11 (22%)
Karl Rove (View Results)
9 (18%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Your Worst Section?

Re: Your Worst Section?
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 03:28:53 PM »
hey liz,
since i remember that you are bad (or not as good) at games, i assume that you are good at RC.  my issue with RC is that of timing.  I can finish a RC section in 40 minutes with -2.  Is there anything I can do to increase my RC speed?  Does it involve reading faster?  Or do I just get faster with practice?  I have some 35 PT's left to do before June.  Oh and right now i am just doing sections, as opposed to full-length tests.

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 08:43:04 PM »
f-ing reading comp.

Yeah, f-ing reading comp.

I'll trade you some of my 98% average on RC if you could give me some games action.

Games come so natural to me...is it a game/rc dichotomy here or what?

seems to be. anyone equally strong or weak at both?
Dec 06 had me -0 on both.

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 11:04:36 PM »
I HATE games :(

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 08:52:37 AM »
I'm taking June.....I'm pretty averagely mediocre, so I'm hoping to bring everything up.

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 09:23:55 AM »
I don't know anyone who's naturally good at both games and RC. I was -3 for RC on my first no-prep diagnostic, and ended up with a -2 on the actual LSAT after what seemed like thousands of hours of studying. At the same time, I was something like -12 or -14 for LG on the first no-prep diagnostic, and was -2 for LG on the LSAT. Meh.

almost the exact same here...i was -2 rc on my first ever diag, and ended up with -2 on the real thing.  games, on the other hand, i was something like -13 on my first diag and then -2 on the real thing...i still consider my games section my weakest by far, though.  i got a lucky draw on the actual lsat and had games i could do (i was getting -5 or -6 per section on practices right up to the actual test).

LizPendens™

• The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2006, 04:43:17 PM »
hey liz,
since i remember that you are bad (or not as good) at games, i assume that you are good at RC.  my issue with RC is that of timing.  I can finish a RC section in 40 minutes with -2.  Is there anything I can do to increase my RC speed?  Does it involve reading faster?  Or do I just get faster with practice?  I have some 35 PT's left to do before June.  Oh and right now i am just doing sections, as opposed to full-length tests.

jeez, erick, i'm sorry i missed your post. didn't see it until now.

probably the best person to give advice on improving RC would be someone who  had a huge score increase rather than someone who was naturally stronger at RC as, yes, i am (which isn't to say i've always scored well...i've wiped out on occasion on RC, particularly during stressful timed and proctored diagnostics).

in addition, everyone is different, and what works for some may not work best for others. some make voluminous notes, underline/circle, and symbols. others don't mark up the passage at all. some read the questions before the passage and others don't. some score best by taking time to really review and understand the passage taking up to 5 minutes and others spend no more than 2 minutes before heading to the questions. some go back to the passage and look up every answer in the passage, while others never or rarely refer back to the passage. and some do the general questions before the specific questions, or do the passage/question sets out of order and others don't. given enough time, it would be ideal to try everything and see what works best for you.

for the record, I:
 - spend 5-6 minutes on the passage and rarely refer back to the passage when i've finished analyzing it.
 - i underline and circle like a madwoman, to the point of annoying those around me with my pencil scratchings. (sorry, peeps)
 - take lots of notes and use many symbols.
 - do the passages and questions in order.
 - even though i'm a humanities person, i actually find the science passages the easiest; they seem to respond best to my manner of analysis.

that said, i do think you can improve with some focused practice and using the guidelines from the the Superprep, perhaps Nova, and the tips in the RC links i've included in the stickied links thread at the top of page one. I've heard suggested that doing a "churn and burn" of RC--doing nothing but RC sections, dozens a day for hours, and redoing the ones over time and over a given number wrong, every day, is the way to go if it is your worst section (i'm doing this with games and it does seem to help though fun it is not).

i've heard it said a number of times that:

practice --> familiarity --> insight --> increased skill --> accuracy --> speed

I've also heard that if speed is the only issue, then your only issue is not really speed, as if you really understood the passage what the questions were looking for you'd have little or no issues with speed. i dunno. i think some of it is also having a well-honed and systematic process of analyzing the passage, ways of evaluating what the questions are asking for, and knowing what the right AND wrong answer choices look like.

i'm going to *try* to work up a  detailed analysis of a passage and questions soon, and i'm going to bump a couple of good threads that will hopefully bring around some of the experienced RC experts lurking around here to answer questions.

