Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PT vs. FT?  (Read 497 times)

Strobs

• View Profile
PT vs. FT?
« on: December 30, 2006, 02:50:06 PM »
I just took the December LSAT and got a 155 with a moderate GPA. Hmmm... I think that puts me in the "probably 4th tier, maybe third, kiss-someone's-ass-and-you'll-get-in 2nd and hell no first tier" category. Someone suggested that I apply to the part-time programs - specifically USF and Santa Clara because it might be easier - and you can probably enroll in their FT next year. However, the numbers aren't that much lower, and I don't have a family or any huge reason why I need to be a part-time applicant. Thoughts? 

paul1454

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: PT vs. FT?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 02:59:29 PM »
Well, if you apply the answer may be yes or it may be no.  If you don't apply, the answer will certainly be NO.

You're above the 25% LSAT at Santa Clara.  How's your GPA?

Strobs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 03:13:40 PM »
3.1 (can't even round up) :( at a good school and a D1 athlete - I'm hoping that will help, but I have a feeling that although most admissions claim to take a look at your application as a whole, they're really just looking at the numbers. I'm definitely going to apply to USF and SCU, but don't want to shoot myself in the foot by applying PT instead.

paul1454

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 03:21:22 PM »
You definitely won't shoot yourself in the foot.  What you WILL do, is increase your chances for acceptance. 

You can switch to full-time later or if you do well (top 15 - 20% of your class) you may even decide to transfer to a higher ranked school (your law school grades will hold more weight on your transfer app than your LSAT). 

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 02:16:59 PM »
Definitely retake, especially with the new ABA policy!

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 06:29:14 PM »
Question: Is it possible/common for someone to be Waitlisted for FT and Accepted PT when applying to both divisions?

VIP.