Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UT 1L Taking Questions  (Read 6801 times)

General2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UT 1L Taking Questions
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2007, 04:44:26 PM »
Jer, have you not been following lsn? They've already waitlist-accepted at least three people on there, and one of my friends who hasn't updated it on there.
W&L Class of 2010

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2007, 04:45:47 PM »
Jer, have you not been following lsn? They've already waitlist-accepted at least three people on there, and one of my friends who hasn't updated it on there.

nope, i haven't been following the waitlist updates on lsn.
too depressing.
trying to convince myself i'll be better off at SMU

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2007, 02:38:13 PM »
I think I'll probably end up going to UT in '08.  I'm very interested in U.T's exchange programs and would love to study in Britain.  My dad's a Brit, and I have lots of family still over there.  I'm assuming it's super competitive.  Do you know the criteria for acceptance into the program?

ElectricalStorm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2007, 02:14:53 AM »
Here's the application - http://www.utexas.edu/law/academics/curriculum/studyabroad/studyabroad_application.pdf

I haven't heard of any GPA minimums or the like.
UT 1L

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2007, 12:04:20 PM »
Thanks.   UT is such a great school. 

RollerOfBigCigars

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2007, 02:41:58 PM »
Hey Elec Storm,

I visited recently. The law school itself is certainly interesting (the furniture in particular). One thing that threw me, however, was my guide’s mention of an off-limit floor in the library. He mentioned this mysterious off-limits floor as if it were nothing, and, when I inquired, the floor turned out to be the location of faculty offices and a faculty reading room. This exchange struck me as odd since every school, no matter the level of truth in their claims, like to play up how approachable faculty are, etc., but this guide seemed to think nothing of the impact his statements would have on these matters.

I asked him What Of Office Hours? and he said I could take a back staircase up to the floor during office hours no problem. I just couldn't use the elevator. Wah? Can you speak to the effects of this segregation? Perhaps one could walk up some back staircase "no problem" but it seems to me that the arrangement could create more distance between students and teachers than arrangements I have seen at many other schools.

I love UT on paper, for its faculty interests and research/clinical opportunities, but experiences like these undermine my confidence in all the great things I hear about the faculty and the collegiality of the school.

Thanks 

Will Hunting

• I wanna go fast
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2007, 03:58:35 PM »
I proctored exams on this level during the fall.  The director of exam proctoring explained to me that other students weren't allowed up there because that is where students with special needs were given their exams.  Some of them required more time because English is not their first language or other instances.  Since law schools are so competitive, students would likely not appreciate knowing which of their fellow students receive 1.5 or 2 times the amount of time the others receive.  To my knowledge, there were no faculty offices up there.  There were private reading rooms in which students took the exams and larger rooms probably used for conferences if I had to guess.  I'll bet we are talking about the same place.  How many "private floors" could there be?!? 
Attending (Tony): UT!!!
In (Paulie): UT($$), BU, GWU, SMU($$$)
Out (Christopher): H,Y,S, Chi, NW, GULC, Boalt,
WL (Anthony Junior): UMich, UVa, Duke, Cornell, UCLA, USC, Vandy, ND, BC

RollerOfBigCigars

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2007, 04:08:35 PM »
I'm not sure that makes complete sense to me. So they close off one floor of the library all year because students who need extra time take their exams there for one week each semester?

The law website has maps of the library: http://tarlton.law.utexas.edu/facility/bldgmaps.html

which show that the 3rd floor is closed to the public. The faculty offices aren't on any other floors listed. In fact, according to http://tarlton.law.utexas.edu/faculty/library.html the 3rd floor of the library is the faculty library "located on the third floor of Jones Hall near the faculty offices." Can a current student speak to this? Is it true that faculty offices are separated in this way from law students? If so, what effects does this have on office hours &c.?

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2007, 04:51:10 PM »
I proctored exams on this level during the fall. The director of exam proctoring explained to me that other students weren't allowed up there because that is where students with special needs were given their exams. Some of them required more time because English is not their first language or other instances. Since law schools are so competitive, students would likely not appreciate knowing which of their fellow students receive 1.5 or 2 times the amount of time the others receive. To my knowledge, there were no faculty offices up there. There were private reading rooms in which students took the exams and larger rooms probably used for conferences if I had to guess. I'll bet we are talking about the same place. How many "private floors" could there be?!?

i had a friend in college who got her dr to write a letter to the college saying she had a.d.d. and needed more time on exams.
so she got to take exams untimed, and with notes.
she really gamed the system and pissed off a lot of people who actually had to work for their grades.

i'm not sure how i'd feel about this in law school.
actually, if i wanted to hire a lawyer and he told me he'd have to bill me for 3 times as many hours as any other lawyer because he had a.d.d. and it took him longer to understand and get things done, i'd get another lawyer

Will Hunting

• I wanna go fast
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2007, 08:23:22 PM »
This was not part of the library.  I guess we aren't talking about the same place.  The place to which I am referring is located on the bottom right of the following link and is not part of the library:

http://www.utexas.edu/law/about/maps/

It's above the area indicated as "Eldman Courtroom" and is located on the fourth floor.  If this is not the area to which you were referring, then my attempt to explain away your concern should be dismissed.  Taken from the UT website:

"For eight years in a row now, national surveys of law student satisfaction with teaching conducted by The Princeton Review have named Texas one of the top ten teaching faculties in the United States, even ranking Texas first one year. Of the nation's top law schools, only Texas and the University of Chicago Law School have enjoyed such consistently high marks for teaching."

I know this is not a typical thing to say when it concerns faculty, but I really wouldn't worry about it at UT.  They attract some of the top legal minds in the world.  Considering UT has a student/faculty ratio of 14:1 and have about 440 students per class, there should be at least 100 faculty members.  According to LSAC, they had 139 and 168 faculty members during the fall and spring respectively.  Considering the amount of faculty and their legal research needs, I wouldn't be too concerned that they have their own floor.
Attending (Tony): UT!!!
In (Paulie): UT($$), BU, GWU, SMU($$$)
Out (Christopher): H,Y,S, Chi, NW, GULC, Boalt,
WL (Anthony Junior): UMich, UVa, Duke, Cornell, UCLA, USC, Vandy, ND, BC