Law School Discussion

Applying now but retaking the test in February

Re: Applying now but retaking the test in February
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 07:52:59 AM »
Right, but I think LSAC is closed today, so no new reports are being sent out until tomorrow. Kind of annoying.

-Peter

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 07:56:46 AM »
I simply need to notify them of my February retake...do we think an email would suffice?  I've emailed ad people before and gotten no response, so I'm weary of this. 

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2006, 08:02:28 AM »
I think it depends on the school. Personally, I would just type up a generic letter - put your name and LSAC ID number on it, and send it to all the schools you are applying to. If you are applying to a lot, call the admissions department and ask what their policy is. Some schools will probably require concrete documentation. So, just to be on the safe side I would probably send a letter.

But again, I am dead serious, I really don't suggest banking on taking the february test and significantly improving your chances of admission for next fall. Unless your score skyrockets, you know?

-Pete

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2006, 08:10:12 AM »
Pete-
I feel like I am an extreme case, in that I completely had a mini-panic attack during the December LSAT and my score shows that.  I was averaging in the high 150's and my December score was NO WHERE near that.  I know that I can significantly improve (more than 10 points) and I think it will show determination and perseverance if I retake in February and knock it our of the ballpark...you know? 

I completely agree with people who suggest taking a year off, but I feel like I am one of those people that has all their s*** together (sans the lsat score) and I think it would be a complete waste for me not to apply this cycle.  I have AWESOME LOR's and a kick-ass personal statement that I worked on for four months.  I was banking on this December LSAT score, but of course, I f'ed it up by completely freaking out (hence my name).  I know that I can do better, and I am willing to study my ass off for the February test to show that I can do it.  I have already applied to my four schools, so it's not like I have to call/write a ton of schools. 

Thank you for your advice and help :)  I will probably try to call the schools today and if that doesn't work, I will send a letter. 

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2006, 08:18:22 AM »
Freakoutgirl,

Good luck. I was not even suggesting taking a year off. Even though, it is probably one of the best things I ever did for myself. I applied for the 05 cycle and I was rejected at all the schools I applied to primarily because of my low LSAT score. But, I took a year off and got an awesome job, travelled, read a lot of books, and did a lot of community work. I took the LSAT again this december and did a little bit better, slightly improving my chances at some of the schools i'd like to go to. So it is not always the worst thing in the world. But, beyond that, if your ultimate goal is law school at any cost, there are a lot of lower tier schools that you would probably get into and kick ass in if you apply to them now. Plus, believe me, if you get into a lower tier school, it will spare you a lot of anguish over not getting in anywhere at all. Even though you may personally believe your situaton is extreme, the reality is, schools are already filled up pretty close to their maximum by the middle of march or so. But, good luck with whatever you do. I sincerely hope it all works out for you.

-Peter

Bouzie1982

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2006, 11:25:00 AM »
Peter- solid advice. 

One addition

Although most classes will be nearly full by march, Many appear to hold off til the end on more questionable applicants so that they can offer spots to perhaps overqualified late apps.

Also, almost all schools are forced to go to their waitlists.  This could be beneficial to Febrauary takers for two reasons

1) If you already have a score that will qualify you for a WL the February test might be a way to get you off the WL (if everyone on the WL has an LSAT of 162-165 and you pull out a 170 on the Feb LSAT I'd think that you're in prime position to be one of the firs ton the WL to be offered a spot)

2) Your new score received late in the cycle may earn you a spot on the WL.  Its not ideal to be waiting until August for a decision from your top school, but its gotta be better than going to a school that is less desirable to you.

It seems that the Feb lsat can only help you from the position youre in.  Clealry its not ideal, but sometimes you have to play with the cards that you are dealt.

jsia

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2006, 01:20:42 PM »
it is extremely stupid and short-sighted to go to a crappy law school just because you are "dead set" on going to law school next year if you think you are capable of doing better on the LSAT. I really don't understand why so many people have this "law school or bust" attitude. Yes, all law schools teach you the same stuff. No, all law schools are not the same when the time comes to get a job. I mean, really. It's one year. One of the many, many years that you have. Take the time off, study for about six months, improve your score by five or more points, and go to a better school instead of barely getting into a school that you are not really happy with. Why is that such a hard concept to accept?

Eratz who is to say that i will improve. I scored well below my practicing averages. I don't know why it's hard for you to accept that I and some others would rather go to law school next year, even if it's a lower ranked school, than to wait a year.

FWIW, speaking from experience - I was one of those people who was dead-set and all, "Oh, I HAVE to go to law school in the fall of 2007;  I'll have worked for two years in a law firm and THAT is the perfect amount of time - this is exactly how I planned *everything*!  I'm going to get my LORs over the summer, take the September LSAT, write my ps while I wait for my score, and apply early!" 

Yeah, things didn't work out that way.  I cancelled in September, planned to retake in December, and then finally made the decision to retake in February due to unfortunate circumstances and put off my application for a year.  Now I get to save money at my job for another year, get more legal experience, mature even more, and go through a much more leisurely application process because all I have to do is retake the LSAT and fill out the apps come the summer.

My point is: I understand those who feel it's necessary to go to law school right away, but ersatz has a great point.  It's NOT imperative.  You have your whole life to be an attorney.  Even if your LSAT score does not improve, your application will be stronger because you will have more time away from undergrad and more "real life" experience (check out Northwestern's incoming class' average years of work experience).  So if plans don't go exactly how you had hoped, it's not that big of a deal to change them a bit; things can go even better than you originally planned.

I've been out of undergrad for 4 years.

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2006, 02:43:17 PM »
There are a few reasons but mainly i am extremely eager to go now. I studied my butt off and didn't score my average practice test score on the lsat, so who is to say that i will the next go round and then i'll just have delayed it one more year. The other reason is that i'm 25 and I already have delayed applying a few years. I have a really good job-and have the potential to be very sucessful professionally/financially if i do not go to law school but law school is something that i have always wanted to do.

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2006, 02:54:21 PM »
Here is my answer to the original question: Your applications will include a blank for dates you have taken (with your scores) or plan on taking the LSAT.  Make a point of writing down the Feb/2007 date.  As someone else mentioned, if you don't do this schools may base their decision on your other score.

I put in a few applications at the beginning of November to some safety schools, and I took the December LSAT.  All three schools said their policy was not to make admissions decisions on candidates who are taking a future LSAT.  Keep in mind that you might end up waiting until March to get any acceptances (only you can say whether you think it is worth it).

Good luck!

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2006, 04:10:26 PM »
U won't know until u do it!!!!  What the heck??  Seriously, if LAWYERING is what u want 2 do, what do u have 2 lose.  Best Scenario, you take the Feb Test and improve your score.  Worst case, you're rejected and have 2 wait next cycle anywazzzz. 

If Law is what u want 2 do, give it your all.