Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Want to work in Oregon  (Read 1400 times)

Duke

• View Profile
    • Email
Want to work in Oregon
« on: February 27, 2004, 06:32:33 PM »
I have applied to six schools--each school in Oregon and Case Western, Pitt and Penn.  I plan on living/working in Portland, OR and would like to stay in Oregon for school.  On the other hand, I am interested in bioethics, health care law and IP as it relates to biotech and have a background that is related to these interests.  The latter schools each have specific programs that I believe would be of great value and interest.  I am in at three and should get into all but Penn.  I hear mixed things about staying in the state you want to work in and going for the speciality programs you are interested in, even if it's far from home?  Any thoughts?

sagemenscircle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Want to work in Oregon
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 07:29:07 PM »
If you plan to practice law in Oregon, I would STRONGLY recommend going to school locally. The network is far more important than the school unless you get into the top 14. Also, individual school specialty rankings are worthless- the overall ranking is what is important. See similar discussions at "www.lawschoolinsider.com" discussion board. I also suggest you talk to a couple local lawyers and see what they say. I think they will substantiate my case. By the way, you and I might be working in the same town 3 years from now. I'm looking at the same possibility, although I like Hood Rive even better. Probably too many lawyers there already, tho.
"Est unusquisque faber ipsae suae fortunae"
Every man is the architect of his own fortune.
Appius Claudius

bobfett33

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 03:00:58 AM »
Oddly enough, I would say that I've heard Willammette's name mentioned more than either U of O or Lewis & Clark (L&C being 2nd most common mentioned) in terms of Oregon law schools, and I'm from Portland.

Elwayis#1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 03:46:39 AM »
What do you hear?  I was accepted to Willamette just a couple days ago and am attracted to the possibility of remaining in the Northwest (I'm in Boise currently).  I'm concerned about Willamette's 4th tier status (though 3rd tier is about the best I can do), but the point above about regional reputation is well taken.  So, what do you know about Willamette's regional reputation?  Thanks.

bobfett33

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 04:13:39 AM »
Seems perfectly fine in Portland.

Duke

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 04:25:45 AM »
I appreciate the replies.  Thanks.

From just talking with lawyers around Portland, I have come to understand that up until the last five or ten years, Williamette was considered the premier law school in Oregon.  As the rankings became more well known and influential and as Portland has became a somewhat more sophisticated urban area, the reputation and prestige of L&C rose higher.  Being between L&C in Portland and UO in Eugene (less expensive, research university setting) must be difficult.  Salem also has a mixed reputation as a place to live. 

Overall, I believe a degree from any of the Oregon schools is fine if you plan on staying in the Pacific NW. 

Personally, I have lived in Portland since 2000 and really enjoy living here.  I am staying as open minded as I can and feel that I can make a go of it anywhere.  My nature is to avoid debt, yet finding a balance between all of the relevant factors is also important. 

Sorry about the length of this reply. 

Disclosure, I'm JamesB over on law school numbers.com.  I noticed you (Bobfett) were applying at UO, me too, good luck.

Thanks Duke