Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: the other-people PS  (Read 780 times)

lexylit

the other-people PS
« on: September 04, 2004, 09:36:45 PM »
i have read (and dished out) the advice that we need to be careful, when writing about someone else (e.g. heroes, role models, grandparents, students), to not make the PS become more about the subject than the writer.

so i wrote an essay i'm feeling good about for michigan and duke, whose questions ask about what qualities it takes to do well in law (mich) or an individual who has had an impact on your life (duke) but i'm a little concerned about the aforementioned. if my piece is well written and discusses what i learned from people, am i probably safe? it says a whole lot about the virtues of my teachers/mentors, but i'd like to think it says something about me too  :-\

how to tell?

mukhia

Re: the other-people PS
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2004, 11:31:55 PM »
Ask someone (trusted) who does not know you too well (or perhaps just on a one-dimensional level) to read it and see if they think it says what you want it to say about you.

newy

Re: the other-people PS
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 12:57:12 PM »
I'd say as long as your PS is personal and says a lot about you, the optional essays don't have to say a thing about you.  Obviously, writing that your hero inspired you because of his amazing honesty and courage actually does say a lot about you, but I don't think it necessarily has to be so direct and obvious.