Re: 1L year: Tell all here
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2006, 12:38:36 PM »
Coward  :D

Lily Jaye

• A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2006, 01:19:22 PM »
Y'all going to post your grades when they come out?

I'm sure I'll be enough of a hysterical wreck for everyone else to know.  :-\

It's not fair my brain keeps tormenting me with dreams of As and A-s.  >:(

throwawayname

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2006, 01:21:18 PM »

we've already gotten ours back.

contracts: B-
torts: B-
civpro: C+

that's what we get for spending our time posting on LSD under our breadboy account.

rhombot

• hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2006, 01:42:29 PM »

i'll do you one better and post them before they come out.

contracts: A
crimlaw: A
torts: A
legal skills: A

i'll post corrections later, if i remember.

rhombot

• hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2006, 01:50:02 PM »

By that, do you mean it has more exceptions or special rules?  If so, those rules were part of the reason why it broke down.  The exceptions (like "last best chance to avoid the accident" and all that) were means of mitigating the harshness of contributory negligence in certain cases were it seemed unjust to deny recovery simply because the plaintiff was also careless.  Eventually, the exceptions and special rules seemed arbitrary and everyone decided it made more sense to move over to a comparative fault regime, since that's likely what the juries were doing internally anyway.

yes, the special rules, and the whole interaction with assumption of risk, with them being similar rules but having different standards. i have the same understanding of why the contributory negligence regime broke down, and would add the whole overlap thing between cont. neg. and assumption of risk.

redemption

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2006, 01:56:35 PM »

we've already gotten ours back.

contracts: B-
torts: B-
civpro: C+

that's what we get for spending our time posting on LSD under our breadboy account.

Hmm. You did better than I expected.

redemption

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2006, 01:57:00 PM »

gunner

rhombot

• hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2006, 02:10:46 PM »

gunner

that's for my classmates to decide.

so far, i've not received any "gunner notes" in my mailbox.

bridget

• crepes=delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2006, 02:14:54 PM »
FWIW, and only slightly off topic, my brother gave me Turow's "One L" for Christmas today, and 100 pages into it, I'm already freaked out.  I understand why people tell you to not read this book before law school...

that's a popular brother present, it seems- I got a copy too.  reading it has actually made me more excited for law school, which scares me a bit.

have any of the 1Ls read it?  how does it compare with your experience?  I'm a little skeptical because it was written in the 70s and some things have to have changed since then, even if much remains the same.

rhombot

• hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2006, 02:20:10 PM »
FWIW, and only slightly off topic, my brother gave me Turow's "One L" for Christmas today, and 100 pages into it, I'm already freaked out.  I understand why people tell you to not read this book before law school...

that's a popular brother present, it seems- I got a copy too.  reading it has actually made me more excited for law school, which scares me a bit.

have any of the 1Ls read it?  how does it compare with your experience?  I'm a little skeptical because it was written in the 70s and some things have to have changed since then, even if much remains the same.

my experience is not even remotely similar. there's far, far less pressure than the book suggests.

if i was to recommend a pre-law school book, it would be "the hollow hope". it's not about law school but about law and public policy. but it's the best law book i've read so far. none of the books i read about law school have done a very good job of conveying what it's like.