Law School Discussion

Addendum RE: A SINGLE grade

Addendum RE: A SINGLE grade
« on: December 28, 2006, 02:01:32 PM »
sooooo...I received a FAIL in a random "health advocacy" 2-semester course, this is how: it was a two semester course and the administrators registered the students into the course (since it wasn't open to everyone, you had to go through a whole application/interview process to get in).  I never got registered for the second semester so the "Incomplete" grade I received for my first semester (students were to receive a grade at the end of the second semester) lapsed into a "Fail." 

My school does not have a "Retroactive Add" policy, so I could not add the second semester of the course and receive my actual grade.  I've talked to the main administrator for the course, and he has written a letter stating that I have passed both semesters of the course.  but, I still have a FAIL on my transcript. 

my question is should I send in an addendum regarding this single grade on my transcript, along with the letter the administrator has written?  I've looked through previous posts about addenda but haven't seen anything that concerns only one grade on a transcript.  I feel like I should explain the FAIL, rather than leave it unanswered on my application.  Is this appropriate?

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Addendum RE: A SINGLE grade
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 02:40:57 PM »
If this is really the way it went down, the registrar's office at your UG should be able to change that for you.  It's not as if they can't override the system and change the F to a letter grade, as long as you have written evidence from the professor that you deserve a grade.  Haven't you spoken with them?

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 02:48:09 PM »
yea, I have spoken to every single person possible...right down to the dean of the college...they all said, "sorry, nothing we can do."  I went to a huge public university that just looooooves bureaucracy and saying no.  they mentioned that I could possibly/maybe have the grade changed if I proved that the instructor had "malicious intent" in not registering me...which wasn't the case...he was just lame.

looks like an addendum is the best I can do?

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 02:58:18 PM »
show up at the administration office with a lawyer.  I am not kidding.  That makes me really freakin angry.  There is no reason for them to not change that.  They messed up, they should fix it.
Otherwise I would say send the letter from the Dean or whoever, along with your own letter briefly explaining what the other letter is.

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 03:25:04 PM »
I know, makes me angry too...I spent many, many weeks/months freaking out about this while I was still an undergrad (graduated in '05)...it's really just a matter of them going into my record and changing an administrative FAIL into my earned PASS grade...they are ri-di-cu-lous...I had pretty much put this all behind me, until August of this year when I decided I wanted to pursue a law degree and saw how bad that FAIL looks on my transcript...the worst part of all is that it brings my GPA down by .05...which is alot in law school land...poo.

thanks for your help on this guys...I think I'll just send in that letter and my own short & sweet addendum...just so they know I would never FAIL a class purposefully

wolfpack2

• I should be reading cases....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 12:34:11 AM »
At first glance of the subject I thought "move on whiner" but after reading what happened I say write one for sure.  I know I would be weary of an F on anyone's transcript no matter how good the rest of their grades were.  I agree with everyone else too, get an attorney to go with you to the office, I bet they'll be able to change it then.  That isn't fair to you.

Last King of Edinburgh

• Born to rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 04:34:27 AM »
What was the cumultive gpa for you after that semester? Was it lower than a 3.2? if yes, then definitely write an addendum.