Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: St. John's ($) or Hofstra ($$$)?  (Read 1361 times)

nydcli12

• View Profile
St. John's ($) or Hofstra ($$$)?
« on: December 27, 2006, 11:48:15 AM »
OK, folks.  Here's the skinny:

Scholarship offers:

St. John's - $10k a year
Hofstra - $25k a year

I've been in DC the past few years, but I'm a long island native.  I'd be happy practicing in either NYC or LI.  Both are close to home.

Please advise. :)

BTW, I got dinged by Fordham and I'm still waiting to hear back from Brooklyn and Cardozo.

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: St. John's ($) or Hofstra ($$$)?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 02:51:54 PM »
Ha man I am in the EXACT same situation (in terms of having those scholarship offers ); honestly, from my understanding, Hofstra is strictly for long island; I mean, almost no shot at anywhere in NYC from what I have heard.  St. John's is without question a better school and I am choosing that over Hofstra simply because I don't want to be limited to LI (it's essentially between Rutgers-N and St. Johns for me right now).  However, if the aid is a big draw and you want to stay in long island, why not go Hofstra?  I mean, really it comes down to whether one finds the prospect of exclusively being in Long Island appealing; I figure St. John's gives you a little more prospects as far as NYC metro is concerned, and DEFINITELY increased prospects for DA, etc. opportunities in NYC.

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 03:26:40 PM »
What are your numbers?
USD 2010

nydcli12

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 11:02:56 AM »
I'm with you.  St. John's is clearly the better school, no doubt about it.  The difference is scholarship offers, however, is really significant.  I suppose the question becomes, is St. John's THAT MUCH BETTER than Hofstra to justify graduating with an extra $45,000 in debt?  At the end of the day, it's still a tier 2 school.

I will say this, though.  The fact that Hofstra is DEAD LAST in NY state bar passage rate (below even Touro) raises all types of red flags for me.

Anybody else want to weigh in?  Any St. John's students who chose the school over Hofstra?  Any Hofstra students?

nydcli12

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 05:49:28 PM »
Really?  Very interesting......

If money wasn't an issue, what made you (and other students you've talked to) choose Hofstra over St. John's?

What's it like over at Hofstra?  How has your first year been?

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 07:09:24 PM »
Personally, I'd take St. John's no questions asked.  Unless you want to be completely limited to LI, it's almost a no brainer IMO.  St. John's has a far better reputation.
USD 2010

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 11:05:20 PM »
  Unless you want to be completely limited to LI

This is absolutely not true at all. If you have questions PM me, I'm not going to spend my time arguing here and I'd rather not talk about things in an open forum.

I could have gone to a number of T1s and I chose Hofstra.

Okay, so you won't be completely limited to LI, but any good, well paying job will be nearly impossible for a Hofstra graduate off of LI.  Why is a NYC law firm going to go to Hofstra when they have all the T14s, Fordham, Cardozo, Brooklyn, St. John's, Seton Hall and Rutgers all right there, which all have better reps than Hofstra.

I'm far from a prestige whore, but unless I've been completely misled by those who have been through the process, you will be severely limited going to Hofstra unless you're top 10% of your class.
USD 2010

nydcli12

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 12:27:55 PM »
Thanks for the responses....

I think we can agree that St. John's has an overall better reputation than Hofstra (the degree of which can be debatable), but again, we return to the question of $$$$.

Is the slightly better reputation worth an extra $45k in debt?  I don't know about the rest of you, but to me, that's a significant number.

chevelle, I'm going to PM you.

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 01:36:15 PM »
Thanks for the responses....

I think we can agree that St. John's has an overall better reputation than Hofstra (the degree of which can be debatable), but again, we return to the question of $$$$.

Is the slightly better reputation worth an extra $45k in debt?  I don't know about the rest of you, but to me, that's a significant number.

chevelle, I'm going to PM you.

It all depends on the job prospects coming out of school A vs. school B.  If you will make up that 45k rather easily due to a better reputation offering better jobs, then yes, it's worth it.  If the school that's more expensive specializes in an area of interest to you, or has better placement in whatever you want do to, it's worth it.  If none of those are true, then it's really just a matter of visiting each school and deciding which one you think you'd be happier at. 
USD 2010

Jackie Chiles, ESQ.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who told you to put the balm on?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 08:07:08 PM »
whoever said that hofstra has the lowest Bar passage rate is wrong according to USNEWS
Hofstra - 68.6
CUNY - 63.9
Touro - 65.2
NYLS - 64.3

Still with the NY average at 75% Hofstra has serious work to be done, for example Albany has a 77.5% rate and they do not have to worry about being under the average. I go to Hofstra and my friend who is going to the law school(free ride) said I am not worried about the bar passage rate I just have to study harder. ANYWAY . . I would very very easily go to St.John's PT over Hofstra FT, and that is a very real possibilty . . .I will easily accept taking summer courses during my first year to catch up on credits. A 86% bar passage rate is hard to pass up.