Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ok need advice...  (Read 1522 times)

Poops

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
ok need advice...
« on: December 25, 2006, 04:25:15 PM »
I got to U of T and have 3.65 GPA... since i thought i was a genius, i took lightly the seriousness of the LSAT... so i just went and wrote the test without proper preparations... i didn't even study for the Reading Comprehension ( :o)... anywho... got back my score and it was 148 lmao... anywho.. i really want to go to the U of T law school and this time i am preparing for the test... do you think my first score would affect my chances of going to U of T? and what's the minimum LSAT for that school
thanks and peace out
P.S. i am applying next year

will27

• View Profile
Re: ok need advice...
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 10:16:09 AM »
If you go to the lsac website they have a section where you can look at Canadian law schools. In this section they have a matrix of gpa vs. lsat scores and the likelihood of acceptance for most of the Canadian universities (it usually applies to regular applicants). I believe that UofT averages LSAT scores (you can verify that by calling them in the new year), so keep that in mind for your specific case. I took the testmasters course in Toronto this past September and thought it was a solid course and I highly recommend it. Good luck!

Poops

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 12:13:22 PM »
If you go to the lsac website they have a section where you can look at Canadian law schools. In this section they have a matrix of gpa vs. lsat scores and the likelihood of acceptance for most of the Canadian universities (it usually applies to regular applicants). I believe that UofT averages LSAT scores (you can verify that by calling them in the new year), so keep that in mind for your specific case. I took the testmasters course in Toronto this past September and thought it was a solid course and I highly recommend it. Good luck!

hey Will i am debating between taking Powerscore and TEstmasters.??? u advise testmasters eh??

will27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 01:53:51 AM »
I have a lot of friends who went to NYU, Columbia and UCLA for law school and they all did testmasters (they all scored 99th percentile). They recommended it to me and I thought the course was solid. They have 17 lessons, 4 proctered diagnostics (plus 10-12 additional diagnosics online) and a whole host of supplemental questions online. I am sure most schools have this, but what I liked the most about testmasters was:

1) all their instructors must have scored in the 99% percentile. My instructor, Ian, really was an intelligent guy (on his first diagnostic he scored a 164 with no training....i know that pissed me off too!), I mean that guy never got anything wrong and was really good at explaining things. Plus he always made himself available for extra tutoring if needed.

2) In Toronto the class size is small because testmasters is new here, so you feel more comfortable in class and the instructor can really focus on specific issues that any one student may have.

3) They analyze every question to death, so you really understand why the answer is in fact the answer.

I didn't score as well as my friends did (87th percentile), but I was very happy with that, since I am applying as a mature student. When I started the course I scored in the 52nd percentile. Now that doesn't necessarily mean that my experience will happen for everyone, but everyone in our class definitely increased with time and instruction.

hope this long-winded answer helps!

Poops

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 04:36:47 PM »
I have a lot of friends who went to NYU, Columbia and UCLA for law school and they all did testmasters (they all scored 99th percentile). They recommended it to me and I thought the course was solid. They have 17 lessons, 4 proctered diagnostics (plus 10-12 additional diagnosics online) and a whole host of supplemental questions online. I am sure most schools have this, but what I liked the most about testmasters was:

1) all their instructors must have scored in the 99% percentile. My instructor, Ian, really was an intelligent guy (on his first diagnostic he scored a 164 with no training....i know that pissed me off too!), I mean that guy never got anything wrong and was really good at explaining things. Plus he always made himself available for extra tutoring if needed.

2) In Toronto the class size is small because testmasters is new here, so you feel more comfortable in class and the instructor can really focus on specific issues that any one student may have.

3) They analyze every question to death, so you really understand why the answer is in fact the answer.

I didn't score as well as my friends did (87th percentile), but I was very happy with that, since I am applying as a mature student. When I started the course I scored in the 52nd percentile. Now that doesn't necessarily mean that my experience will happen for everyone, but everyone in our class definitely increased with time and instruction.

hope this long-winded answer helps!

Hey Will. thanks for your thorough answer... i need advice like yours; so it's very nice of you to provide such detailed info... so far testmasters have no schedule for Sept. ( i called them today)
and i contacted U of T... phew, they don't average score... so there hope hah
Thanks once again!!

thestradgirl

• LSD Obsessed
  • where dreams you dare to dream really do come true
    • MSN Messenger - hanui@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - thestradgirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 04:39:59 PM »
U of T doesn't average scores?! YAY!!!!!!!!!
this guy
------------------------------
I say that good painters imitated nature; but that bad ones vomited it.

Miguel de Cervantes (1547-1616)