Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why Have You Decided To Go To Law School?  (Read 6068 times)

darrow

• View Profile
Why Have You Decided To Go To Law School?
« on: December 30, 2006, 12:26:00 AM »
First, I am amazed by the number of non-traditionals there are on this board! It is so encouraging.

I am 43 and currently pursuing my BA so that I can go to law school. My areas of interest are poverty, public, intellectual, and constitutional law. Years ago, I was in pre-law (political science) and a combination of a couple of friends dying, my college closing, and dealing with my own sexuality, diverted my path from following in the footsteps of my childhood hero, Clarence Darrow.

I had always "planned" to return to school. But one thing led to another and I entered the computer world, which I love. Then a few years ago, a few things happened that made me reassess my life and reawakened my childhood dream. My long-term relationship ended, I served on jury duty, I had some serious health issues, and an eighteen year old kid got thrown in jail for having a link to an anarchist site on his anti-Iraq war website.

I could see my path very clearly, and knew it was time to fulfill the promise I had made to myself long ago. I have so much faith in the law, in our U.S. Constitution. I want to be a part of the process that ensures that our nation continues to move toward the higher principles upon which it was founded—a more perfect union where everyone can sit at the table.

Still an idealist…
Tact is the act of making a point without making an enemy. ~ Clarence Darrow

Do not bind the children within the narrow circles of your own lives. ~ Charles Houston

paul1454

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why Have You Decided To Go To Law School?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 11:43:45 AM »
I know it sounds cliché, but I am going to law school, not so much for the career prospects but for the knowledge gained.  As a CPA in a public accounting firm, I spend a great deal of time sifting through Internal Revenue Code and Treasury Regulations. While the majority of my colleagues search for someone else's interpretation of specific legal matters, I desire the ability to understand without such interpretation. 

Although it may be overly ambitious, I believe law school will help mold my manner of thinking, in turn, making me a more self-reliant, capable, and competent tax practitioner. 

kmarty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 11:59:23 AM »
I'm going because it's what I've always said I wanted to do and I finally feel like it's time for me to do it.  I was a teen mom and went to college on a full ride to play soccer when my son was 8 months old.  I got married in my second year of undergrad and continued playing soccer and going full time to school in addition to being married and a mom.  I graduated from undergrad in 3 years instead of 4.  My undergrad is Pre-Law.  Then, I changed gears and took Praxis I and II to get provisionally certified to teach in the state of Georgia.  I taught for 4 years and in my 5th year of teaching 9th grade.  I finished my Masters in Education during my 2nd and 3rd years of teaching and had another child during that time as well.  This past September, I got divorced.  So now, I'm a single mother of 2 boys and am tired of teaching and want to do what I have always said I would-go to law school.  I want to be able to provide for my boys in a way that I feel they deserve and unfortunately, educators do not get paid near enough what they should.  I also want my boys to know that you can get as much of an education as you want and nothing can stand in your way except yourself.  I'm planning on pursuing family, juvenile, or education law.  Anyway, hopefully I get in and am able to start in the fall of 2007.  I'm going all out-quitting my job, moving on campus an hour away from family, the works, but I think it's going to be the best and the hardest 3 years of my life.

rugercaptain

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shirley, Probie, & Sarah--gone to Rainbow Bridge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 02:19:31 PM »
First, I am amazed by the number of non-traditionals there are on this board! It is so encouraging.

Ah, a discussion thread to which I can relate!

45 y/o career fire service member, BS in Economics from Heidelberg College (OH) 1985.  Been in the fire service since '88, now a battalion chief.  Experience in code enforcement and administrative law as they relate to fire prevention and inspection.  Currently enrolled in a MPA program, but law is really my calling.  I'll probably keep the job (only six years to go until retirement) and go to law school part-time evenings beginning Fall 2007.

I'm taking the LSAT in February.  To pass the time until then (and because I have nothing else to do--right), I bought a few "Outstanding Law Professor Series" Sum and Substance CDs--I really like the Constitutional Law CDs by Professor Mary Cheh.  Darrow--you may want to check these out for a taste of Con Law.

rugercaptain 
Cleveland-Marshall 3L.

emigre

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 10:33:26 PM »
Why not?

48 years old, married, 15 year old child.  Been a paralegal since 1981 and always had great, challenging jobs.  Lived in lots of different places, outside USA as well as in.  Moved three years ago, found out that where I live now, paralegal means admin.  Also, working for university, so free tuition.  Combination of factors set off the little voice inside my head, saying, maybe it's time.

Of course, little voices could just mean it's time to adjust the medication - but did well enough on the LSAT to take it all seriously. So, why not will do.

darrow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 01:01:56 AM »
Thanks for sharing.

I like that there’s this little voice that awakens old desires. I watch my mom who is 75 and I am sure that were she born a few decades later, she would have fulfilled other dreams, as well as, being a homemaker. This calling has opened a second phase in my career life. It makes me feel young again, as if there is so much still to do and plenty of time. (Probably because I’m around twenty year olds all the time.) There’s an excitement of newness in everyday that had, not disappeared, but dissipated before I stepped onto this path.

