Law School Discussion

Is my personal statement too long...

Is my personal statement too long...
« on: December 21, 2006, 10:20:28 AM »
If u are willing to give feedback PM me.

Thanxs!

Re: Is my personal statement too long...
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 10:32:22 AM »
anything over 2 pages is probably too long unless you received the Nobel Prize or are Mother Theresa (for example). keep in mind, ad-comss read hundreds of these - why bore them to death with a four page story of how you overcame your fear of babysitting in middle school  ;D

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 10:38:29 AM »
I wanted to submit a doublespaced and singles spaced version. When we say 2 pgs we talking double spaced or single?

Anyone willing to read it?

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 11:33:23 AM »
2 pages double-spaced. it shouldn't be a novel, it should be concise and to the point.

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 12:16:49 PM »
Like someone else said, I made my main PS two pages, double spaced (.75 margins on each side). If the school allow a longer statement and asked for some additional info that I didnt include (like why you want to go to law school), i just incorporated it into my original PS.

good luck

Commie Panda

• Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 06:08:18 PM »
I'm confused though because for the schools that do mention a limit, they just say "respond in two pages" without mention single-spacing and double-spacing. I'd assume if they don't specify, they can't hold it against you.

Then, some other schools say, limit to 2 pages double-spaced/under 500 words. In that case, it's a little more clear, so you obviously have more to go by.

JGR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 06:18:01 PM »
Yes, it is too long.

Commie Panda

• Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 06:34:58 PM »
I'm confused though because for the schools that do mention a limit, they just say "respond in two pages" without mention single-spacing and double-spacing. I'd assume if they don't specify, they can't hold it against you.

Then, some other schools say, limit to 2 pages double-spaced/under 500 words. In that case, it's a little more clear, so you obviously have more to go by.

Always assume double spaced.  Even if they couldn't technically hold it against you, no adcomm wants to slog through two single spaced pages.

Hmmm, I'm just thinking...what I keep on reading here is that "adcomms don't have time to read through such long personal statements." I've also read, however, that they're obviously very efficient at what they do. I'd think that they would have to by nature be very good at what they do, i.e. culling through applications in a matter of minutes and picking up the key points. I don't know, just tradtionally, never heard of the "double-spaced" assumption, whether in class or otherwise. If the professor wanted it double-spaced, he'd always specify.

In any case, mine is 2 pages single-spaced and there's no going back right now. I understand the importance of being concise but I think there are also circumstance in which what needs to be said can't be said in two double-spaced pages or less...hopefully the adcomm can appreciate that.

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 07:01:29 PM »
Without any other parameters, I'd go for 2 pages, double-spaced, 1" margins, no smaller than 11-point font (Times Roman).

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006, 06:58:50 PM »

Always assume double spaced.  Even if they couldn't technically hold it against you, no adcomm wants to slog through two single spaced pages.

Hmmm, I'm just thinking...what I keep on reading here is that "adcomms don't have time to read through such long personal statements." I've also read, however, that they're obviously very efficient at what they do. I'd think that they would have to by nature be very good at what they do, i.e. culling through applications in a matter of minutes and picking up the key points. I don't know, just tradtionally, never heard of the "double-spaced" assumption, whether in class or otherwise. If the professor wanted it double-spaced, he'd always specify.

In any case, mine is 2 pages single-spaced and there's no going back right now. I understand the importance of being concise but I think there are also circumstance in which what needs to be said can't be said in two double-spaced pages or less...hopefully the adcomm can appreciate that.

Same here. Only a few of my apps specified 2 pages and none of those said double-spaced. I want them to get a complete picture of me and why I'm applying to their institution, so they got single spaced. If they hold it against me, it wasn't meant to be.