Law School Discussion

Why Have You Decided To Go To Law School?

Re: Why Have You Decided To Go To Law School?
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 12:17:19 PM »
20 yrs/nursing + 20 yrs/attorney = well rounded good life? Hope to make more money the last 20 years. Who knows.

Boss

• You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 12:31:20 PM »
My main reason for going to law school (other than I said I was going to since the 5th grade) is the flexibility a JD provides.  It is a strong education that transfers well to many areas.  If I want to work in a small office in a rural town, I can.  If I want to work in a big office in NYC, I can.  If I want to setup my own shop by the beach, I can.

What he said - word for word.

The clincher for me was going through a job search after leaving the Army and having to explain over and over again that my 3-5 years military leadership and management equate to the 3-5 years civlian leadership and management they were looking for.  Hiring managers just didn't seem to care.  Then I had one actually tell me that they don't like to hire BA's because a BS actually proves that you're capable of learning. WHAT!?!?!?  Try saying that to me when I've got my JD.  Plus, law is law.  Having a JD makes it much easier to apply for jobs.  If the ad says "3-5 years experience as a lawyer" we're all on the same page.

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 12:32:47 PM »
Man, I love the Non-Trad board sometimes.  This thread has been fun reading.

Para Legal

• Go Pipers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 07:14:19 PM »
I've always wanted to go, and we have enough equity in our house right now to sell, live cheap and pay off all our debts...then take student loans and be able to get a professional job on the other side of the law school thing. We've also made another goal happen- we've saved a significant amount of money for retirement (early money is awesome) so even if we can't save for another 3 years while in school, we're still on track in that department.

And also, I'm tired of being a grown up, and I want to go back to school for a few years.

Cheers,

Para

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 08:49:23 PM »
31 years old, father of 2 (1 yr old boy, 10 wk old fetus).  I've been in law enforcement for the last six years, and although I know that is only a small are of the law, it is one to which I've gained great exposure and insight.  Heck, if nothing else worked out I know I could come back and replace some of my prosecuting attorneys.  I've just decided it is time for a change, and this seems to be the next logical step, not based on my work experience, but based on my interests--although I'm not sure specifically what they are. 
My wife and I have decided that since she is marketable enough just about anywhere in her career, we are going to move the family wherever I get in, and she'll be the sugar mama for three years whilst I sit, study, and be merry.

You seem awesome...especially on your other posts :) Where are you applying?

And to not get totally off topic...I'm in the weird middle of being a traditional vs. non traditional...I don't know what I am (the story of my life). I just finished my undergraduate degree in 2006...it took me six years...I went to school part-time for a while because I had to work full time through school to support myself. I got pregnant while still in college and now have a lovely 2.5 year old boy. I just got married in June 2006. Even though I'm only 24, most people my age aren't "like me" and don't identify with my situation so I'm hoping there will be someplace for me to fit in at whatever law school I choose.

I decided I wanted to go to law school for several reasons. First off, a friend from high school planted the seed in my head when I met up with him for drink while in Chicago on business (he was studying at Northwestern Law) - He told me I would make a good lawyer. Secondly, I worked for this guy as his assistant(slave essentially) and worked with General Counsel and was around a lot of different legal things, so it interested inspired me. But mostly, I decided i wasn't satisfied with my life and holding down an unchallenging and boring administrative-assistant style job.

andyroberts

• Amy?
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2007, 09:01:24 AM »
Thanks, northerstar.  A compliment is refreshing, especially considering some of the know-it-all pups out on this site.  Ha ha.  My LSN link is on my signature line.  My #'s are pretty unspectacular, but it is what it is.  Sounds like you've got a full plate, too.  I had a similar experience about the law school epiphane.  I was sitting in the police academy learning criminal law from our lead county prosecutor, an eloquent fat man.  Also, some of my UG professors are attorneys as well, and it just took me finding the right time to start the next steps.  But being around them and absorbing some of what they had to offer gave me a little different perspective as to where I fit in. I've been out of UG for almost four years now, and, and I only got my degree nine years after I graduated HS. 
I really like the non-trad board because it's not full of pompous 22-yr-olds with no life experience outside academia.  I had two close...very close admits last cycle, but ultimately got dinged on both.  I know this is my year, since I've applied to thirteen schools instead of just four like last time.
By the way, finding time to study and take care of everything else is multiplied at least tenfold with kids, huh? 

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 10:18:31 AM »
Thanks, northerstar.  A compliment is refreshing, especially considering some of the know-it-all pups out on this site.  Ha ha.  My LSN link is on my signature line.  My #'s are pretty unspectacular, but it is what it is.  Sounds like you've got a full plate, too.  I had a similar experience about the law school epiphane.  I was sitting in the police academy learning criminal law from our lead county prosecutor, an eloquent fat man.  Also, some of my UG professors are attorneys as well, and it just took me finding the right time to start the next steps.  But being around them and absorbing some of what they had to offer gave me a little different perspective as to where I fit in. I've been out of UG for almost four years now, and, and I only got my degree nine years after I graduated HS. 
I really like the non-trad board because it's not full of pompous 22-yr-olds with no life experience outside academia.  I had two close...very close admits last cycle, but ultimately got dinged on both.  I know this is my year, since I've applied to thirteen schools instead of just four like last time.
By the way, finding time to study and take care of everything else is multiplied at least tenfold with kids, huh? 

Yeah no kidding. The other day I was trying to get some work at home done and I had a 2.5 year old crawling all over me. Our house is small so there is no escaping the baby. My husband and I have finally agreed that if we need to study or do work (he's still finishing his undergrad), we leave the house.

You sound like you have a lot going for you - I'm sure you will get into a great school - My numbers aren't the best either, so I'm hoping that unique life experience counts for something. Best of luck to you and I hope to see you around on the board!

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2007, 01:24:25 AM »
You guys put me to shame, but I'll share nonetheless.

28 yrs. old, BSEE, working on an MSEE now (but I won't finish before I go to law school). I have 2+ years research experience in nanotechnology and solid state devices. I also have 5+ yrs. experience in IT (Cisco, Checkpoint, server & workstation config. & setup, etc.).

I'm a pretty good communicator but most engineers aren't. I'm also better in theory than in practical stuff (I'm too lazy to do any actual work ;)). I want to put these skills to good use and help engineers with the language of the law (drafting patents, litigation, etc.)

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2007, 12:11:35 PM »
Why am I going to law school? I'm a 35 year-old telecom technician w/ 9 years at a major telephone company. Thought I was sitting pretty... good salary, good benefits, retire after 30 years w/ a good pension. Too bad the company did a lay-off back in 2002, a week before Christmas. I was s'pposed to be one of the ones out on the street, but a clause in our contract allowed me to kepp my job, albeit with a downgrade from technician to mail room clerk on midnights. I spent a year there stuffing phone bills from 11:30 pm to 6:30 am, Tuesday thru Saturday. The union finally got everyone there jobs back, but that year left me plenty of time to think about my future. Got me to get off my lazy butt and head back to school. Majored in Labor Relations and became a shop steward. Decided that I liked advocating for the membership and developed a real strong appreciation for collective bargaining agreements, so law school seems like the right place to learn more about both those aspects.
Rob

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2007, 02:11:57 PM »
always wanted to...and im tired of doing what im doing...plus working in DC i know how much money is out there to be made and i want in  :)...