Law School Discussion

What is up with the diversity statement?

safado

• View Profile
What is up with the diversity statement?
« on: December 25, 2006, 07:53:41 PM »
I don't see a requirement for anything other than a PS at most of the T14 schools I am applying to.  Yet everyone seems to be talking about these diversity statements, I'm not sure quite what they are.  I was only planning on doing a PS and Resume, do you think that will be ok?

Catherine Morland

• the improvement of her mind by extensive reading
    • View Profile
Re: What is up with the diversity statement?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 07:57:16 PM »
I don't see a requirement for anything other than a PS at most of the T14 schools I am applying to.  Yet everyone seems to be talking about these diversity statements, I'm not sure quite what they are.  I was only planning on doing a PS and Resume, do you think that will be ok?

Read Harvard and Yale's apps closely. Basically there's a section that says "any additional materials". Also, schools with optional essays like Duke, Michigan and Penn usually have a topic about diversity in one of them.

safado

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 09:19:44 AM »
So just how "optional" are the optional essays? Without them are you much more likely to get dinged?

Ascoltami

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 09:23:06 AM »
It all depends on your numbers…

Catherine Morland

• the improvement of her mind by extensive reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 09:26:32 AM »
Anecdotally, plenty of people on this board have gotten in without them. There was a rumor that not writing a "Why Penn?" was an automatic deferral, but that hasn't proven true.

However, my pre-law advisor was pretty adamant about writing them. They usually have a one page limit -- so why not write one or two? If anything, going above and beyond the bare minimum proves that you're really interested in the school.

(And yeah, it probably does depend on your numbers.)