Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: any chance to be accepted?  (Read 2198 times)

rosaline

• View Profile
    • Email
any chance to be accepted?
« on: December 21, 2006, 11:16:40 PM »
hi, i just got score,156, with overall GPA3.3, applied Mature category for all the law school in Ontario except Windsor. Do I still have a chace? what should I do now? I feel really bad. Thanks in advance for your reply.

will27

• View Profile
Re: any chance to be accepted?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 10:59:44 AM »
For York, I believe that they said that a GPA of 70% and an LSAT score in the  65th percentile or above is considered competitive (it's in the PDF on olsas), but there are obviously no guarantees. I have heard from others that you can call UofT and ask them what they consider to be competitive for mature students, but my guess is it's probably more strict than York's requirements. I have known mature students who got into law school with an LSAT score in the low 150s/high 140s, so I think it's really hard to tell just based on GPA/LSAT score. I can say this though, for York you get two cracks at getting in when you apply as a mature student, one through the mature status and one through the regular status. My guess is that you would not qualify via regular status. Hope this helps, good luck! 

rosaline

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 03:19:44 PM »
thanks for your reply. It is the first time to take lsat. I got 13 wrong in the last logic section. IT'S very unusual. Can I explain this to the law school? but it is not because of health reason. anyway,I will call west ontario to know what they consider to be competitive. I want to go to west ontario most.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 06:16:22 AM »
I don't think your chances are that bad.

Don't bother explaining your mistakes on the exam, though.  Even the best testers have off days.  You're expected to perform on the day you write.  It's as simple as that.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

will27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 10:21:20 AM »
I agree with BaboonJ, they won't care why you scored poorly. As you have said, call around and find out what is considered to be competitive. If you think your application falls shy of this then I would consider re-taking the test. Having said that, your work experience and life story may completely out-weigh your LSAT score, so don't jump the gun on re-writing if you feel other aspects of your application are very strong. Good luck!

rosaline

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 10:44:37 PM »
Thanks a lot!

Jeit

• Sr. Citizen
  • It is.
    • ICQ Messenger - 526149
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 03:51:47 PM »
I'm kinda similar, but not old enough for the mature category. I scored a 159 and have a 3.1 with 130 credits of GPA, but it's 3.6 to schools that only consider 60 credits of GPA. I applied to UBC, Calgary, Sask and Dalhousie. To UBC I applied discretionary category because my GPA went straight up from first year to fourth year and I hope that they'll look at where I'm at currently rather than where I was six years ago in very different circumstances.

We'll see.. I'll hope.

rosaline

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 11:40:15 PM »
How to pay for the tuition? If I apply for the schools outside Ontario, the loan can not cover one third of the necessary expenditure. Have you figured out ways to pay for it? My GPA is just similar. It seems I should think about Sask, UNB