Law School Discussion

"great LOR"

Re: "great LOR"
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2007, 02:38:59 PM »
Professor Y: Unlike other asian students, Ms. B displays an uncanny penchant for creativity.

I saw quite a few comments like these in Asian students' reference letters when I was on the adcomm for my department as student observer. I didn't realize how widespread and common this racial stereotype was, or how damaging it could be to these peoples' academic careers. Not to mention how false it must be, since a great many of these reference letters stated that Mr/Ms XXXX was very creative, unlike his/her other Asian peers.

« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2007, 02:48:15 PM »
Professor Y: Unlike other asian students, Ms. B displays an uncanny penchant for creativity.

I saw quite a few comments like these in Asian students' reference letters when I was on the adcomm for my department as student observer. I didn't realize how widespread and common this racial stereotype was, or how damaging it could be to these peoples' academic careers. Not to mention how false it must be, since a great many of these reference letters stated that Mr/Ms XXXX was very creative, unlike his/her other Asian peers.

Agreed. You'd think that years of working with students of asian descent (the particular letter was written by a Berkeley professor, a University that is actually considered a minority majority school because of the umbrella-like nature of the term "asian") would dispel such concepts, but a that's the way it goes.

Do you feel your experience helped you craft a better application for law schools? I certainly had my fill of dry, run-o-the-mill essays and was very careful about avoiding the "genius" trap (i.e. "I've always loved the law and I've been actively engaged in it, like, forever! Ever since I was a little kid I was argumentative, and my daddy is a lawyer, and my mommy is a lawyer and...")

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2007, 02:52:45 PM »

I don't get this stereotype. I know plenty of creative Asian student. Now, if we were to single it down to Indian students...  ;D