Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UCLA, Vandy, BC, GW  (Read 1268 times)

Speedracer

• View Profile
UCLA, Vandy, BC, GW
« on: February 27, 2004, 07:57:45 PM »
SO i need to decide where I wanna go
so far i have gotten into UCLA, VAndy, BC, GW

Any thoughts?

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
Re: UCLA, Vandy, BC, GW
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 02:55:36 AM »
Off the cuff, I say UCLA (that's just me though).
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

joegibbsiii

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2004, 02:57:44 PM »
UCLA's the best school of the bunch, but if you are an east-coast guy/gal, I say go for Vandy.  I've heard nothing but good things.

Pub. Interest gal

• 3.8gpa / 162 LSAT
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 03:02:00 PM »
You are so lucky to have so many options!  But, that means you have a hard decision to make in that the choices are all so different.  But, as someone who has applied to some of the same schools and has some experience, (I grew up in California, went to undergrad in the South, and now live in DC) I thought I offer up my two cents, for what it is worth.

The schools are all ranked closely enough that the school itself and location should matter significantly. First, the school.  Think about what size of a law school do you want.  Do you want a class of 300 where it is unlikely you will know many of your classmates, or are you looking for a closer knit group of people.  Do you have an area of law that you are specifically interested in?  Check out the course offerings listings to see how many classes they offer in areas that appeal to you.  UCLA has a great public interest program, GW has a geat international law program. Check out the journals and student activities.  Some of the attorneys in my office now complain that they wish they had investigated those things when looking into law school, because while the 1st year is tough, your 2nd and 3rd year allow you to be very involved and you want to make sure the school offers opportunities that fit with your interests. 

Secondly, and almost as importantly- location. Not only where you want to be after law school, but where you want to be during law school. UCLA is in a fabulous part of California.  But, if you are from the South or East, California might be a little far from your family and friends, in that the time difference and flight time make keeping relationships difficult.  And you have to think about how you will like it never dropping below 60 degrees.  There is also the traffic, smog, etc to consider.  Then again... there is the beach and mountains and LA- full of working opportunities and social avenues of all types.
Vandy is a southern school.  If you aren't from the South, you may have a hard time adapting.  There are ingrained social customs and a desire to stick close to home that you might find foreign.  The south is wonderful though, and full of incredible people.
GW is great in that it is located in downtown DC, but in an incredibly nice section of town.  DC is full of young professionals and students alike, and there are tons of places to live and work in the city and surrounding areas.  One huge advantage- tons of people try to get jobs in DC in the summertime, and by going to school there you can work in the city during the school year your 2nd and 3rd year when it is much less competative, get the experience, and then travel somewhere else in the summer to build connections elsewhere.  Downside- all your other schools still have somewhat of a collegiate feel.  GW does not.  There aren't football games, or a wide open campus to enjoy.  And this city talks politics, A LOT.  So if you aren't into that (or sports in general) you might not love DC.
The only one I know nothing about is Boston- sorry.

Hope this helps some.  And for those of us waiting to hear from some of those schools, as soon as you make your decision-let the others know so that they can offer you spot to someone who might take it.  Don't wait until Apr. 15th if you know.  Save somebody else from having to pay two or three deposits! :)

TrueBeliever

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 03:30:56 PM »
GW would be my pick.  Great East Coast rep from what I gather. Well regard even on the West Coast from what I hear. Top notch intl law and IP program.  You can switch to parttime night program if you need to work or find yourself an job offer in DC you can't refuse.  Why didn't I apply for GW.  Shucks!

One disadvantage I know is that they are way expensive.  Full time program is over $30k per year -- ouch!!

2nd choice, UCLA -- the great modern day bureaucracy. 

TrueBeliever

• View Profile
    • Email
Pick Vandy, baby!!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2004, 03:58:39 PM »
Binoy,

Pick Vanderbilt -- take the money.  UCLA is a nice school, okay.  My alma mater.  But trust me, unless your parents are loaded or if you have a suger mommy, you will be surprised to find how expensive it is to live in or near Westwood -- in other words, you will live at near poverty levels since you can't really work while going to law school there.  Financial Aid will not cover living expenses unless you take out private loans that don't count towards your financial aid figures. 

Parking absolutely sucks.  A really big school is not always the best environment to be in for learning.  The place is huge!!  It is the most populous campus in the World if I am not mistaken.  And if you think its a fun school, WRONG!!  The place is full of highly competitive, albeit rather brilliant, nerds!  Not being negative.  I love UCLA, will always be my true alma mater.  I will contribute big time to its endowment funds should I hit the big time one day.  But I need to provide inside info for people making perhaps their biggest life decision. 

hookem law

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 12:09:05 AM »
The 3 most populous campuses in the US are, in order:  Texas, Ohio St, and Texas a+m.  I think the most populous campus in the world is in Mexico City, but I am not certain.

TrueBeliever

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2004, 12:51:13 AM »
Hey Binoy.

Well then, UCLA it is.  Well, by the time you get here, I will be either in the Bay Area, Silicon Valley, or good ole San Diego.  I have had my fill of L.A.for now.  I wish you the best of luck here in L.A. and UCLA.  I think you will enjoy it.  A word of advice: buy yourself a moped or a motorcycle -- trust me on this one. 

jgruber

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004, 11:37:00 AM »
For cultural diversity, I would have to say that Nashville cannot compete with LA, DC or Boston.