Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best month to take LSAT?  (Read 881 times)

pinkcheese

• View Profile
Best month to take LSAT?
« on: December 25, 2006, 05:44:59 AM »
Hi, guys,

My impression is that generally one should avoid taking the September test. Am I completely wrong about that?

I realize all four tests are just as hard as the other, but anything I should know perhaps about the trends (?) in each month?

thanks

RITTANDOCHO FORGOT HIS PW

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Best month to take LSAT?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 05:52:39 AM »
feb is crappy because it's undisclosed. other than that, it's all the same.
lsat 171, 179
gpa 3.5

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 10:47:22 AM »
I dont believe in trends, but for the past 2 years the Dec tests have been a little easier.

JoeGibbsRedskins

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 11:29:38 AM »
I like Feb because the prep course i am retaking comes during  the time when i am on christmast vacation for school. And  when i do get back to school the prep course will be in its last two weeks while the first two weeks of school would be starting.

So it should be basically all LSAT in that time.

The june test is tough totake while you are in school because of finals in May and studying for finals in late April.

The september test is ok if you do not take summer classes. But the test seems harder.

And the december test is a pain in the ass to study because of final exams and the holidays.

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 01:56:29 PM »
Joe, why the heck are you retaking a prep course? You said you'd get a 173. I doubt any prep course can help you improve from that.

JoeGibbsRedskins

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 02:47:00 PM »
Joe, why the heck are you retaking a prep course? You said you'd get a 173. I doubt any prep course can help you improve from that.

I already signed up. And i still missed 6 on games.  It is only 279.

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 03:46:34 PM »
Any difference in the tests themselves is corrected by the scale (which is made with the data from the past few years of test performances) - the myths about avoiding the June/Sept test because all the 'overachievers' take the test then are false.

I found the June test to be the best time for me for the following reasons:
1) It would give me ample time to study (unlike the Feb test - since I started studying about this time last year). Although I did have my final exams in May, I was able to study full time for the three weeks prior to the exam.
2) If I screwed up in June, I could retake in September and still get my applications in early.
3) 12:30PM start time is better than 8AM (although I would consider this a minor reason)

Your personal circumstances may vary - there's no one best time for everyone to take the LSAT. But do keep in mind that many schools do not accept scores from the Feburary test for admission that year (for example, if you are applying for Fall 08, the last test many schools will accept the score for is Dec 07). Taking the Dec test for admission the following year will be accepted for admission, but it may put you at a disadvantage since you won't be able to complete your application as early as you could if you took the test earlier.
University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN

KingJamesFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - everhopeful2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2006, 04:19:13 PM »
Any difference in the tests themselves is corrected by the scale (which is made with the data from the past few years of test performances) - the myths about avoiding the June/Sept test because all the 'overachievers' take the test then are false.

I found the June test to be the best time for me for the following reasons:
1) It would give me ample time to study (unlike the Feb test - since I started studying about this time last year). Although I did have my final exams in May, I was able to study full time for the three weeks prior to the exam.
2) If I screwed up in June, I could retake in September and still get my applications in early.
3) 12:30PM start time is better than 8AM (although I would consider this a minor reason)

Your personal circumstances may vary - there's no one best time for everyone to take the LSAT. But do keep in mind that many schools do not accept scores from the Feburary test for admission that year (for example, if you are applying for Fall 08, the last test many schools will accept the score for is Dec 07). Taking the Dec test for admission the following year will be accepted for admission, but it may put you at a disadvantage since you won't be able to complete your application as early as you could if you took the test earlier.

thats my reasoning. we'll see how I feel after the test in june though.

kenny32

• Sr. Citizen
  • You're sorry I'm sorry Everybody's sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006, 06:44:13 PM »
the free time to study in the summer shouldn't be underrated. good solid studying will improve your score like no other.
Narrator: You had to give it to him: he had a plan. And it started to make sense, in a Tyler sort of way. No fear. No distractions. The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide.

Tyler Durden: Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing.

RITTANDOCHO FORGOT HIS PW

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2006, 06:49:38 PM »
I dont believe in trends, but for the past 2 years the Dec tests have been a little easier.
DEC 2005 SCALE IS LIKE BUTT RAPE
lsat 171, 179
gpa 3.5