Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Recommender wants me to write it myself  (Read 1134 times)

M2

Recommender wants me to write it myself
« on: September 04, 2004, 05:18:44 PM »
This could be really good or bad...

Anyone have any idea how to approach this?
The recommender has a  BS in Mathematics from Princeton, a Ph.D. in Mathematics from Harvard University, and a J.D. from Columbia University.

How can I match anything he could possibly write???

He says that he wants me to download examples of LORs and look for good "questions to ask myself" and then use those for the LOR.
He says he will "help", but all that really means is that he will sign his name to it.

NYKnicks

Re: Recommender wants me to write it myself
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2004, 05:22:46 PM »
I actually had a recommender tell me the same thing. I'm not entirely sure if I should just give him all the "materials" he needs so he can slap up a recommendation. I guess in my case, the recommender's reasoning is that he has not written a LOR for a law school applicant before so he wants sample LOR's, as well as a basic outline of what he should write...which pretty much means I'm writing the whole damn thing except for maybe a few little things he wants to add. To be honest, I'm actually thinking about asking someone else, I mean I'm under the impression at the moment that whatever he puts together is going to be pretty generic.

M2

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2004, 05:32:00 PM »
Well this guy is a little different.

He had a stroke a few years ago so he can't type or write. I have a feeling that is why he wants me to write it. Either that or he's just lazy.

hmm what to do

Jennifer10

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2004, 06:22:52 PM »
I asked 1 of my professors to write me a rec and he said the same thing.  He said that I can write it (I was actually thrilled to) and that he'll look it over when I'm done (editing, etc.,) and then he'll sign his name.

Use this to your advantage!!  It's a good opportunity!

thinknpositive

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004, 06:24:55 PM »
Well this guy is a little different.

He had a stroke a few years ago so he can't type or write. I have a feeling that is why he wants me to write it. Either that or he's just lazy.

hmm what to do

or he doesn't have the slightest clue who you are

just write a good one

say that if anyone brings world peace it will be you

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004, 06:37:03 PM »
I'm jealous!

M2

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2004, 06:58:19 PM »

or he doesn't have the slightest clue who you are

just write a good one

say that if anyone brings world peace it will be you

Actually its the exact opposite. We have a good relationship. I have taken 3 of his classes in the past 4 years, and he is the one that got me interested in law school to begin with. He also helped me with the LSAT for many hours, and gave me a few books.

Yeh I guess this is a good opportunity though...I can say pretty much anything, and it iwll be as if he wrote it.

"I have never encountered someone of such intelligence and strength of character..."
haha ok maybe thats a bit much, but I can have some fun with this.