Law School Discussion

"great LOR"

ButImAGilmore

• Fight On!
    • View Profile
Re: "great LOR"
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2006, 09:54:48 PM »
Brito! You really are using LSD as a personal dating service! Maybe one day I can make it work for me...

But you're a Gilmore! You don't need a personal dating service. You just to walk up to a guy and talk really fast so he gets confused and doesn't know what's happening and the next thing you know it you're married. :)

True, but I'm saving my fast talking charm for the med students at whatever school I go to  ;)

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2006, 09:55:29 PM »

All girls say they don't like mean people. To an extent, it's probably true, but you know you like the occasional (or more than occasional) AH.

Well, I like it when guys aren't intimidated.

Ah! Oh, sorry, you scared me.  :o

??? :'(

I think there is something wrong with you in a Freudian sort of way.  You are clearly scared of all women.

I'm actually a fairly confident guy. I can say this because I used to be a hug-the-wall dork kind of guy. Well, I'm still a dork, but I don't hug the wall or look at my shoes anymore.

I still look at your shoes.

You'd like 'em. I've received more compliments on my shoes than anything else. Wait... I think this is a bad sign. Oh well, people like my shoes. :)

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2006, 09:48:52 AM »
I think the best LOR comes from an experienced professor from a popular feeder field (Polisci, history) who has SPECIFIC reasons why you are one of the best students he/she has come across. 

But by far the most important factor is specifics.  Anybody can say "He/She will be a fine lawyer"  The way I look at it, those are BAD recommendations. 

I'm pretty confident about my 2 recs.  I can list some of the unique experiences I had with them, so I think that's a good sign.

I don't think a LOR can hurt you unless, obviously, a prof says something bad about you.  But a really good LOR can only help you, and serves as a useful tiebreaker.

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2006, 10:27:54 AM »
I've only gotten drunk with ONE of my two Rec'ers :-\

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2006, 10:55:42 AM »
what if one of my rec'ers said that he is not certain about my choice of legal career? Is it bad then?

« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2007, 01:36:14 AM »
Sorry Bioethics, but based on what I've heard, that's really bad.  If an recommender implies that you aren't sure about law school, then that can be a huge turn off for adcoms.  I understand why.  Just look at all the unhappy lawyers out there.  So many exist, more than perhaps any other profession.  And these adcoms invariably talk to career counselers at the law school who give stories each year about unhappy future lawyers.  I even had a representative from Illinois Law say in my face that they explicitly look for clues about a person's motivation to study law.  No one really knows until they get to law school, but what the adcoms are looking for is a solid commitment to see things through.  That usually doesn't come out anywhere in the application, but what does happen is that you can find ways to reveal that you're either unsure about law or naive about it.  You might want to contact that recommender and ask him/her what they wrote.  Your science background (presumably) can be a huge catch, but you need to sell yourself properly. 

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2007, 12:05:17 PM »
For the greater part of my undergraduate career, I've worked in the Academic Affairs office of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at my school. One of my many work-study duties involved opening applications and sorting through letters of reccommendation in order to have them scanned into the database (a lot messier than LSAC's methods, which makes me all the more appreciative of it all).

Considering the fact that Engineering seems to lend itself to seemingly dry and technical assessments, I ran accross some surprisingly unique letters of recommendation letters such as:

Professor X: Despite his short stature, Mr. McShort is an amicable and appealing individual.

Professor Y: Unlike other asian students, Ms. B displays an uncanny penchant for creativity.

Professor W: As this applicant's olympic curling coach, I have an intimate understanding of his drive and character. This is the type of guy you'd want on your side in a bar fight.

These are nearly verbatim quotations. I also ran across a fair amount of awful, frightening LORs which were three sentences long and said nothing more than "X took 101 and 130 with me. He earned an A and a B."

Choose them carefully.

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2007, 01:09:41 PM »

Professor X: Despite his short stature, Mr. McShort is an amicable and appealing individual.

Professor Y: Unlike other asian students, Ms. B displays an uncanny penchant for creativity.

Professor W: As this applicant's olympic curling coach, I have an intimate understanding of his drive and character. This is the type of guy you'd want on your side in a bar fight.

These are nearly verbatim quotations. I also ran across a fair amount of awful, frightening LORs which were three sentences long and said nothing more than "X took 101 and 130 with me. He earned an A and a B."

Choose them carefully.

I want that job. I'm a busybody by nature, so that'd be perfect for me.

Those are some great quotes. If I ever have to write a recommendation letter, I'd like to start it with something like:

"It all began on a crisp winter night. Bob and I stalked the  beast with the visceral intensity of a wolf on the hunt. Our eyes shone in the pale moonlight as we glimpsed our prey. My nostrils twitched as I caught the acrid stench of the festering wound we had delivered to his solar plexus the night before. It smelled of almonds and rotting garbage; it was the finest odor I had ever experienced. As our prey limped into view, Bob and I leaped at once. He attacked the head and I took out the legs. As we sat over a roaring campfire devouring the roasted flesh of Mr. Kim, my former research assistant, my new research assistant and I whiled the night away with a rousing version of All Along The Watchtower.

In short, Bob has the motivation and drive to succeed in law school. I recommend Bob without reservation."

Brito

• AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2007, 01:12:02 PM »

Choose them carefully.

I want that job. I'm a busybody by nature, so that'd be perfect for me.

Those are some great quotes. If I ever have to write a recommendation letter, I'd like to start it with something like:

"It all began on a crisp winter night. Bob and I stalked the  beast with the visceral intensity of a wolf on the hunt. Our eyes shone in the pale moonlight as we glimpsed our prey. My nostrils twitched as I caught the acrid stench of the festering wound we had delivered to his solar plexus the night before. It smelled of almonds and rotting garbage; it was the finest odor I had ever experienced. As our prey limped into view, Bob and I leaped at once. He attacked the head and I took out the legs. As we sat over a roaring campfire devouring the roasted flesh of Mr. Kim, my former research assistant, my new research assistant and I whiled the night away with a rousing version of All Along The Watchtower.

In short, Bob has the motivation and drive to succeed in law school. I recommend Bob without reservation."

I'm not just giggling; I'm laughing boisterously.

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2007, 01:22:36 PM »

I'm not just giggling; I'm laughing boisterously.

How dare you laugh at my recommendation! Bob and I worked very hard for that kill. Incidentally, Bob was delicious. Research assistants never last very long, do they? But they do have a nice aftertaste.