Law School Discussion

Grey's Anatomy

Re: Grey's Anatomy
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 08:03:14 PM »
Awww...I love Izzie.  She bakes when she's upset!  She's got boobs and hips and is smoking hot in panties!  She actually says when things are whack (like with the 5 babies) instead of always being totally pc like everyone else on television!  She called out McSteamy on his *&^%!  She likes to nest!

George drives me nuts.  I want to slap him for being so mealy-mouthed and pathetic.

And Meredith is annoying, but mostly because I worry I'm a bit too much like her for my own good...

The bolded wasn't wack..that was Izzie being her normal, judgmental self--which is why I can't stand her character.  She's been that way from the jump--judging Meredith about risking her career to be with McDreamy, yet she does the same thing with Denny.  She's hypocritical and acts like a 13 year old sometimes.  She's very lame.

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 08:07:53 PM »
Awww...I love Izzie.  She bakes when she's upset!  She's got boobs and hips and is smoking hot in panties!  She actually says when things are whack (like with the 5 babies) instead of always being totally pc like everyone else on television!  She called out McSteamy on his *&^%!  She likes to nest!

George drives me nuts.  I want to slap him for being so mealy-mouthed and pathetic.

And Meredith is annoying, but mostly because I worry I'm a bit too much like her for my own good...

The bolded wasn't wack..that was Izzie being her normal, judgmental self--which is why I can't stand her character.  She's been that way from the jump--judging Meredith about risking her career to be with McDreamy, yet she does the same thing with Denny.  She's hypocritical and acts like a 13 year old sometimes.  She's very lame.

Agree to disagree on the bolded, but I like the fact Izzie is judgmental.  It's a real emotion, and one TV too often forgoes in favor of an "anything goes!" mentality.  She's not perfect and she fails, but at the same time, I think she tries.  And she's hot.

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006, 08:09:54 PM »

Agree to disagree on the bolded, but I like the fact Izzie is judgmental.  It's a real emotion, and one TV too often forgoes in favor of an "anything goes!" mentality.  She's not perfect and she fails, but at the same time, I think she tries.  And she's hot.

sure.  :D none of them are perfect, they are all very flawed.  it's just that judgmentalness is a character trait that i could not have in anyone who would possibly be my friend.  been there, done that.  that's why i like the mer/cristina friendship.  they call each other out on their bs, but they don't judge each other, which is what a real friendship should be.  and izzie wonders why they leave her out of their  "secret best friend meetings"  ::)

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 08:26:54 PM »
the best thing about the show to me is that its multicultural...its like hollywood thinks that every thing has to either be a black show or a white show...but thats not how the world is i like that they have everybody represented but dont make a big deal and dont beat you over the head with it...i mean the chief is black burke the best cardio surgeon in the country is black...mcdreamy is white but is burke's  best friend....i think its an excellent show with excellent writing and im not ashamed to say i like it

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 08:28:29 PM »
the best thing about the show to me is that its multicultural...its like hollywood thinks that every thing has to either be a black show or a white show...but thats not how the world is i like that they have everybody represented but dont make a big deal and dont beat you over the head with it...i mean the chief is black burke the best cardio surgeon in the country is black...mcdreamy is white but is burke's  best friend....i think its an excellent show with excellent writing and im not ashamed to say i like it

that's mainly bc Shonda made it a point to have colorblind casting.

One caveat though, Burke and McDreamy aren't best friends by a long shot  :D

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2006, 08:38:58 PM »
well it doesn't seem that way now but if you remember when they went fishing and before burke had is surgery it was alluded to that they were really good friends...

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2006, 08:46:24 PM »
great show, but when are we getting a new episode?   :(

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2006, 08:47:21 PM »
well it doesn't seem that way now but if you remember when they went fishing and before burke had is surgery it was alluded to that they were really good friends...

but a few episodes later burke was pissy and talking about how derek failed him as a surgeon.  i mean, they are friends (sorta), but i wouldn't say best friends.

great show, but when are we getting a new episode?   :(
Jan 11, 2007

Lily Jaye

• A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2006, 08:48:20 PM »

Agreed.  

It seems like the medical shows are the ones most directly addressing race these days.  I'm having a hard time figuring out what it is about the post-ER med drama phase that's making it that way.  I suspect that, with Scrubs(*), it was the fact that they hired Angela Nissel.  (Not only is she biracial, but she was also in one of my sister majors.  Yeah health policy pride! ;)).  I don't have a good explanation for things like House (which is far more negative, but is on target in terms of how race ultimately impacts patient care).

Or if it only seems like that because I rely on my TiVo for everything, so it's more likely to introduce me to shows like that. :-\

(*)Yes, Scrubs is realistic.  I strongly believe that, until last season, it was the most realistic medical show on t.v.  

Lily Jaye

• A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2006, 08:49:49 PM »
Jan 11, 2007

Oooh.  Are there any spoilers out yet?