Law School Discussion

"great LOR"

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: "great LOR"
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 04:30:10 PM »
not many people will be able to identify a letter as not so great because they will think they asked the right people when they actually asked the wrong people.  Asking a prof who you had as a freshman and who is famous or something is worse than asking a younger, less-well-known prof who you have taken three upper level classes with ... etc.

This is why going to a smaller school (smaller dept. actually, big school) is nice. I had three upper division courses with two of my recommenders and two with another.

true.  I had three with both of mine as well.

Brito

• AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 04:38:49 PM »
not many people will be able to identify a letter as not so great because they will think they asked the right people when they actually asked the wrong people.  Asking a prof who you had as a freshman and who is famous or something is worse than asking a younger, less-well-known prof who you have taken three upper level classes with ... etc.

This is why going to a smaller school (smaller dept. actually, big school) is nice. I had three upper division courses with two of my recommenders and two with another.

I had four classes with one of my recommenders, and another was my debate coach, who knows me very well. 

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 04:46:09 PM »

I had four classes with one of my recommenders, and another was my debate coach, who knows me very well. 

Well, la-de-freaking-da, Little Miss One-Up.  ;D

One of my recommenders is my grad adviser, so there. :P
EDIT: His letter includes the word "BEST" in all caps, surrounded by the words "unanimously voted by all the professors in the department". So double there. :P :P

I know you're going to twist my "surrounded by the words" quote, so have at it. :P

:P :P :P :P

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 04:51:53 PM »
When I was in grad school I got to participate on the adcomm for our program's MS/PhD admissions as a student observer. I'd say about 50-75% of the letters mentioned that the student was "the best/brightest student they had worked with in their XX year career." The problem with this kind of hyperbole is that a) it becomes hard to distinguish between candidates, and b) any professor that writes an honest recommendation puts their student at disadvantage. In short, letters of recommendation, unless they came from well-known professors in the field, had their values discounted by the sheer amount of exaggeration that went into them.
I'm not a big fan of letters of recommendation, as you can see.

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2006, 04:57:40 PM »
Yea I'm off the mind that LORs don't matter too much as long as they aren't bad.  That said, I'm hoping that my WE rec stands out, especially at NU.  My recommender let me read it--and I would divulge some of the things noted, but it's somewhat bizarre and I would surely be outed if an adcom happened to be reading right now  :D

Brito

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2006, 04:59:54 PM »

Well, la-de-freaking-da, Little Miss One-Up.  ;D

One of my recommenders is my grad adviser, so there. :P
EDIT: His letter includes the word "BEST" in all caps, surrounded by the words "unanimously voted by all the professors in the department". So double there. :P :P

I know you're going to twist my "surrounded by the words" quote, so have at it. :P

:P :P :P :P

"unanimously voted by all the BEST professors in the department to be a rather competent student."

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2006, 05:02:51 PM »
Yea I'm off the mind that LORs don't matter too much as long as they aren't bad.  That said, I'm hoping that my WE rec stands out, especially at NU.  My recommender let me read it--and I would divulge some of the things noted, but it's somewhat bizarre and I would surely be outed if an adcom happened to be reading right now  :D

I agree to an extent.  If you are anything close to an auto admit the numbers speak for themselves.  And not everyone can be voted the BEST.  But those that are get a boost from their LOR, no doubt.

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2006, 05:26:16 PM »

"unanimously voted by all the BEST professors in the department to be a rather competent student."

And I'm out.

I really freaking hope we go to the same school. I'll miss this stuff. :)

Brito

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2006, 05:46:40 PM »

And I'm out.

At least you finally applied to Chicago.

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2006, 05:49:49 PM »

And I'm out.

At least you finally applied to Chicago.

Yeah, but only to play it off CLS if I get into both. Err, Chicago adcomms, you didn't see that. I keed, I keed.