Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Wire  (Read 8904 times)

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
The Wire
« on: December 25, 2006, 06:27:14 PM »
Since y'all talking about TV shows, what do you think about this one.

Best show in TV history, period.

Completely unfuckwitable.

Inquirer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Wire
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 07:39:32 AM »
Since y'all talking about TV shows, what do you think about this one.

Best show in TV history, period.

Completely unfuckwitable.

Indeed.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 08:48:10 AM »
I just recently started looking at it, but I've found it very enjoyable. It has less "bull" than most other tv-series and movies tend to have, and a good story. Thumbs up.

Inquirer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 02:05:49 PM »
I just recently started looking at it, but I've found it very enjoyable. It has less "bull" than most other tv-series and movies tend to have, and a good story. Thumbs up.

Oh -- you have to watch every season!!

The characters have so much depth and it's great how the writers humanize even the worst elements in society. Even though I loved the previous seasons, the last season was really meaningful to me. Since I used to teach in the city (as did one of the show's creators), I totally identified with the storylines involving the teacher's relationship to the kids and the effects of outside factors on the student's lives. I really felt like the writers captured exactly what happens in school system in real life and weaved it into a really powerful fictonal account.

Beyond the outstanding writing (I mean, how many other shows are out there that really make a gun-toting, gay, stick-up boy seem like a regular cat? Or that can really illuminate the struggle of a drug dealer - like Boadie - who's considering ratting out his supplier??) it's great to me that a lot of the characters are based on actual Baltimoreans and that well-known people in the city and/or state are acting on the show (did you catch the former governor of Maryland playing a security guard this season?)

That show is the only reason I get HBO. I seriously had HBO for the season and cancelled it a few hours after I watched the last episode. I can't wait for the final season. It's supposed to be about how the media affects the war on drugs in the city and since one of the other creators of the show used to write for the Sun, I'm thinking it's going to be great too  :)

The sad thing is that the writers and the cast get passed over year after year for awards when, sorta like EY said, the show is probably one of the best shows on television - ever.

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 02:07:17 PM »
Always seemed to offer a solid balance as far as viewpoints go. Not all the dealers are moron thugs and the cops are definitely not all made out to be heroes. Gotta respect that. One of my favorite shows ever. The first season was simply eye-opening for me.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 08:44:39 PM »
i like the wire thought i think the 1st season was superior to any of the rest
...man, you was who you was before you got here

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 10:00:08 PM »
There's nothing better.  Omar is my favorite character in television history.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 03:10:41 PM »
i missed the last two seasons so i bought 3 and am watching 4 on demand.. I didn't realize that Howard's law school Dean was a- former mayor of baltimore and b- acted on The Wire this season.. interesting stuff.. one of my favorite shows hands down
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Inquirer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 03:38:10 PM »
Blk,

The "Hamsterdam" concept seen in season 3, was based off of comments former Mayor Schmoke made about legalizing drugs in Baltimore while he was mayor  :)

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 09:02:12 PM »
season 2 with the dock workers and all that...i wasn't feeling that at all i thought that would be my last season watching it...i think next season will be really good if they stick with the kids storyline
...man, you was who you was before you got here