I find that I’m becoming more flexible in my thinking as I engage more and more in this process. They say that as we get older, our music tastes become more rigid, as do other tastes and opinions that we’ve formed. So this returning to school is refreshing, like an engine overhaul.

A few acquaintances have questioned my pursuit (“at your age”). But I understand emigre’s thinking, why not. If not this what—watch TV all the time? I actually feel energized by what I learn and find that I’m amazed that even though I might forget constantly where I’ve put something that I’ve put in a special place so I won’t forget where I put it, I can and do learn and retain new subject matters.

I don’t think we are overly ambitious, Paul. I just think that we are engaged in living, in fulfilling out desires instead of being held back by fear. (Not to say I haven’t had fears in this process.) And I think that as KMarty said, we are showing the youngsters in our families one of the most important lessons in life—pursue your dreams.

Thanks for the recommendation, rugercaptain. I will take a look at the Con Law CDs. Oh, and in case anyone is interested, http://www.lifeofalawstudent.com/ offers some great law lessons that can be listened to on the site or downloaded as mp3s or podcast from iTunes.

So is everyone beginning in fall of 2007? I’ll be interested to hear how it goes.

I’m actually considering waiting a couple of years after I graduate while I pursue my Masters through the graduate program at St. John’s College. They do the great books of Western thought and I’ve never had the opportunity to study the “great books.” I also figured that this would help build a more solid foundation before studying U.S. law, which is based on Western thought. Or maybe, I’m just stalling…

What are everyone’s plans for ensuring proper study time, as well as family time? How has your family reacted to your goals?

Happy New Year
Tact is the act of making a point without making an enemy. ~ Clarence Darrow

Do not bind the children within the narrow circles of your own lives. ~ Charles Houston

emigre

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 08:28:42 PM »
darrow -  do law school now and save the great books for retirement.  They'll still be there. 

My husband is very keen on me going to law school, but I think it's all part of a secret plan whereby he will get to retire when he's 55 and his attorney wife support him.

What I'm concerned about is, with working full time and law school part time, I'm not going to have any free time - and my daughter goes off to college in 2 1/2 years.  Do I want to miss out on this time?  should I put it off for another two years?  difficult....

rugercaptain

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shirley, Probie, & Sarah--gone to Rainbow Bridge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 10:21:44 PM »
What I'm concerned about is, with working full time and law school part time, I'm not going to have any free time - and my daughter goes off to college in 2 1/2 years.  Do I want to miss out on this time?  should I put it off for another two years?  difficult....

I don't know, emigre...I don't have children.  Don't like kids, but am always respectful of those who can have and raise them.  My partner and I have discussed my going to law school full-time--if I can get a full tuition scholarship.  That would mean quitting my job and moving into an apartment near school, leaving her to manage a household and four pugs on her own.

If my Dad had wanted to go to college when I was 15-16 years old, I would've just shrugged.   ???   Mom died when I was fourteen, and Dad was a factory worker, slaving away on second shift at the local GM plant.  I took care of myself and my sister--Dad did what he needed to do for us financially.  In the spirit of truth, however, I would've liked a little more emotional support from Dad back then, but he probably didn't have the capacity to give it.  

Mom and Dad are both gone now.  My partner and I have been together for fourteen years and we have a solid relationship (as well as a decent investment portfolio--can't emphasize how much security that provides).  She wants me to be happy, and I think I'll be happy in law school and as a lawyer.  The fire service has been an interesting diversion for me, but it isn't what I was born to do.

Have you talked with your daughter about your law school ambitions?

rugercaptain
Cleveland-Marshall 3L.

LadyKD

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it began..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 10:32:33 PM »
34 year old single mom of one. I cant remember a time when I didnt want to go to law school. Thank you Barbara Jordan.

But a thing called life got in the way. So after doing undergrad part-time (took forever it seems like) I figure why not keep my dream alive and go for the whole shebang.

I am not going to lawschool for the big bucks, I work in state government and could be one of the rare few who enjoys my job in public service. Bleeding heart liberal(but someone has to be) So by going to lawschool I hope to add more knowledge for myself and do more in the way of public service. 

JDubs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 01:09:35 PM »
28yo husband and father of a 3.5 month old.  Been a programmer for close to 7 years and am sick of it.  Almost went to LS 2.5 years ago but chickened out for financial reasons at the last minute.  Been unhappy ever since and finally decided to bite the bullet and start PT in the fall.

gonna be tough with the little one but I figured it makes more sense to do it now since he won't remember much of this time in his life when he is older anyway.  plan is to be done in time to start coaching his soccer team :)

no interest in big law when all is said and done, ideally would hang my own shingle but have a feeling I'll work for a small/mid size firm for several years first.
LSN

Going to Temple's Evening Program in '07!