Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Suggested reading prior to law school?  (Read 2937 times)

Goodlaw

• View Profile
Re: Suggested reading prior to law school?
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 10:33:19 PM »
The book Law School 101 was the best!

Prove it. Tell us what's so great about it, compared to other books on the market that you've read. And try to do it in an objective manner.

First off, I don't have to prove anything to you.  It's a good book.  However, I will take a minute to tell you briefly why I think it's better than the others I checked out.  Slaying the Law School Dragon was one of those books that offered advice like - go down to the local courthouse and read legal briefs before you start law school. Anyone who has been to law school would know why that's a huge waste of time.  Planet Law School basically recommended so many books to read before attending that it was absurd to even think it was possible. Another book, Going to Law School, had comments in it that were a turn-off...like lawyers are two-faced because they have to argue both sides of an issue and lawyers are only good at finding loopholes. I'm not quoting exactly, so don't quote me either.  It's been a while since I wasted my time reading through any of them.  Law School 101 was refreshing in that it fit.  It talked about the importance of making the right decision about attending law school in the first place and it helped with that decision.  It talked about each year and the issues were realistic and hit home with the stress and isolation you can feel.  It talked about relationships and family issues and tough professors and gave advice about handling all different situations.  There were also stories in there taken from other law students.  Another thing I liked was that it wasn't sugar-coated and it talked about how stressful being an attorney can be.  I liked the honesty and it was helpful to me and my buddies, especially when we were thinking we couldn't make it through first year.  It tells you what to expect for real.  So, sue me if you don't like my posts.  It really doesn't matter to me.  I've taken enough time with this, so I'll move on.  I have a feeling this is leading into a huge debate which I didn't come on here for.  I'm working on a paper and thought I'd find a little help on a site like this.  Guess not!  Have a nice night!

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 10:36:26 PM »
The book Law School 101 was the best!

Prove it. Tell us what's so great about it, compared to other books on the market that you've read. And try to do it in an objective manner.

First off, I don't have to prove anything to you.  It's a good book.  However, I will take a minute to tell you briefly why I think it's better than the others I checked out.  Slaying the Law School Dragon was one of those books that offered advice like - go down to the local courthouse and read legal briefs before you start law school. Anyone who has been to law school would know why that's a huge waste of time.  Planet Law School basically recommended so many books to read before attending that it was absurd to even think it was possible. Another book, Going to Law School, had comments in it that were a turn-off...like lawyers are two-faced because they have to argue both sides of an issue and lawyers are only good at finding loopholes. I'm not quoting exactly, so don't quote me either.  It's been a while since I wasted my time reading through any of them.  Law School 101 was refreshing in that it fit.  It talked about the importance of making the right decision about attending law school in the first place and it helped with that decision.  It talked about each year and the issues were realistic and hit home with the stress and isolation you can feel.  It talked about relationships and family issues and tough professors and gave advice about handling all different situations.  There were also stories in there taken from other law students.  Another thing I liked was that it wasn't sugar-coated and it talked about how stressful being an attorney can be.  I liked the honesty and it was helpful to me and my buddies, especially when we were thinking we couldn't make it through first year.  It tells you what to expect for real.  So, sue me if you don't like my posts.  It really doesn't matter to me.  I've taken enough time with this, so I'll move on.  I have a feeling this is leading into a huge debate which I didn't come on here for.  I'm working on a paper and thought I'd find a little help on a site like this.  Guess not!  Have a nice night!

No debate at all. This is much more helpful. Thanks. Seriously.
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

sram

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 06:38:57 PM »
I've been having fun planning out some pre-law school reading.  My dad is an attorney, and I was asking for advice, so he pulls this dusty binder out of the basement that is literally from his law school experience (30+ years ago).  It's an unpublished case law textbook from 1958.  YES.  Bedtime reading, for sure. Thanks Dad!

On a more serious note, I read OneL recently, and it was scary but also made me feel pretty excited about what to come.  Evidently Turow is a bit of a prick though, he spoke at Boalt commencement a couple years ago and got booed.

I also just ordered some books from Amazon on the Supreme Court, just to brush up on general understanding of the different justices and leanings of the court, so I don't seem like a total idiot when I'm surrounded by people a lot smarter then I am next year. 

Let me know if you find anything good!  I'm trying to spend the time agonizing over law school more productively then...ummm...reading LSD.
Duke 2010!

east_meets_west

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 07:32:28 PM »
I've been having fun planning out some pre-law school reading.  My dad is an attorney, and I was asking for advice, so he pulls this dusty binder out of the basement that is literally from his law school experience (30+ years ago).  It's an unpublished case law textbook from 1958.  YES.  Bedtime reading, for sure. Thanks Dad!

On a more serious note, I read OneL recently, and it was scary but also made me feel pretty excited about what to come.  Evidently Turow is a bit of a prick though, he spoke at Boalt commencement a couple years ago and got booed.

I also just ordered some books from Amazon on the Supreme Court, just to brush up on general understanding of the different justices and leanings of the court, so I don't seem like a total idiot when I'm surrounded by people a lot smarter then I am next year. 

Let me know if you find anything good!  I'm trying to spend the time agonizing over law school more productively then...ummm...reading LSD.

Where did you hear about Turow getting booed at Boalt? Do you know what for?
Northwestern 2010!

sram

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 08:35:43 PM »
He spoke at my brother-in-law's commencement.  Evidently he was pompous, spoke about himself throughout the entire address, and generally came off like a big head ben.
Duke 2010!

ithappensforareason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 04:16:16 PM »
Ive been reading law school confidential. Im half way through it and I have enjoyed it.

sram

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 04:24:34 PM »
I liked the book a lot too.  I was surprised when I found out that some people don't like him very much...
Duke 2010!

Bridge83

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 11:12:40 AM »
I've been out of school for two years, and I was a non-trad major for law.

I've been reading biographies of supreme court justices, some books about the Constitution, Courtroom 302, etc.

I don't know if what you read is as important as reading SOMETHING.  Personally, it is taking me a little while to get back into the grind of reading so many pages a night, focusing on comprehension....

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 03:13:38 PM »
I'm reading Law 101 right now. Covers major concepts of all the 1L required courses in layman's terms. Very good book.
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

zephyr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 03:43:06 PM »
I just finished "Becoming Justice Blackmun." Interesting read. I also read Bob Woodward's "The Brethren" last year. It was a pretty cool inside look at the SCOTUS under Burger.
Jim McAllister: Larry, we're not electing the f-ing Pope here. Just tell me who won. -Election