Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: academic probation and waiting.  (Read 635 times)

pinkcheese

• View Profile
academic probation and waiting.
« on: December 22, 2006, 03:07:39 AM »
Hi,

I was placed on academic probation for an unfortunate turn of circumstances. This makes it onto my discplinary record in my school which will be erased 8 years after matriculation. So that for me would be 2012.

Am I advised to wait until 2012 to apply to law school?

Or, even if the probation is erased off my record, am I obliged to reveal it?

Thank you.

Lew31

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: academic probation and waiting.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 07:52:05 AM »
You have to reveal, even if expunged off record.

pinkcheese

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 08:19:23 PM »
This was for plagiarism on an essay, but as you might guess it was unintentional and I would say I was very unlucky--the professor was an insecure untenured under 30 visiting professor. not to say that i didn't learn my lesson.

So yes, i am obliged to reveal everything--given that, should i apply before or after 2012? or would it really matter, the way you see it?

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 08:22:16 PM »
you have to tell EVERYTHING bc if schools find out that you lied, you can have your acceptance revoked.  i was on academic probation too (but not for an offense as serious as yours) and i got into Mich...all I did was add an addendum (one paragraph) about it and voila!

Just tell the truth.
Columbia 3L

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 08:25:22 PM »
bc if schools find out that you lied, you can have your acceptance revoked.

Not just acceptance, but also when you go before the bar, if they find out, you may not be admitted to the bar and will have wasted three years of law school and be unable to practice law.

that too  ;)
Columbia 3L

Reach

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 08:25:36 PM »
Handle it maturely and honestly and you should be okay...at least much better than you would be after waiting 6 years for no reason.  Remember:  honest and succinct yet fully explanatory.

pinkcheese

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 08:39:08 PM »
Thank you all for the advice--I will not wait until 2012 to apply, and I will also explain the incident succinctly and accurately.

How much would something like this hurt my chances at law schools? No way to tell, it seems--I may call the schools or ask over email.

MisterManager

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 08:42:05 PM »
even if you do wait till 2012, you should still tell the school.
I always keep it real and i call no man mister.

pinkcheese

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 09:25:43 PM »

Just explain it in an addendum to your application, especially if it was unintentional and you can explain that clearly. Don't blame your professor, however, in anything more than a passing manner ("a mixup," it was a "miscommunication," an "unintentional error," etc.). Don't make him out to be the bad guy...share the blame.

Also...are you sure it's called "academic probation?" That's usually what they put people on who go under a 2.0 or under full time hours. Sounds to me like you got disciplinary action taken against you of some sort.

I will explain everything fully and truthfully--but my offense fell under the portion of the definition of plagiarism that says 'reckless disregard' for academic sources (improper citation method), as opposed to 'intentional' misrepresentation (buying a paper online). and I will not blame the professor--it was just part of the process.

Yes, my school calls it 'academic probation'--which I also found bizarre bc kids found guilty of plagiarism are ALWAYS suspended in my school--which goes to show my offense was unique; students on probation are those people who fail classes and are warned to shape up...