Law School Discussion

Why Have You Decided To Go To Law School?

Re: Why Have You Decided To Go To Law School?
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2007, 10:43:48 PM »
35 years old, married, two kids. Been to war, came back and work on a dock. I'm too smart to do that forever (at least I think I am). Have the undergraduate degree and always thought I'd go to law school one of these days. Now seems like the right time.

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2007, 02:56:20 PM »
35 years old, married, two kids. Been to war, came back and work on a dock. I'm too smart to do that forever (at least I think I am). Have the undergraduate degree and always thought I'd go to law school one of these days. Now seems like the right time.

thanks for your service...always glad to see vets getting on with their lives

rugercaptain

• Shirley, Probie, & Sarah--gone to Rainbow Bridge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2007, 03:19:52 AM »
And also, I'm tired of being a grown up, and I want to go back to school for a few years.

Cheers,

Para

I'm glad someone else admitted this first.  Ah, the life of a poor, hard-working, macaroni-and-cheese eating student!   :D

rugercaptain

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2007, 03:35:23 AM »
Hey Rob,
Where did you do your Labor Relations studies?  I worked in the union/labor relations field for about six years before heading to law school this fall, and I have my masters in Industrial and Labor Relations.  Always good to see more union folk taking the plunge!

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2007, 10:11:42 AM »
SUNY College at Old Westbury... it's one of the few schools that have a degree specifically for labor relations. Everytime I mention my major, the first place that comes to mind is Cornell... but I'm afraid that I'm not quite that prestigious. I guess I'll be the blue collar attorney. ;)
Rob

Hey Rob,
Where did you do your Labor Relations studies?  I worked in the union/labor relations field for about six years before heading to law school this fall, and I have my masters in Industrial and Labor Relations.  Always good to see more union folk taking the plunge!

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2007, 10:33:30 AM »
29 years old, no child, have a to-be boyfriend studying in US for phD degree, but I am not sure he will be the right one.
I am a patent agent in China, 1 year in-house patent engineer, 2 year patent law firm experience.
I just registered for this Jun LSAT, although I am still in a shaky mind. I want a relationship and build my family, but from my past experience, you can never rely on guys to promise you a happy life. So I want to make myself more professional in the patent attorney career path, so anytime I can be strong enough to leave if I met the wrong guy.

Maybe I will harvest a Mr right in law school, who knows.

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2007, 10:37:52 AM »
SUNY College at Old Westbury... it's one of the few schools that have a degree specifically for labor relations. Everytime I mention my major, the first place that comes to mind is Cornell... but I'm afraid that I'm not quite that prestigious. I guess I'll be the blue collar attorney. ;)
Rob

Hey Rob,

Prestige, schmestige... I did do my master's at Cornell, but I'm a proud SUNY alum for undergrad myself.  Good to see others around these here pedigree-obsessed parts!   :D

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2007, 12:41:02 PM »
What do you mean by a to-be boyfriend?

29 years old, no child, have a to-be boyfriend studying in US for phD degree, but I am not sure he will be the right one.
I am a patent agent in China, 1 year in-house patent engineer, 2 year patent law firm experience.
I just registered for this Jun LSAT, although I am still in a shaky mind. I want a relationship and build my family, but from my past experience, you can never rely on guys to promise you a happy life. So I want to make myself more professional in the patent attorney career path, so anytime I can be strong enough to leave if I met the wrong guy.

Maybe I will harvest a Mr right in law school, who knows.

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2007, 04:24:28 PM »
I'm 34, single mom of an 11yo girl. 

Got divorced two years ago; my ex died in November.  My dad died a year ago October, and my FIL the December before...  The universe is sending me clear signals that life is short. 

I always wanted to be in law, but the family thing happened 

I was far too busy with my travel heavy, fun but ruined by a noxious boss job.  I'm taking some time off to recuperate and focus on me and the kid, planning to enter fall 2008... was going to try for 2007 but just so much going on still, with dealing with the estate and just getting life back to normal.

Best of luck to all on the 2007 cycle - see you around!

naturallybeyoutiful

• Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2007, 04:46:15 PM »
because...

...I have always wanted to go.
...I welcome the intellectual challenge and academic rigor of LS.
...I have no interest in getting a "fluff" graduate degree.  I must work hard and think hard in school and on the job.
...I believe LS will best develop and capitalize on my strengths and abilities.
...I want to see justice roll down like water and righteousness like a mighty stream.
...I finally realized that just because you can do something doesn't mean you have to make a career of it.
...I carefully weighed all my options, and every other program paled in comparison.
...I secretly envy all my friends who have finished LS or MS and started their careers.
...I had always planned to go back to school after two years post-UG.  It's been four.  No time like the present.
...I love having the freedom to one day work for myself, a firm, or in a new field altogether.
...I hope to forge a path for other talented URMs in the field.
...I seriously need a break from the working world.  I can really appreciate being a student this time around.
...I want to develop a competency in a specific area. The jack of all trades, master of none bit is not working for me anymore.
...I have actually started receiving acceptance letters.  Finally.  YAY!