Law School Discussion

Why Have You Decided To Go To Law School?

jsbowen

• "Straight cash, homey"
    • View Profile
Re: Why Have You Decided To Go To Law School?
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 01:15:03 PM »
28 year old husband and father of two (son 4 and daughter 9 months).  I plan on starting in the Fall of 07.  I've worked in the IT field for 5-7 years.  I enjoy technology and hope to incorporate it into my legal career (most likely IP).

My main reason for going to law school (other than I said I was going to since the 5th grade) is the flexibility a JD provides.  It is a strong education that transfers well to many areas.  If I want to work in a small office in a rural town, I can.  If I want to work in a big office in NYC, I can.  If I want to setup my own shop by the beach, I can.

Also, I tend to have many interests and like pursuing them thoroughly.  A legal education should provide many avenues in which I can direct.  I initially will focus on IP, due to my tech background, but I wouldn't rule out changing into Real Estate, Healthcare, or Corp.

As far as time management, I plan on treating law school like a full-time job.  40-50 hours a week during the day, overtime at night and weekends as needed.

The most difficult part for me in the decision is financial.  I am the only income for my family and am most likely earning more now than I will upon graduation from law school.  I anticipate having to take many, many thousands of dollars in loans just to get through.  The mindset of acquiring so much debt is difficult to accept; one that I hope my wife and children (eventually) understand and continue to support.

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 04:46:20 PM »
What I'm concerned about is, with working full time and law school part time, I'm not going to have any free time - and my daughter goes off to college in 2 1/2 years.  Do I want to miss out on this time?  should I put it off for another two years?  difficult....

I think ruger's on the right track. So emigre, did you talk with your daughter? How does she feel about you going to law school? You can always make a point of putting aside a day for the family. You've got the free tuition now and may not have it later. How cool is that? You'll probably be graduating around the same time she graduates.

Does your job require a lot of overtime? Or do you leave it behind when you walk out the door?

All right LadyKD! Another Barbara Jordan fan. How do you handle school, work, and being a single mom? How do you ensure there is time for your child? I'm only in undergrad, and granted I'm taking a full load both in work and school, but I have found it hard to find the balance of my goals and my family.

JDubs, what's your language? JSBowen, you mentioned treating school like a full-time job and your concern about the finances, are you going to continue working while you are in school? I've continued programming while I'm in undergraduate, and it has worked out well. What kind of IT work do you do JS?

JDubs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 05:25:09 PM »
JDubs, what's your language?

Java/JSP primarily, do some stuff with PHP though.

Probably going to cut back to PT once I start school though and fill in the gaps with freelance web development work.  Hour train ride to school every night plus wanting to see my son will cause me to cut back.

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 08:37:44 PM »
rugercaptain and darrow:

sure, my daughter's fully behind it - in principle.  But asking a 15 year old to give up comfort and convenience (i.e. an instantly available mom, which she's been used to for 15 years, even though I've worked most of that time) is like asking time to run backwards - it may be desireable, but don't hold your breath.

Actually, I think it would be harder for me than for her.  I was thinking more that limiting our time together when she's going to be gone - gone- in 2 1/2 years will be missing too much.

On the other hand, it would be kind of cool to graduate at the same time......

At the same time, unlike the rest of you, law school was never really a dream of mine.  I became a paralegal at a time when it was a new and exciting profession, and have always loved doing it - worked for some large firms, some corporations, and always rose immediately to the top of the paralegal heap and got the plum assignments....until we moved to KY three years ago.  Ironically, now that I've kind of made up my mind about going to law school, and let the attorneys I work with know that, they've started viewing me in a new light - and now are piling on the plum assignments.  So law school may be a moot point right now - I've got far to much to do. 

On the other hand, the free tuition - and never having to explain again that I'm not JUST a paralegal....

To many other hands here, my decision changes daily!  But I think I'm going to do it anyway.

edited because the italics went wrong.

andyroberts

• Amy?
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 07:54:43 AM »
31 years old, father of 2 (1 yr old boy, 10 wk old fetus).  I've been in law enforcement for the last six years, and although I know that is only a small are of the law, it is one to which I've gained great exposure and insight.  Heck, if nothing else worked out I know I could come back and replace some of my prosecuting attorneys.  I've just decided it is time for a change, and this seems to be the next logical step, not based on my work experience, but based on my interests--although I'm not sure specifically what they are. 
My wife and I have decided that since she is marketable enough just about anywhere in her career, we are going to move the family wherever I get in, and she'll be the sugar mama for three years whilst I sit, study, and be merry.

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 08:58:54 PM »
The train is a good time to get some work in JDubs. Great thing about our line of work, we can do it anywhere we have a computer. Oddly enough, I haven't had the opportunity to get into web stuff too deeply. I did some work with Perl a while back but right now I find myself mostly building vertical applications with VB and SQL.

Ah, emigre, you want your cake and you want to eat it too. Well, why not?!! I was reading some other posts that were talking about the school work load and the worries of not being able to get in all the time we want with our families. A couple of people pointed out, and I think rightly so, that a lot of youngsters spend a great deal of time partying. I've watched my nephews and neices prepare for a night on the town. It takes them a good hour or two just to coordinate (with all the instant messaging they do - never using the phone to clarify). The posts pointed out that this is our family/work time, that's how we party. There will be plenty of free time for your daughter. And remember her friends are becoming more important with each passing day. Law school will keep you busy while she off being a teenager with her friends.

Any ideas for what kind of law you want to practice Andy?

andyroberts

• Amy?
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 10:07:12 PM »
Well, Darrow, from a cop's standpoint, the obvious transition would be to criminal prosecution or defense, but I'm not so sure.  Pretty much, I'll go where the post-1L interest takes me.  I like the idea of family law as a solo prac. or small firm guy, but who wouldn't like a taste of biglaw if he/she is even slightly competitive?  It's really up in the air, but I would like to take a stab at just about anything.  Like I say, JD beats BS like a full house beats a pair.

jsbowen

• "Straight cash, homey"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2007, 10:32:58 AM »
JSBowen, you mentioned treating school like a full-time job and your concern about the finances, are you going to continue working while you are in school? I've continued programming while I'm in undergraduate, and it has worked out well. What kind of IT work do you do JS?

I'm not planning on working during law school, which means nothing but student loans and/or scholarships for income.  My wife working is not an option with the little one.

I'm a little bit of everything in IT.  Mostly do networking/system admin, but I also enjoy web design/dev. and have programmed when necessary. 

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2007, 05:02:24 PM »
I've decided to apply and hopefully attend law school this fall because I'm interested in practicing IP law in the field of biotechnology and or pharmaceuticals.  I've been a scientist for six years now and I'm about done with working at the bench.  I hope to incorporate my MS in Physiological Science and law. I hope to become a judge.  In addition, I also want to be a role model to my daughters (3yo and currently 7mo pregnant) and show them that it is possible to balance motherhood with a career. 

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 10:50:21 AM »
I had a good solid 11 year career with UPS, which I gave up to follow my fiance to another state, we parted ways I came home and have floundered every since.  Law has always interested me, but it was something I always told myself I couldn't do.  I took the LSAT a year ago and didn't do well at all, I was finishing my M.S. in Human Resources and didn't dedicate enough time and energy.  Since then I've been obsessed with proving that I can do it.