Law School Discussion

Is it a bad idea to let your parents proof read your personal statement?

My dad is a smart guy, and very bluntly honest, so i have had him being the main proofreader of my drafts. But lately he has been irrating me. He has a very narrow mind of what I should be writing about, and i can tell he is just being completely biased when he reads mine. First he was telling me that i just needed to fix up my punctation, but now with every draft he is just saying he doesn't like them and keeps making suggestions i don't agree with at all. I am very close to just not caring anymore what he says, and just send it in because he also can't tell me what exactly is wrong with it, he just says they aren't good. Ive given him about 6 different drafts of completely re-written statements, and on none of them he has told me anything specific to chagne, just says he doesn't like them. Is it time to call it quits with him you think?

Re: Is it a bad idea to let your parents proof read your personal statement?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 09:45:13 AM »
it helps to have many readers. reading the same thing over and over will make a person biased. give it to other readers and maybe wait before giving it to your dad again. ask for constructive, concrete suggestions. tell him "i don't like it" is not useful. send it in when *YOU* think its ready, its your statement, not your dads.