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2006, 09:42:04 PM »
I generally do worst on the LR sections; at best I'll get like 20/25 right. I think i'm getting better at them though.

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2006, 11:50:00 PM »
Thanks.  Maybe I have to improve things other than mere speed in order to increase speed.  (Does that even make sense?  haha)  This at least gives me directions to improve, however.

hey liz,
since i remember that you are bad (or not as good) at games, i assume that you are good at RC.  my issue with RC is that of timing.  I can finish a RC section in 40 minutes with -2.  Is there anything I can do to increase my RC speed?  Does it involve reading faster?  Or do I just get faster with practice?  I have some 35 PT's left to do before June.  Oh and right now i am just doing sections, as opposed to full-length tests.

jeez, erick, i'm sorry i missed your post. didn't see it until now.

probably the best person to give advice on improving RC would be someone who  had a huge score increase rather than someone who was naturally stronger at RC as, yes, i am (which isn't to say i've always scored well...i've wiped out on occasion on RC, particularly during stressful timed and proctored diagnostics).

in addition, everyone is different, and what works for some may not work best for others. some make voluminous notes, underline/circle, and symbols. others don't mark up the passage at all. some read the questions before the passage and others don't. some score best by taking time to really review and understand the passage taking up to 5 minutes and others spend no more than 2 minutes before heading to the questions. some go back to the passage and look up every answer in the passage, while others never or rarely refer back to the passage. and some do the general questions before the specific questions, or do the passage/question sets out of order and others don't. given enough time, it would be ideal to try everything and see what works best for you.

for the record, I:
 - spend 5-6 minutes on the passage and rarely refer back to the passage when i've finished analyzing it.
 - i underline and circle like a madwoman, to the point of annoying those around me with my pencil scratchings. (sorry, peeps)
 - take lots of notes and use many symbols.
 - do the passages and questions in order.
 - even though i'm a humanities person, i actually find the science passages the easiest; they seem to respond best to my manner of analysis.

that said, i do think you can improve with some focused practice and using the guidelines from the the Superprep, perhaps Nova, and the tips in the RC links i've included in the stickied links thread at the top of page one. I've heard suggested that doing a "churn and burn" of RC--doing nothing but RC sections, dozens a day for hours, and redoing the ones over time and over a given number wrong, every day, is the way to go if it is your worst section (i'm doing this with games and it does seem to help though fun it is not).

i've heard it said a number of times that:

practice --> familiarity --> insight --> increased skill --> accuracy --> speed

I've also heard that if speed is the only issue, then your only issue is not really speed, as if you really understood the passage what the questions were looking for you'd have little or no issues with speed. i dunno. i think some of it is also having a well-honed and systematic process of analyzing the passage, ways of evaluating what the questions are asking for, and knowing what the right AND wrong answer choices look like.

i'm going to *try* to work up a  detailed analysis of a passage and questions soon, and i'm going to bump a couple of good threads that will hopefully bring around some of the experienced RC experts lurking around here to answer questions.

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2006, 02:04:20 AM »
Logical Reasoning is the devil! I hate that section which sucks b/c it's half of the test.

Reesespbcup

• Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2006, 06:45:08 AM »
Logical Reasoning is the devil! I hate that section which sucks b/c it's half of the test.

Agreed. Games are my best I LOVE them. I missed 0 on the Sept/Oct test (AK! I can't even remember exactly when the test was!). I am contemplating  delaying LS for a year and re-taking the LSAT in Dec 2007. My problem with LR especially (although also with RC a bit), was that I really felt like the answer I chose was right and the one the test-makers chose was arguable. Furthermore, timing was never an issue for me- I always did just as well timed as un-timed. It's like I never really learned how to "think like the test-makers". I know the classic wrong answer types for all the questions but that didn't always help. Anybody have experience overcoming this kind of issue? If I knew I could overcome this, I would re-take for sure but I spent 6 mo+ studying and did every practice test from 1990 and up and still scored high 150s- low 160s every time. Except the actual test, of course--- scored 156 on that  :P