Law School Discussion

Now I am just annoyed

Now I am just annoyed
« on: December 26, 2006, 10:59:55 AM »
I have spent the last few weeks perfecting a unique personal statement. Basically its about when I was in college and got an office job assisting the neurotic president of a company (Like the devil wears prada except it wasnt funny) and how  I changed while working there (both in developing essential skills & my desires/goals). It doesn't address specifically why I want to be a lawyer but the gist is there.

Now heres the problem...Over half of the applications I want to submit ask for a statement that indicates fully your reasons for studying law, why you chose XYZ school, significant extracirricular/civic activities, work experience, etc. Now I feel like the one I wrote is totally wrong and I have to write a new one.

I am submitting a resume that shows all of the extracurricular, honors & work experience I've done. I don't think my expriences with these things are the most compelling story. I guess I am just confused now because everyone is telling me to make my statement stand out and most of the guidelines seem to be making it generic and processed.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

Re: Now I am just annoyed
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 12:18:16 PM »
i used a story simliar to yours..my boss was crazy too and it really changed me but i used it as an addendum for ucla's entertainment program (since he was an entertainment lawyer)

i think showing a growth in character should be good enough but meh what do i know.