at work now so moving a bit slower.  Well, I guess lots of things are making me anxious.  I have always been an overachiever (which I understand is not a reason for sympathy or to hate on the schools I have been accepted into), but still making me crazy nonetheles.  I can't for the life of me figure out why I can't conquer this flippen test. 

Also, I worry about prestige of school and job placement.  Let's face it the concensus seems to be that employers care about where you go to law school, and I too worry about the tremendous amount of debt I am about to take on, and how my future job will be impacted by the degree I receive.

I love love love DC and really want to go there for LS, but the fact of the matter is that CUA is the bottom of the barrel there, and I'm not sure if I can reason going to a lower ranked school in DC as opposed to a higher ranked in CA (as far as the LA/OC area).  Also out of the two choices I am currently deciding between, Loyola was seriously unimpressive for me when I went.  There is really nothing wrong with it, but it's like living in a compound in the middle of the lower downtown LA, the Staple Center is two miles away.  I guess I wonder if I could see myself studying there everyday for three years (I'm leaning towards a big fat huge no).  As for CUA I haven't had a chance to visit there yet. 

This is getting really long, but to sum up I guess I could say..
 I left my heart in DC, and really want to go back, but only 30% that I can sacrifice the prestige to do so, and I'd like to go to a top tier 1 like everyone else, and I'm just wondering if one more shot is worth it, or if I should just face the music.  I know no one can say for sure, but opinions about what people would/might do in my situtaion might help ease the constant worry I'm feeling.

At this point I can't hang my hat on a WL

I think hanging around here just makes you miserable if you're not in at a T10 school (and if you are, I suppose, you're upset that you're not in at HYS...lol). Bottom line: it's a big case of "the grass is always greener." I don't believe your job prospects are really all that grim going to one of those schools. Are there "better" schools out there? Yes. Does that mean you're screwed? No.

I was talking to a family member who graduated from a T5 law school a few years ago, and he implied -- in no uncertain terms -- that while where you go matters, WHO YOU ARE matters more. I tend to believe him. If you're talented, motivated, hardworking, etc. you will not have a problem regardless of where you go. To preempt the "but law school is unpredictable, and you can somehow fall in the bottom half of your class" comment, I'd like to make it clear that I'm in no way suggesting possessing those qualities ensures success in law school. Rather, I'm implying that having those qualities will ensure long-term success. Hard work does breed success, and if you have to start off at a lower-level firm, so be it...you'll still be a lawyer, and you'll ultimately get where you want to get (assuming that the lower-level firm isn't quite "it" for you).

What irks me a lot is seeing people talking about how they want to go to a higher ranked school because they don't want to have to work too hard in LS/feel pressure. It's such a ridiculous comment, really, because if you have any ambition/motivation/work ethic at all you WILL work hard and you WILL feel pressure regardless. Knowing I'll get a job in the bottom of my class would not be good enough for me to let myself cruise...I ALWAYS want to be the best I can and I will never stop working my hardest. I was taught to be proud of anything I sign my name to, and I could never accept doing any worse than my absolute best. Having said that...

-Jets

« Reply #1526 on: March 13, 2007, 04:42:31 PM »
drpep: I think it says somewhere on FAFSA and Profile to answer as of the date you will enroll or as of a certain date- like 8/1/2007. I got the impression you have to give all of your future spouse's info too (or only yours if you're getting divorced, but their stuff for questions about last years taxes if that was involved). Just get it in ASAP. Of course, when you spend 50 hours of your life filling out their redundant forms and then get nothing in return except the vague impression that they didn't actually look at the forms you filled out because if they did, they would have to know that they have vastly overestimated your resources. Sooo the answer is yea, I'm still bitter and have lost most of my excitement about GW. I don't even want to go to preview weekend anymore.

ImeldaM: Your situation is definitely tough and makes me feel like a whiny little b*tch for being depressed over mine. First, do everything possible to get off that waitlist- update everything you can and send them a LOCI. Assuming you're doing that though, I understand not wanting to count on a waitlist. First thing, visit CUA and see for yourself how you like it. While you're in DC, swing by GW and visit the admissions office (prob try to make an appt to discuss your application) in person. You have nothing to lose and I imagine you won't be happy with yourself no matter what happens if you don't do your best to get off that WL. A WL isn't a rejection and GW has implied (I read on here) that they might pull a lot from their WL this year. As far as taking a year to reapply- you can always defer at CUA or LMU so you would still have those options. If you would be really unhappy waiting a year, then go and make the best of it- I can't really say what you should do, you're going to have to really think about what you want out of law school, why you're going, and how those things will be affected by your various options. I'm sorry I can't offer anything particularly new or insightful, but I am rooting for you.

Imelda Marcos

• If the "Choo" fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1527 on: March 13, 2007, 04:43:55 PM »
Thanks Jets.  I know I try and tell myself this all the time too, I'm just waiting for it to kick in.  Guess I really have a hard decision in front of me.

Annie

« Reply #1528 on: March 13, 2007, 04:44:25 PM »
GREAT post, Jets. Really. I know my perspective has definitely gotten out of whack throughout this crazy process, and it's nice to see some really sound advice. :)

marlinspike

• Why yes, I am the one who took my avatar photo.
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
« Reply #1529 on: March 13, 2007, 04:49:51 PM »
I was talking to a family member who graduated from a T5 law school a few years ago, and he implied -- in no uncertain terms -- that while where you go matters, WHO YOU ARE matters more. I tend to believe him. If you're talented, motivated, hardworking, etc. you will not have a problem regardless of where you go. To preempt the "but law school is unpredictable, and you can somehow fall in the bottom half of your class" comment, I'd like to make it clear that I'm in no way suggesting possessing those qualities ensures success in law school. Rather, I'm implying that having those qualities will ensure long-term success. Hard work does breed success, and if you have to start off at a lower-level firm, so be it...you'll still be a lawyer, and you'll ultimately get where you want to get (assuming that the lower-level firm isn't quite "it" for you).
-Jets

I have a cousin who used to do interview for a BigLaw firm. He said obviously the better school you go to the better your prospects, but no matter where you go (well, I suppose he meant as long as it's somewhere ok) if you really just go crazy and get insanely good grades during your first year you will have good prospects.