Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT score addendum  (Read 1934 times)

Essential

• View Profile
    • Email
LSAT score addendum
« on: December 22, 2006, 11:58:27 AM »
I have an 11 point jump on my lsat scores. I know I need to include an addendum, but where do I begin? I psyched myself out of it...

Thanks for any help!
:): UNC
A: UNC ($), UGA, Wake ($$), Temple ($$), WCL, UofK ($), Howard ($$), NCCU ($$), Campbell ($$)

prelaw200

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT score addendum
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 06:30:06 PM »
Write something about an event that caused the inability to adequately prepare such as illness.  Its a valid excuse and impossible to disprove.
Me Go Cornell

michelle d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 08:03:21 PM »
I went up 11 points, too.  Which is worse -- not mentioning it in an addendum (therefore leading adcoms to think I blew it off the first time?) or offering a canned [though true] excuse, along the lines of "was ill the first time I took it"?  (Because I don't really think that's legitimate.  I scored what I scored.)

I would just as soon not mention it but if it looks bad/worrying to have that much of a difference I'll throw in a few sentences.
U of Chicago 2010.

JGR

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 08:19:15 PM »
Be honest and write an addendum telling them you got lucky the second time.  ;)

seeshu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 08:21:37 PM »
I went up 11 points, too.  Which is worse -- not mentioning it in an addendum (therefore leading adcoms to think I blew it off the first time?) or offering a canned [though true] excuse, along the lines of "was ill the first time I took it"?  (Because I don't really think that's legitimate.  I scored what I scored.)

I would just as soon not mention it but if it looks bad/worrying to have that much of a difference I'll throw in a few sentences.

I went up by 10 points between my first and second LSAT. I did decide not to include an addendum (though sometimes I wonder if I should have, but I figure since I already submitted my apps I should just leave them as is). However, after I submitted my apps UC Davis actually requested an addendum from me.

I would assume it does look a bit strange to have such a huge difference in your scores, so including an addendum might help explain to the admissions committee why you scored significantly better the second time around and therefore influence their final decision.

michelle d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 08:43:56 PM »
Be honest and write an addendum telling them you got lucky the second time.  ;)

That's only half-honest in my case; full honesty would be that I was extraordinarily unlucky the first time and pleasantly lucky the second time in that they did not include the one type of LG I never mastered :) 

I went up by 10 points between my first and second LSAT. I did decide not to include an addendum (though sometimes I wonder if I should have, but I figure since I already submitted my apps I should just leave them as is). However, after I submitted my apps UC Davis actually requested an addendum from me.

I would assume it does look a bit strange to have such a huge difference in your scores, so including an addendum might help explain to the admissions committee why you scored significantly better the second time around and therefore influence their final decision.

Yeah, that does make sense.  Were I on an adcom I would wonder about that much of a jump.  As much as I really hate making "excuses" for myself, I guess this does deserve at least an acknowledgement that it makes my LSAT report unbalanced.  (I'll just have to ignore how whiny I feel writing about how I spent the week of the LSAT sleeping on the bathroom floor, sick as a dog, and dropped 11 points from my practice scores and that's why I decided to retake; in all honesty I didn't study more than a couple hours between my Sept and Dec tests.)  ...Actually I'm not sure what to include in this at all, but I'll reread the addendums section of the Ivey book and write one up.
U of Chicago 2010.

joe23sxe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 10:02:29 PM »
Man up and say that you underperformed on the first one. But make sure to mention that you were indeed very well prepared the first time and didn't just blow it off.

h2xblive

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 10:33:39 PM »
I have an 11 point jump on my lsat scores. I know I need to include an addendum, but where do I begin? I psyched myself out of it...

Thanks for any help!

Bottom line:  if there's a real reason you didn't do well the first time, ie illness, parents died, etc. then write an addendum.  Not taking it seriously enough the first time or studying harder the second time does not warrant an LSAT addendum now that most schools are taking the higher score.

I retook the LSAT and improved my score significantly.  When I asked the schools if they wanted an LSAT addendum, they said it wasn't necessary since they now take the higher score. 

gulllible1

• View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=gulllible1
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 04:04:32 AM »
I had an 8 point jump and also struggled with whether or not to write an addendum. At one point, a friend recommended that I make up an excuse about getting sick. In the end, I decided to just own up to not being as prepared as I could be the first time around and how I made up for that on my second test. At the LSAC forum, some schools (Notre Dame and Davis are the two I remember off the top of my head) did specifically say they wanted an explanation when they heard that the jump was 8 pts. I think many times schools expect the two scores to be less than 5 pts apart, and if you don't specify, will tell you not to bother.
I resolve to be way more obsessed with LSD this cycle.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=gulllible1