Law School Discussion

Why Have You Decided To Go To Law School?

jsbowen

• "Straight cash, homey"
    • View Profile
Re: Why Have You Decided To Go To Law School?
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2007, 09:24:38 AM »
...I finally realized that just because you can do something doesn't mean you have to make a career of it.

...I want to develop a competency in a specific area. The jack of all trades, master of none bit is not working for me anymore.

These two hit home for me.  Well said!

flyaway

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2007, 12:13:48 PM »

...I want to develop a competency in a specific area. The jack of all trades, master of none bit is not working for me anymore.

Yeah, I especially like this one.  I want a freaking particular career path, rather than having had some great jobs and developed great skills, but none that qualify me to say I am a X.

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2007, 05:46:55 AM »
A very big reason that I'd like to be a patent attorney, that for some reason I've left unsaid--maybe because I don't feel like getting into arguments about science on a non-scientific discussion board (but I've just spent about four hours researching pseudoscience and bad patents, so now is a good a time as any to broach the topic)--is to try to combat bad science in patents. There are just too many patents granted (too many being any number greater than one, so I guess it would be more accurate to say way too many) that do stuff like, oh, I don't know, defy the laws of physics (e.g., patents on perpetual motion and free-energy machines). That's not to say that such machines are impossible, but, well, they probably are. The USPTO is supposed to require an extraordinary amount of evidence in favor of anything that seemingly defies established scientific principles, but they're just not doing it very well anymore. They used to require a working model of something before granting a patent. I'd like to see it go back to that standard.

I'm unsure how to best channel my efforts, but I'm thinking that if I'm a patent attorney for a number of years, I'll get working knowledge of how patents are prosecuted and litigated, and maybe (note the emphasis) get to quash a few bad patent attempts in the process. Then, perhaps I'll move to the USPTO (with a massive pay cut, of course), starting as a patent examiner, hopefully moving to the administrative levels (maybe Director? One can hope...) where I can affect some real change in the process.

So, my reasons are (in no particular order):
1. Help engineers and scientists in the patent process.
2. Get an intellectually rewarding (and nice-paying) job that utilizes my communication skills in addition to my technical knowledge (that sounds resume-ish, huh?).
3. Help stop the pseudoscientific crap that leaks through the cracks.

GwenK

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2007, 12:07:49 PM »
Life is short...and this is something that I've always wanted. Not sure exactly what I want to practice, but I don't really need to until 2L.

I think alot of the naysayers I've heard asking over and over "why" are really just jealous because they're in so much debt and shackled to their jobs that they cannot imagine actually capitalizing on their dream! I feel very fortunate!

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2007, 03:00:50 PM »
I have no interest in getting a "fluff" graduate degree.

completely agree everybody in my office has an MS or MA in who gives a f$%K...its not helping them one bit

mldjd2011

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2007, 08:34:53 AM »
35 y/o teacher married to a cop
Life is too short to be bored.
Teaching has become a job of public relations.  I want to make an impact in the world and public education doesn't allow that anymore... So, now it is time for me to challenge myself and pursue the dream. Plus, I just really enjoy the journey of learning.

AJ

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2007, 08:12:18 PM »
I need more professional autonomy.

I've already gotten my "fluff" graduate degree. At least maybe it'll be a good soft factor. 

I'm 35 years old and been kicking the idea around for years.

No wife, no kids--its good timing if I can just deal with the June test.

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2007, 12:52:31 AM »
its pretty simple why everyone has fluff master degrees

i graduated UG in 2005.  I received incredible pressure from family, friends, professors, my advisor to continue my education in some sort of masters program (something, doesn't matter what).  I didn't.  gotta an okay job.  plan on going to law school in fall 2008.  I receive scorn from everyone.  kind of wish i would of gotten a masters in theology or something to keep everyone off my back.

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2007, 03:30:46 PM »
Undergrad degree long, long ago. Many different jobs since then (editing, teaching, filmmaking, programming, assistant to private investigator, model, massage therapist, and more, more, more). Never thought about law school until two years ago when a relative was wrongfully convicted of murder. Now, that's all I think about. Just in beginning stages (studying for LSAT, figuring out the financial aspect), but determined that even if I can't help my relative, I can help SOMEONE.

Paper Chaser

• http://guinnessandchocolate.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2007, 03:26:53 PM »
Financial stability, prestige, to do work that makes a difference, achieve my dream since I was a kid, pave the way for my kids ascension to higher education, access to various money making avenues the law opens, possibly teach, write books, travel and study at different institutions, to make my parents proud, to show the gang youth I tutor that you can be whatever you want no matter where you come from, to enjoy life the Ralph Lauren way (lol), the intellectual camaraderie of others outside my perspective and understanding, and hopefully allow my wife to be a homemaker if she chooses...law is one of the few professions in life that can help or destroy people...I just want to leave my footprint in the sand like everyone else.