Law School Discussion

Anyone applying for joint degree program(s)?

!@#$%

• View Profile
Anyone applying for joint degree program(s)?
« on: September 05, 2004, 09:03:31 AM »
Just curious.

absy

• View Profile
Re: Anyone applying for joint degree program(s)?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004, 10:50:41 AM »
I talked with my prelaw advisor, and he said that unless you have a specific thing you want to do with it, it may hurt more than it helps.  Firms sometimes feel it shows a lack of focus (he said this information comes from the NALP), plus you've lost at least one extra year of potential earnings.

dgatl

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004, 11:08:32 AM »
Firms sometimes feel it shows a lack of focus (he said this information comes from the NALP)

really?  i wonder if this is across the board or if it will be different for patent law because i'm still pondering adding a MS in biomedical engineering

absy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2004, 12:16:50 PM »
Something like patent law (where firms like to see knowledge in the sciences) would probably be different.  My advice would be to talk to a patent law firm about it.

mukhia

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2004, 12:37:41 PM »
I was considering a JD/MBA, but pretty much everyone on this board discouraged me from pursuing this for reasons that abs stated.

BAFF213

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2004, 03:15:59 PM »
I was considering a JD/MBA, but pretty much everyone on this board discouraged me from pursuing this for reasons that abs stated.

yea me too - except i am still considering it (they did successfully discourage me somewhat, however).

!@#$%

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2004, 05:03:59 PM »
Duke has a very interesting JD/MA in Cultural Anthropology program, for which I am considering applying.  You start the summer before  (i.e. June as opposed to August) and then graduate at the same time you would have if you had done JD only.  I want to do international and immigration law, so the MA would be very much related.  Also, about the only A's I have on my UG transcript are all in Anthropology and Languages.  Perhaps it would help my chances of being admitted???