Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where else should I apply? 166, 3.8 from Columbia  (Read 956 times)

DJ JD

• View Profile
Where else should I apply? 166, 3.8 from Columbia
« on: December 26, 2006, 01:09:26 PM »
I'm from LA, and would prefer to be in NY or LA. I've applied to USC, UCLA, Loyola, NYU, Columbia, Fordham, Georgetown, GW, Penn.

Is there anywhere else you think I should apply? Is it worth applying to Stanford/Harvard, or do I have no shot of getting in? Would rather save the $80 if there's no chance...

Thanks for your help...

annita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Where else should I apply? 166, 3.8 from Columbia
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 01:37:59 PM »
Check out LSN.

It looks like Stanford and Harvard would be unlikely (unless you are a URM -- in which case you'd have a decent shot).

A couple non-URM candidates have gotten in with 167/3.7-8 over the past few years, according to LSN, but it seems like they had excellent soft factors.  Do you have work experience? Anything else distinctive? If so, it might be worth the application fees. If you have money to spare, it might be worth the fees anyway... But the stats aren't good.

If you are willing to do Northern California, you should consider applying to UC Berkeley. Boalt has taken many people with numbers similar to yours.

pazzo83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 01:44:53 PM »
Also looks like you'd be a lock for the lower half of the T6 (i.e. Columbia, NYU, & Chicago).

Schruted

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 02:20:32 PM »
Also looks like you'd be a lock for the lower half of the T6 (i.e. Columbia, NYU, & Chicago).

I doubt that a 166/3.8 really makes non-URMs a lock for T6.
NYU 2010

pazzo83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 02:23:52 PM »

3.8 from Columbia though?  That's gotta factor in somewhere.

HBAAL 2

• Power of Attorney!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 02:26:14 PM »

3.8 from Columbia though?  That's gotta factor in somewhere.

it factors in but not that much.  the big thing is the numbers because thats what affects their rankings. unfortunate, but reality.
Back for round 2.  Harvey Birdman is in the house...(at least until next semester starts)

Schruted

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 02:36:52 PM »
I'm thinking a 3.8 from a good school buys you a decent chance at Chicago and Columbia, and LSAT takes you the rest of the way, either to the acceptance pile or to the trash. For NYU, the process seems to be reversed.
NYU 2010

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 02:41:38 PM »
I'm from LA, and would prefer to be in NY or LA. I've applied to USC, UCLA, Loyola, NYU, Columbia, Fordham, Georgetown, GW, Penn.

Is there anywhere else you think I should apply? Is it worth applying to Stanford/Harvard, or do I have no shot of getting in? Would rather save the $80 if there's no chance...

Thanks for your help...

Do you mean NY/LA after graduation?  Or for school?
Any top school will be able to put you there after graduation if you do well.
Add Boalt and Vandy
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

annita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 03:28:14 PM »
For top fourteen schools, I think a lot is going to depend on softs for you. See this profile: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Kaffine1984

RUMike

• Sr. Citizen
  • I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 09:15:53 PM »
It's more depressing that that person applied almost entirely to reach schools. That what happens when you don't do your research or you do but you think too much of yourself to follow it.