Law School Discussion

Re: Nannies Don't Want to Work for Black Families
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2006, 11:48:22 AM »
I may be off base here and the contents of the article aside, does it really matter if there are people who do not want to work for African American families or Caucasian families?

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2006, 07:37:43 PM »
and African-American cabbies don't often want to pick up other African-Americans because they don't believe they tip as well...
stereotypes abound regardless of ethnicity.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2006, 08:39:15 PM »
::stirs pot:: I bet the Jack and Jill moms share nanny info.

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2006, 08:52:53 PM »

:D :D

sidebar...I only found out about J&J last spring.  I'm mad late :-\

One Step Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2006, 10:24:47 PM »
and African-American cabbies don't often want to pick up other African-Americans because they don't believe they tip as well...
stereotypes abound regardless of ethnicity.

You know that Africans and Caribbeans have a tendency to look down at my people. Don't trip. :( Thinking black people don't tip and thinking they aren't as good as you are two different kind of things.

Umm don't trip, all manner of people tend to look down on African-Americans including African Americans themselves--or did I just imagine statements like "I'd go to the white doctor"

edit: Just one more reason why we as a community can't get ahead... :(

One Step Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2006, 10:37:15 PM »
umm homie don't even lie  :D I do remember AA coming out your lips  >:(  You ain't right.

naturallybeyoutiful

• Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2006, 08:40:32 AM »

lol  You are wrong for that one!  ;)

redemption

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2006, 09:05:15 AM »
The problem may be as much about class as race, said Kimberly McClain DaCosta, a Harvard sociologist ...

[snip]

Ms. DaCosta is an African-American parent herself. She and her husband, who is Caribbean, have successfully employed several nannies for their three children. Still, the hiring process has been tricky. They preferred a black sitter, who would instantly understand matters like how to do their daughter’s hair. At one point, Ms. DaCosta scouted playgrounds, so she could spy on nannies’ skin color as well as behavior; another time, she placed a race-neutral ad, and hid by the window as the prospective nannies drove up, sighing with relief when a black one appeared.

This cracked me up.

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2006, 11:15:38 AM »
As inflammatory as some of the statements seemed, it turns out that the racial slurs in the piece were sanitized or paraphrased per the Times's policies.  Mr. Boone also shared that Caribbean nannies were especially reluctant to work for black families because they had negative perceptions of African-Americans. Some of it too seemed to do with some idea of “prestige” among the nannies.  Although they themselves often live in less than savory neighborhoods, they will refuse to work in certain neighborhoods because it’s “below” them.  For example they may refuse to work in Harlem or the Southside even though there are very upscale portions in both areas.     

Most of the blded doesn't surprise me.  Black Caribbeans often beleive the stereotypes that filter out about blk Americans (see Mary Waters).

::)

I don't even know how else to respond to that bullskit.

Oh I know that. Doesn't surprise me either; Black Africans often feel the same way. It makes me angry more than anything. The idea of people who come to the US and benefit because of the ish that Black Americans persevered through, but then look down on Black Americans - it's astounding and maddening to me. It's bad enough when White folks hate on us, but this? >:( and ::)

Is it even more maddening that other African Americans do too??  It's not a foreign black v. black american thing......it's a no one wants to work for black people thing.

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2006, 11:17:24 AM »
nukkas need to spend more time with their kids anyway.