Law School Discussion

Deferred at Penn!!!

mgs

Re: Deferred at Penn!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 06:39:17 PM »
I was deferred, too.  I was only going to send them one of each of the "acceptable documents" but if you got in by giving them more, I'll give it all I got.  By the way, what is the proper way of saying "if you let me in, I'll be there"?

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 06:42:03 PM »
I got a deferral notice today as well.

Is Penn one of those deals where everyone who applies EA who is not accepted is deferred and most deferrals are just rejected outright come regular admission time? Or does deferral indicate you're a competitive applicant?

I've also been deferred at these schools:

Georgetown
Texas
Cornell

Same question applies for the three above: is deferral at these four schools indicative of competitiveness and a decent shot at regular admission? Or, since I was early action at all four of them, are they all schools that "gently" reject EA applicants via a deferral and am I more or less rejected?

Thanks.

Towelie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 07:13:35 PM »
I got a deferral notice today as well.

Is Penn one of those deals where everyone who applies EA who is not accepted is deferred and most deferrals are just rejected outright come regular admission time? Or does deferral indicate you're a competitive applicant?

I've also been deferred at these schools:

Georgetown
Texas
Cornell

Same question applies for the three above: is deferral at these four schools indicative of competitiveness and a decent shot at regular admission? Or, since I was early action at all four of them, are they all schools that "gently" reject EA applicants via a deferral and am I more or less rejected?

Thanks.

Penn does admit deferrals. You're talking to one.

yoni

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 07:22:39 PM »
Deferred here too.

I spent all day at work staring at my phone and wondering, and, all the while, the defer letter was sitting in my mailbox. Snail mail is really not good for people who work until 10:00 PM (and that's an early night).

Anyway, let's get some good brainstorming about good ideas as to how to get ourselves in.

Good luck, everyone!

Towelie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 07:25:06 PM »
Deferred here too.

I spent all day at work staring at my phone and wondering, and, all the while, the defer letter was sitting in my mailbox. Snail mail is really not good for people who work until 10:00 PM (and that's an early night).

Anyway, let's get some good brainstorming about good ideas as to how to get ourselves in.

Good luck, everyone!

Sorry to hear that. I got deferred at Penn and NYU the same week too. You'll be okay, I promise.

Rockie

• Scream for me LSD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 09:31:12 PM »
Deferred as well.

Question: In the letter it says you need to send them an updated transcript with Fall Grades. Not only that but they want it sent through LSDAS. Sadly, my GPA went down slightly this past semester and I don't want to send an update to LSDAS which would cause all schools, including those making a decision on me to see it.

Am I screwed here?

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2006, 09:21:00 AM »
I was deferred.  Its ok.  I wasn't expecting an acceptance with 167.  My file is already pretty fat PS, DS, LSAT addendum, Why Penn, and 3 LORs.

I could get another LOR that would correspond with my PS and I could submit a paper (should I do an academic paper or something I've written for work?).  I'm also expecting a promotion at work but that won't happen until late Jan at the earliest. I just don't want to send too much... any thoughts on what might be best?

This is what I hate about this process.  In the real world I could call and say "So I was deferred, if there is something in my application that is giving you cause for concern please let me know so I can try to clear it up."  Somehow in law school admissions this does not appear to be an option.

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2006, 09:24:34 AM »
haven't gotten my deferral yet, but i'm expecting it this afternoon---what kind of stuff is the office looking for? i have a 50 page thesis if they REALLY want it....

Penndude7

• Temple '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2006, 10:18:27 AM »
Also on the deferred wagon. Question: Do I submit my extra letter of recommendation through LSDAS? Is that even possible without resubmitting the whole package? Or do i just go back to my career services? What about extra material...do I just mail it?

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2006, 11:08:57 AM »
Deferred at Penn.
Expected because of unpolished essays, rushed in to meet the EA deadline.
If that NYU decision, should arrive soon, is anything other than acceptance, I'll get ready to write a Why Penn essay. >:(