Law School Discussion

« on: December 28, 2006, 10:19:51 AM »

Re: Nannies Don't Want to Work for Black Families
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 10:25:16 AM »

In an exception to the usual stroller parade of black sitters with white children, some white nannies do care for black children — and experience slights because of it. Margaret Kop, a Polish sitter in Chicago, said that on a recent playground visit, “one of the other nannies asked me, ‘Where did you find that monkey?’ ” On the way home, Ms. Kop cried, stung by the insult to the child she loved.

:( :(

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 10:32:55 AM »
That's hard core.  My parents had live in housekeepers when we were kids and they were always from the Caribbean (St Kitts, St Lucia, Barbados, etc).  They know people on most of the islands, so they were able to use their connections to find someone.  It would have been next to impossible to find a Bermudian for more than an occaisional sitter.  In fact, many people here (both black and white) have Filipina nannies.

pikey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 10:47:14 AM »
I had a nanny until my family moved to another state, then it was daycare.  I always assumed it was a trust thing coupled with increased COL, but now I wonder . . .

It might be because you were older too.  I would think a nanny would be more crucial when kids are really young.

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 10:53:19 AM »
“We have problems getting people to certain areas because of logistics,” said Barbara Kline, the owner of White House Nannies, which Ms. Jackson contacted. “I’m always worried people will interpret it the wrong way.”

Riiiight. ::)

pikey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 10:55:01 AM »
I had a nanny until my family moved to another state, then it was daycare.  I always assumed it was a trust thing coupled with increased COL, but now I wonder . . .

It might be because you were older too.  I would think a nanny would be more crucial when kids are really young.

Good point.  I'll have to ask Mom, next I talk to her.

:D

I didn't realise that racism was so rampant amongst the nanny set.  I had always planned on having some type of help with my kids because I'll have no family around (if I stay in the US) and will prolly have to work late some of the time.  Then again, their dad will have more flexible hours.

pikey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 10:58:45 AM »

Good point.  I'll have to ask Mom, next I talk to her.

:D

I didn't realise that racism was so rampant amongst the nanny set.  I had always planned on having some type of help with my kids because I'll have no family around (if I stay in the US) and will prolly have to work late some of the time.  Then again, their dad will have more flexible hours.

Agreed.  Hopefully, should I have kid(s), by the time I have kid(s), this will be less of a problem.  How's that for plucky optimism?

The world looks awefully rosey!  Maybe you should take off those glasses.  ;)

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 11:03:48 AM »
In the year 2015 babies will change themselves and We will be able to afford robot nannies who work in 12 hour shifts upon a 2 hour battery charge.

hey it could happen!

pikey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 11:04:19 AM »
In the year 2015 babies will change themselves and We will be able to afford robot nannies who work in 12 hour shifts upon a 2 hour battery charge.

hey it could happen!

I want a Rosie from the Jetsons.

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 11:05:46 AM »

hey it could happen!

I want a Rosie from the Jetsons.

yah Rosie was mad cool!