Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can Anyone Recommend a Family Friendly Law School?  (Read 1643 times)

kmarty

• View Profile
Can Anyone Recommend a Family Friendly Law School?
« on: December 30, 2006, 11:15:46 AM »
I'm a single mom of 2 boys-8 and 3 and live in Georgia.  I'm applying to Georgia and Duke, but would like to know if anyone could suggest another school that is supportive of students with families.  Thanks for any suggestions!

GMAN

• View Profile
Re: Can Anyone Recommend a Family Friendly Law School?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 12:31:31 PM »
Try BYU.  Good school, extremely affotdable.

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 07:37:23 PM »
Alabama's website and their acceptance packet is full of info on daycares, local schools, etc.  So I'd assume that they're more family friendly than most schools.
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

demian23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 06:38:28 PM »
I have a new baby and will be going to Alabama.  I've talked to several faculty, admissions, and students and they're quite family friendly and supportive.  They made me feel like going to law school with a baby was not only doable, but completely ordinary and normal!  I didn't really get this feeling from other schools.

LegalMatters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 01:56:52 PM »
Cornell is very family friendly, though it's an Ivy. I lived there for three years as a "townie" and some of my colleagues were married to CU students. They lived in on-campus housing designed for families - playgrounds, daycare, etc.

natalunia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 02:29:38 PM »
I've been told South Texas College of Law kind of markets to people who already have children/families and are headed to law school after being in the real world awhile. They have FT day programs and PT night programs, so you can go to school around your families schedule, and they understand many people having kids. I know one atty who had a baby in the middle of law school and went to night school after work, so it's doable.
I am currently a chemistry teacher
Moving to Austin soon...
Will be applying for Fall 2009 Admission to: University of Texas-Austin, St. Mary's University and Baylor University.

letylyf

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 02:33:25 PM »
Try BYU.  Good school, extremely affotdable.

Actually, this is pretty good advice. A LOT of students there have children, and there's a center on campus where you can bring your kids and watch newsfeed of your class if you can't leave them at home, as well as day-care if you want to actually attend class. It's extremely family-friendly as it's an LDS school, and they place a heavy emphasis on family ties and values.

Of course, if you can't stomach the very conservative religious atmosphere, then I doubt that's a good idea. But all things considered BYU Law is excellent.

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 11:18:20 AM »
I think schools, in general, are supportive of non-trads. However, there are some things that schools have little control over. For example, there is very little that a school located in a big city can do in terms of affordable housing, etc. I'd suggest you keep this in mind as you consider schools.
1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 11:57:42 AM »
Washington & Lee - it's great for cost of living, the "law families" group is very active here; both myself and a good friend will be having our first kids in August, and there's another guy coming here who has 5 kids.  Also in general it's a great community atmosphere - people help each other out with everything, babysitting certainly included.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .