Law School Discussion

The GW thread

Commie Panda

• Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
Re: The GW thread
« Reply #1490 on: March 13, 2007, 06:46:32 AM »

My parents aren't super rich, but my dad will be able to pay for me. At the same time, I should probably add that if I go to GW I will be living at home.

I thought you lived somewhere other than DC? Whatever you do, don't live at home. Honestly.

Why not?  If I ended up in my hometown I definitely would.  Not doing so would cost me a minimum of about 1000/month, which would add up to almost $40K in extra debt when I graduate.  May not be optimal, but I'd suck it up for 3 years to save 40K

Without being crude, I have to ask -- are you an UG student, katluva? Having lived/worked on my own for ~5 years I simply cannot comprehend living at home on a permanent basis, and I don't think it would be good for any aspect of a law student's life other than finances. It isn't that finances don't matter, it is that living at home for 3 years in or around the peak of your post-collegiate life seems like a horribly life-stunting thing to do -- so much so that taking on an additional $40k in debt would still be the lesser evil.

EDIT: Marlinspike, yeah you covered it before. The only part I remembered was that you don't live in DC now. Sorry, I got confused above when you mentioned living at "home." I guess it makes sense given what you say about covering costs and family, but man I sure wouldn't do it all 3 years. Maybe 1L since it isn't like you're going to be going out a ton then anyhow.

I think "life-stunting" is quite a dramatic way of putting the effects of living at home. I've been "independent" for all of undergrad, and for the past year, and I have to say, "independence" is over-rated. If it's going to save you a lot of money and hassle, and your family is in the area, I don't see why you'd go out of your way to live independently. To each his/her own I guess.

For me, though, the perks of living with family (free food, lodging, etc) outweigh everything else. Plus, I doubt my parents would be getting in the way of my social/intellectual development anyway. Not like I'm going to be any worse of a lawyer because I lived with my parents during LS  :P

« Reply #1491 on: March 13, 2007, 07:07:10 AM »
Hmm.  I wonder where my financial aid letter is?  My stuff has been in since late January.  I did get a partial scholarship but that still leaves me with $40,000 a year to cover.  I was eligible for the max stafford loans at other schools so is it wrong to assume GW would give me the same?

marlinspike

• Why yes, I am the one who took my avatar photo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: March 13, 2007, 07:12:05 AM »
Marlinspike obviously has a very different perspective, having lived independently for 5 years.  I would say the opposite though, in that $40,000 in loans is so not worth not living with mom and dad.  Try it for the first year, you can always move out.

I think you mean DCB has a different perspective (I'm wrapping up my fourth year of undergrad).

latenitesession

• My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: March 13, 2007, 07:15:20 AM »
does one HAVE to complete needaccess to get a financial aid package, or does complating needaccess just mean you have a chance at getting a better offer?

beeker

• View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: March 13, 2007, 07:21:30 AM »
Marlinspike obviously has a very different perspective, having lived independently for 5 years.  I would say the opposite though, in that $40,000 in loans is so not worth not living with mom and dad.  Try it for the first year, you can always move out.

I think you mean DCB has a different perspective (I'm wrapping up my fourth year of undergrad).

Oops, sorry about that!

• View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: March 13, 2007, 07:22:32 AM »
Am I an idiot if I am thinking about taking W&M over GW (I'm on the MI waitlist, which I figure means I won't get in, and considering that I just got a decision notice from UVA and still haven't heard from Duke I'm guessing I'm not getting into either of those)? I'll be going for a JD/MBA. May want to work in DC, or Richmond, or Charlotte, not sure yet, though I definitley want to work in an East coast state no further North than Maryland and no futher South than NC.

GW's MBA program is atrocious, jsyk.

Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: March 13, 2007, 07:50:42 AM »
Am I an idiot if I am thinking about taking W&M over GW (I'm on the MI waitlist, which I figure means I won't get in, and considering that I just got a decision notice from UVA and still haven't heard from Duke I'm guessing I'm not getting into either of those)? I'll be going for a JD/MBA. May want to work in DC, or Richmond, or Charlotte, not sure yet, though I definitley want to work in an East coast state no further North than Maryland and no futher South than NC.

All MBAs are atrocious.

MBA and BA/BS in Business are the same damned thing. Unless you're adding a new alumni network (Harvard/Wharton/etc), you really don't gain much in the knowledge department. I know a couple Business undergrads who went on to an MBA program (one is a friend, the another is my GF's dad), and both said that they did all of the same material as when they were UGs.

I actually think that the undergraduate business degree should be done away with... but this isn't the thread to start that debate in.

marlinspike

• Why yes, I am the one who took my avatar photo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: March 13, 2007, 07:53:36 AM »

I figured it might be, kinda like most of the school. At least William and Mary's made it onto The Economist's rankings (granted, it was ranked 93rd, but GW didn't even make the list, and to be fair to W&M that 93rd is in the world, not the country, it was ranked 48th in the Americas by The Economist).

zephyr

• View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: March 13, 2007, 08:12:47 AM »
They have a seeming cutoff for merit based aid, and it's slightly odd because they'll give a TON of money to people who meet that cutoff but nothing to people who don't. It's like an all or nothing deal, and it's kinda silly IMO. FWIW, I think their cutoff is 167/~3.8 for 20k and 168/3.8+ for the full ride.

Not to sound bratty, but I think I got screwed. It seems like I missed it b/c I have a 3.7. Sorry about my B-minus in environmental geology freshman year. Yargh I'm bitter.

beeker

• View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: March 13, 2007, 08:17:36 AM »
They have a seeming cutoff for merit based aid, and it's slightly odd because they'll give a TON of money to people who meet that cutoff but nothing to people who don't. It's like an all or nothing deal, and it's kinda silly IMO. FWIW, I think their cutoff is 167/~3.8 for 20k and 168/3.8+ for the full ride.

Not to sound bratty, but I think I got screwed. It seems like I missed it b/c I have a 3.7. Sorry about my B-minus in environmental geology freshman year. Yargh I'm bitter.

I got my lowest grade in college in a geology class, too!  Rocks for jocks my ass